UPDATE: Politics/Religion no longer permitted again!

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
I'm not sure why anyone should be surprised or even irritated that there is a preferred ideology around here. As Morrus has said, it's his house. In my house, if you were to repeatedly say things that I found offensive, I'd step in, in a way I wouldn't in a genuinely public forum or in someone else's house. That said, I'm dubious that the mods are significantly more likely to crack down on bad behavior by those who are their ideological "side" than those who are not. I've been cautioned once or twice, and my general attitude is "OK, I probably needed to take a step back there, thanks mod, for giving me the opportunity to see that" even if I believe I'm on the "right" side of an issue. And even if I didn't think I crossed any line, again, it's not my house.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Not saying the mods allow this intentionally, they're just far more blind to poor behavior that aligns to their ideology.

We get told that every so often. Usually from both sides of a conflict.

Interestingly, the only bit of moderation that's happened in the current Harrassment thread was me booting someone you'd think I generally *agreed* with out of the thread for poor behavior.

So, there you are.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Dude, I blatantly called Morrus out for what I felt was crappy behavior, and criticized how he runs the site, and I didn't get modded. Multiple mods responded in disagreement to my comments, but that was it.

Say what you will about Morrus, the site, and the mods...they simply aren't trigger happy with ppl they disagree with or lenient with ppl they agree with. They are more fair than the mods at most sites I've frequented.

As for ideology...I wish. Imo, one legit criticism of this place one could make is that it isn't strongly or blatantly enough against the rules to say sexist or otherwise bigoted things.

DarkMum

First Post
Depends on what aspect of it you think is crap. The mods around here take a dim view of sexism and bigotry in general and there's a lively discussion going on right now about women being sexually harassed in game stores and at cons.

As it was exactly that sort of discussion I lost my temper in elsewhere, at the same old mindless repetition of the pattern of discussion about the subject on the internet, that would be the particular crap aspect of it I'm trying to avoid.

It's bad enough I have to live with it in a world I've been fighting to change IRL, so the internet version has been annoying me to the point of plainly speaking (Typing? Whatever...) my mind in response. It's not the fight to end these problems that annoys me, it's the way that discussion of said cause has such an inevitable pattern to it that I don't think I can stand to see it any further without a great deal of unhealthy teeth grinding episodes of my own in the process.

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Well, we do try to make sure that discussion stays limited to threads specific to the topic. And, those threads are not common - they come up occasionally, and then die away for some months. I hope you'll find it easy enough to avoid such topics.

Sadras

Legend
What is strange is that CM which has the freedom to bring up almost any topic and is non-moderated (if that is the right word) is pretty chilled, I would say more so than Enworld. I guess it is the limited traffic that keeps it that way. I find myself wanting to click Laugh for every other post.

I find the comments on Enworld, with its limited topics, give rise to much more snarkiness amongst posters.

Last edited:

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
With Trump being the Republican nominee, I regret that we cannot discuss this once in a life time phenomenon.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
With Trump being the nominee, I am rather grateful I don't have to police the resulting discussion.

Remove ads