D&D 5E Using "D&D 2024" instead of "5e24"

Refer to it as whatever, because I and many others will not be investing in this garbage.
Feel free to invest in other garbage.
Nice to call things others like "garbage".

I think D&D 2024 works well enough to differentiate.
I still don't understand people that are so keen on slapping an edition mame on it. Edition is very confusing for people new to the hobby.

Many people are to young for the 1e - > 2e change. Many are even too young for the 3.0 -> 3.5 change.

Calling it 2024 revison seems clearer to me. And I agree with the D&D / 5e distinction.

Actually, calling the new books 6e will be very confusing, as suddenly all the 5e open source variants seem incompatible.

Last edited:

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I've been using 5E24 just for clarity's sake here on the boards, where most of the people know about all the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd party material available for use. When I discuss the game outside of that circle I just say 'D&D', as no one would need to know, understand, or necessarily care about all the games connected to the brand.

If I am going to talk about Valiant, or Advanced 5E, or Esper Genesis, or anything else that uses the 5E engine, I will use their proper game names so everyone knows what game I'm talking about.

Ulfgeir

Hero
Yes, we all know what someone means when they just say they play 5e. But it would be much better if it actually specified what it was the 5e of to avoid ambiguity.. As in there are lots more games that have a fifth edition, and they are most certainly not compatible with D&D. Granted, if you have already established that it is a version of D&D you are talking about then 5e is enough.

Of the top of my head (and the current edition in parenthesis after the name): Call of Cthulhu (7e), Shadowrun (6e), Pendragon (6e), Vampire the Masquerade (5e), Legend of the Five Rings (5e), Drakar och Demoner (Swedish version of Dragonbane. Exact edition uncertain, but 11 or 12 according to different sources).

So call the new version "D&D 5e revised" or something. Or D&D 5e 24. Of course that format makes it look like it was episode 24 of the fifth season of a tv-show called D&D ;)

Last edited:

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I've been using 5e24. 5.5e when I'm lazy and not on a computer.

I won't call it 6e because I think there will eventually be a 6e. Jeremy Crawford and the rest of the current design and art team speak as if there are stuff they clearly want to fundamentally change but couldn't due to playtest feedback over backward compatibility,

Once 5e24 sales dip, the real 6e will be announced.
With power source spell lists, class groupings, tiered proficiency, "martial cantrips", multitiered monsters, etc

Remove ads