• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Using primes in D&D

an_idol_mind

Explorer
I've been checking out Castles & Crusades lately. In general, I still remain unconvinced that it's quite the system for me. However, I find the prime system to be very intriguing. As both C&C and D&D are easy to modify systems, it seems like a prime system could easily fit into D&D in place of the skill system. Has anyone tried ditching the skills rules in favor of the prime stats? If so, how did it work out?

I'm also wondering about the pros and cons of a skill system. On the plus side, doing away with skills as they stand in 3.5 opens the door for lots of creative thinking. On the down side, it might effect some characters who are built around the idea of being very skilled. Specifically, folks like the bard and the rogue might feel like someone is stealing their thunder in a skill-less system.

What do you guys think? Is the prime mechanic something that can work outside of C&C, or is it something that has no place in the 3.5 system?

Drew

Explorer
There is something similar in Unearthed Arcana, although that still uses the standard DCs rather than basing them on a static number like C&C. I'm interested in the idea.

Remove ads