• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Updated Xanathar Guide Info

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
You get so much more bang for your Buck with the Theurge, besides the Lore Wizard was way too unpopular and hated, so if it's not the, Theurge, it'll be the War Mage.

The Theurge is even more of a mechanical nightmare than the Lore Wizard is. And that's not something I say lightly. There is just so much wrong with it. Though I totally expect the War Mage to see print, despite being at least two different existing ways to make that kind of concept (with one of them possibly being reprinted in the same book no less)

Ketser

First Post
You get so much more bang for your Buck with the Theurge, besides the Lore Wizard was way too unpopular and hated, so if it's not the, Theurge, it'll be the War Mage.

The real issue was with the power of some of its tradition abilities, but not with the tradition itself.

People were far more disliking that the theurge was mostly just copying cleric domain abilities and getting the most powerful one ahead of schedule.

gyor

Legend
The Theurge is even more of a mechanical nightmare than the Lore Wizard is. And that's not something I say lightly. There is just so much wrong with it. Though I totally expect the War Mage to see print, despite being at least two different existing ways to make that kind of concept (with one of them possibly being reprinted in the same book no less)

Change the level 14 ability to something else (perhaps adding radiant or necrotic damage to a wizard's spell once per long rest), reduce the channel arcane to once per short/long rest, and only access to domain spells, not cleric spells when they've run out of domain spells.

And Warmage would be the safest choice, just remove the penalty from arcane deflection. Really the Warmage is a hybrid between evoker and abjurer with some military training. And no it's not like the wizard Arcane Tradition in the SCAG, the Warmage is trained military artilliary, and the other is a melee fighting wizard who might have no actual training for working in a military setting.

I feel dang certain it won't be the lore wizard, that had way too much back lash.

gyor

Legend
The real issue was with the power of some of its tradition abilities, but not with the tradition itself.

People were far more disliking that the theurge was mostly just copying cleric domain abilities and getting the most powerful one ahead of schedule.

You've convinced me that Theurge might be too controversial, so now I believe it will be the safe choice, the Warmage.

GarrettKP

Explorer
Here are my guesses.

Barbarian: Zealot, Storm Herald, Ancestoral Guardian
Bard: College of Blades, College of Satire
Cleric: Protection Domain, Grave Domain, Forge Domain (Arcana Domain from the SCAG)
Druid: Circle of Dreams, Circle of the Sheppard
Fighter: Cavalier, Monster Hunter
Monk: Path of the Drunken Master, Path of the Kensai
Paladin: Oath of Conquest, Oath of Tranquility
Ranger: Deep Stalker, Horizon Walker, Primordial Guardian
Rogue: Inquisitive, Scout, (Swashbuckler from the SCAG)
Sorceror: Favoured Soul, Stone, Sea, Phoenix (Storm Sorceror from the SCAG)
Warlock: Celestial Patron, Hexblade Patron, (Undying from the SCAG)
Wizard: Theurge

That is 28 new subclasses, over 25 new subclasses, but under 30 new subclasses, plus what I believe are the 4 most popular setting/race agnostic subclasses from the SCAG.

32 diverse subclasses should make people very happy.

I wisg it was more then just the racial feats, the weapon and skill feats would have been nice, especially for Fighters and Rogues.

I think a few of these are off. Here is what I expect:

Barbarian: Zealot, Ancestoral Guardian
Bard: College of Blades, College of Whispers, College of Glamour
Cleric: Grave Domain, Forge Domain (Arcana Domain from the SCAG)
Druid: Circle of Dreams, Circle of the Sheppard, Circle of Twilight
Fighter: Cavalier, Arcane Archer
Paladin: Oath of Conquest, Oath of Redemption

gyor

Legend
I think a few of these are off. Here is what I expect:

Barbarian: Zealot, Ancestoral Guardian
Bard: College of Blades, College of Whispers, College of Glamour
Cleric: Grave Domain, Forge Domain (Arcana Domain from the SCAG)
Druid: Circle of Dreams, Circle of the Sheppard, Circle of Twilight
Paladin: Oath of Conquest, Oath of Redemption

You don't think Storm Herald made it, I'm surprised, I thought it was well done. I think if any Barbarian doesn't make the cut it'd be Zealot.

I could see College of Whispers, but College of Glamour was contraversial for some people, I'm not sure why.

I agree with you trading out Monster Hunter for Arcane Archer and will update my list.

I disagree on Twilight Druid being in, and Protection Domain being out, Twilights features did not match the fluff and woukd have to be redone completely, and Protection Domain was reasonable popular (didn't interest me so this isn't a personal preference, just based on observation).

And thank you the proper nane for Oath of Redemption I'd forgotten it.

gyor

Legend
Here are my guesses.

Barbarian: Storm Herald, Ancestoral Guardian
Bard: College of Blades, College of Satire, College of Whispers
Cleric: Protection Domain, Grave Domain, Forge Domain (Arcana Domain from the SCAG)
Druid: Circle of Dreams, Circle of the Sheppard
Paladin: Oath of Conquest, Oath of Redemption (small chance they refluff the Oath of Treachery as an Oath of Liberation)
Wizard: Theurge or Warmage

That is 28 new subclasses, over 25 new subclasses, but under 30 new subclasses, plus what I believe are the 4 most popular setting/race agnostic subclasses from the SCAG.

32 diverse subclasses should make people very happy.

I wisg it was more then just the racial feats, the weapon and skill feats would have been nice, especially for Fighters and Rogues.

I updated my list. Traded Monster Hunter for Arcane Archer, Zealot for College of Whispers, gave Oath of Redemption its proper name and hedged my bet by acknowledging that if they rename/refluff Oath of Treachery as Oath of Liberation it could be in instead of Oath of Redemption as it had better mechanics, it was the one too many blackguards that people objected to with Oath of Treachery.

I also hedge my bets with Wizard, Theurge gives more bang for the buck? but it would take more work, while Warmage would just take a slight tweek, so is the easier and safer option.

Remove ads