• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[UPDATED] WotC To Close Forums - Including D&D and M:tG (aka "Welcome New Forum Members to EN World!

WotC has announced that it will be closing its forums, which they refer to as a "former foundation of our community". The forums will close on October 29th. Of course, WotC's forum members are welcome here at EN World (although the expectations are a little different, so please do check the rules if you sign up!) The forums have been around for nearly two decades, in various incarnations, but WotC cites the rise of social media platforms as the reason for the closure.

WotC has announced that it will be closing its forums, which they refer to as a "former foundation of our community". The forums will close on October 29th. Of course, WotC's forum members are welcome here at EN World (although the expectations are a little different, so please do check the rules if you sign up!) The forums have been around for nearly two decades, in various incarnations, but WotC cites the rise of social media platforms as the reason for the closure.

Here's the announcement in full.

Choosing to retire a former foundation of our community was not an easy decision, but we feel that we must adjust our communications structure to reflect where conversations about Wizards of the Coast games are taking place.

Social media has changed significantly over the last ten years, and discussions about games aren't exclusive to company-hosted forums. The majority of community conversation takes place on third-party websites (such as Reddit, Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, and many other fantastic community-run websites), and it is up to us to evolve alongside our players.

We encourage past and current users to retrieve any information you want to retain from the Community Forums for both Dungeons & Dragons and Magic: The Gathering. The shutdown will occur on October 29, 2015, at 10:00 a.m. PT. We want to provide enough time for our forum members to move their content, and we recognize that given our forum's vibrant user base and extensive history, this may take time. Any information still on the forums on the cut-off date will be deleted.

Thank you to all of our past and current forum users. You helped build our community into what it is now, and we look forward to continuing to interact with you on our many active social platforms.

WotC's Trevor Kidd had a little more to add.

"I could hop onto all the forums having this discussion or I can say it here and let it disseminate. I'm choosing the former. Moving away from running our own forums doesn't mean we think longer conversations or fan sites/forums aren't good or necessary. They are both good & necessary. From what I'm seeing, they flourish and you enjoy them more when they are run/managed by fans.

DnD & RPGs in general are all about story telling & talking with friends. It makes sense that we want to share those stories. So, it's vital that we have places to share those experiences & stories, like forums & fansites. But it's not vital that #dnd run those.

Closing our forums does not in any way lessen our interactions. We'll still be talking & lurking in your social media & fan sites. And the idea that forums are going away because dnd &/or magic are doing poorly - that's ludicrous! :p Both are doing very, very well.

We'll still be talking with you here, and elsewhere. Enjoy your new forum homes and don't forget to migrate your treasured content!

On the topic of losing forum content - it's tough, I agree. Once we knew we were going to close the forums, we also knew we weren't going to maintain the community site indefinitely, so we opted to pull the band-aid off quickly rather than let it linger."

Welcome to new members!

If you're a refugee from WotC's forums, you are very welcome here. You can register here at EN World by clicking here. You'll find out community busy and vibrant, and generally welcoming. We've been here over 15 years now, and there is tons of useful content here and lots of great resources which you're welcome to explore. These include:

(Announcement spotted initially by Critical Hits on the Twitters).

guachi

Hero
We have actual graphics now! Not like my 80x25 text screen for reading Usenet discussions. Although on a 2400 baud modem the screen actually loaded faster than today's pages when there is an annoying ad script.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
However, Hasbro's decision to eliminate the forums reinforces the perception of Hasbro creating a divide between the fan community and the game producers that just feels wrong for this particular hobby.
I know that there are people that have that perception, but those of us that can perceive more clearly should not be making statements like this one that excuse or explain that perception.

I say that because said perception is absolutely donkey-the-other-way-around.

It's been years since the unrelenting vitriol of some fans drove the game producers away from the company's own forum, and those very people driven away there have been found posting elsewhere to interact with the fans of the game. And now that the D&D team are all active and responsive on Twitter, the community is closer to the game producers than they have every been before.

You can get DM advice from Chris Perkins directly. You can bounce ideas off of Mike Mearls and see his unending enthusiasm for the game. You can get your rules questions answered by Jeremy Crawford - and all while following along with a constantly updated stream of info about whatever it is that they are doing.

If that really looks like a "divide" to someone, they need to see about a visit to an optometrist.

Ahrimon

Bourbon and Dice
I know that there are people that have that perception, but those of us that can perceive more clearly should not be making statements like this one that excuse or explain that perception.

I say that because said perception is absolutely donkey-the-other-way-around.

It's been years since the unrelenting vitriol of some fans drove the game producers away from the company's own forum, and those very people driven away there have been found posting elsewhere to interact with the fans of the game. And now that the D&D team are all active and responsive on Twitter, the community is closer to the game producers than they have every been before.

You can get DM advice from Chris Perkins directly. You can bounce ideas off of Mike Mearls and see his unending enthusiasm for the game. You can get your rules questions answered by Jeremy Crawford - and all while following along with a constantly updated stream of info about whatever it is that they are doing.

If that really looks like a "divide" to someone, they need to see about a visit to an optometrist.

Sure if you feel like telling facebook and twitter everything about you and giving them access to your life. Some of us resist the mass monetization of our lives by these companies and don't want to use them. I want to be the customer, not the product. Now we have no connection to WotC at all.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
Sure if you feel like telling facebook and twitter everything about you and giving them access to your life. Some of us resist the mass monetization of our lives by these companies and don't want to use them. I want to be the customer, not the product. Now we have no connection to WotC at all.
I just want to add to my prior comment one thing: I don't have a facebook or twitter account either.

...and yet I know that if I were concerned about this connection you feel you have lost, I would be able to make a Twitter account without revealing a single detail of my personal life to any "mass monetization" by way of, as an example, making the account as if it were an old D&D character that owned it rather than myself.

Edit: Also, how is "I don't use social media so I can't talk to the WotC guys" less of a connection than "the WotC guys never get on their own forum so I can't talk to the WotC guys."? That's nonsense.

Last edited by a moderator:

Benji

First Post
Hi guys! Don't. Mind me, just rolling in with the waves.

Also, I'm not completely sober.....

BUT....

I hope everyone is well and whatnot.

I wish I could award this post XP (my computer won't do it on 'news' stuff). That has to be the most chilled out forum entrance ever. Welcome all new posters. I have no opinion of your previous forum because until earlier this year my interaction with RPG in general was stuck in 1984.

aramis erak

Legend
I'd say the biggest difference between ENWorld's forums and WotC's forums is that moderators can actually be found posting in ENWorld's forums; folks who are accustomed to being able to skate by for weeks without being called out by a moderator are going to find these forums a bit of a culture shock.

The mods over there were pretty dmned toxic at times, too.

I asked an errata-type question about certain significant items in starting equipment not being in the equipment lists and thus not having weights, and got bluntly told by a mod that (1) I was an idiot who couldn't read, (2) nobody uses encumbrance anyway so I should shove off, and (3) none of the Wizards staff read the forums anyway, so I was looking in the wrong place. And the did so with a number of expletives.

I'd have had a friendlier response over at theRPGSite.com...
Yes, theRPGSite is friendlier than the official D&D forums, in my experience.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
[MENTION=177]Umbran[/MENTION]

You recently advised that we shouldn't lobby WotC from here at ENWorld. That we should do so over at the WotC forums.

Does this now change that proscription?

WotC_Trevor

First Post
Hey gang. I just posted up some tweets that will, I'm sure, make it over here. I still wanted to come in and say hi again, you'll likely be seeing more of me around. I know transitioning can be difficult, but I also know that this community is an awesome one and those that move this way will be in good company. While we'll likely keep interacting via twitter and doing bigger chats via reddit, I'll be here, lurking or posting and if there's ever anything I can do or anything I can answer, I will.

Remove ads

Remove ads