UPDATE: Politics/Religion no longer permitted again!

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Well, Morrus and I already butt heads, but yeah I could be less antagonistic about it. That's fair.

Fundamental philosophical differences aside (because I think you're completely wrong about that), I never asked for any. I just called out what I think is a crappy response to a criticism.

Not owing someone anything doesn't preclude getting criticism, nor does it make it a good thing when you react to criticism in a less than impressive manner.

I get where you're coming from, I really do.

However, a service being free of charge doesn't magically invalidate criticism of that service, or how it's run, or a given decision related to same. It being free is mostly irrelevant, here. It doesn't make any decision he makes automatically the right choice.

You really think Morrus owes you a response to your criticism? I didn't say anything about your ability to criticize, although that's also up to Morrus' whims, I was talking about your unreasonable expectations that he should respond to your criticism in the way you wish him to. He doesn't owe you anything.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
You also don't appreciate Morrus' communication style?!

Morrus' communications could sometimes use a bit of extra wordsmithing. He is sometimes a bit overly optimistic about how well people will get where he's coming from.

What I do appreciate, however, is the amount of work he puts into the site. Lack of wordsmithing is a small flaw, by comparison.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
You really think Morrus owes you a response to your criticism? I didn't say anything about your ability to criticize, although that's also up to Morrus' whims, I was talking about your unreasonable expectations that he should respond to your criticism in the way you wish him to. He doesn't owe you anything.
Again not what I said. Stop trying to extrapolate meaning that isn't there. Had he not responded at all, that would have been fine.
Not going to get into a whole thing tho. Last I will say is that I find the mindset that ppl don't owe each other anything to be unrealistic at best, and reprehensible at worst, especially when talking about anyone in a position of even minor or situational authority of any kind, and/or public/leadership figures.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Again not what I said. Stop trying to extrapolate meaning that isn't there. Had he not responded at all, that would have been fine.
Not going to get into a whole thing tho. Last I will say is that I find the mindset that ppl don't owe each other anything to be unrealistic at best, and reprehensible at worst, especially when talking about anyone in a position of even minor or situational authority of any kind, and/or public/leadership figures.

I have no position of authority or leadership. I'm just the host here, in a little gaming website. I have my place, and guests are welcome as long as they behave nicely, and they're asked to leave if they act like an ass. Just like most other social situations.

My 'authority' is exactly the same as yours - in your house, I'm sure you have acceptable and non-acceptable behaviour, too. That's not authority. That's just being the host.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I have no position of authority or leadership. I'm just the host here, in a little gaming website. I have my place, and guests are welcome as long as they behave nicely, and they're asked to leave if they act like an ass. Just like most other social situations.

My 'authority' is exactly the same as yours - in your house, I'm sure you have acceptable and non-acceptable behaviour, too. That's not authority. That's just being the host.
That's...an odd position, imo. That is authority. Not only as a host, either.
Even the mods have authority, and thus different and additional responsibilities. As the person who runs a popular website with a distinct community, you have authority within the site and it's community.
Also, when I have guests, the idea that I owe them nothing is complete and utter nonsense, and someon saying that to me would actually offend me pretty strongly.

Also also, "little gaming website"? Facetious much? :)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
That's...an odd position, imo. That is authority. Not only as a host, either.
Even the mods have authority, and thus different and additional responsibilities. As the person who runs a popular website with a distinct community, you have authority within the site and it's community.
Also, when I have guests, the idea that I owe them nothing is complete and utter nonsense, and someon saying that to me would actually offend me pretty strongly.

Also also, "little gaming website"? Facetious much? :)

That's all you. None of that is me. And yeah. Little. This place is pretty tiny.

Look, dude, before this thread I was barely aware of you. Now I just think you're a jerk who has invited himself into my house and is going out of his way to annoy me. Please stop that. If you don't like me, or if you don't like my house, or the expected behaviour here, that's fine - go somewhere else. I don't mind, I promise.

Kaodi

Hero
If "journalism" and drugs are considered politics, we might have picked a bad time to close up shop. Oh well, :D . (But seriously, might we get a ruling on this?)

Remove ads