• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Waffles vs. Pancakes vs. French toast: Which is best?

Waffles vs. Pancakes vs. French toast: Which is best?

Ulfgeir

Hero
Don't think I have ever had French Toast, if that is what I think it is (if so the Swedish term for it is "fattiga riddare" = "poor knights").

Pancaces for me should be the really thin variant. I am not a fan of the thicker "oven-cooked" things, especially not when bacon is included in it. Here it can be a meal in itself (usually for kids), but is more often served as dessert. Especially if the main meal was peasoup (traditionally served on thursdays, and only in the months that have a "r" in the name. Also kind of traditionally in some circles that the soup is served with some punch, which is an arrack-based liqeour Punsch - Wikipedia). I prefer the toppings of whipped cream and strawberry jam. Now, sure I can eat american style pancaces with maple syrup for breakfat, but it is not something I will make myself. Pea soup - Wikipedia

Waffles, are also dessert-food. And should be served raspberry jam and whipped cream. We actually have one day informally called "våffeldagen" = "Waffle day", and this comes from some misspelling/misspronounciation of "Vårfrudagen", the day 9 months before christmas... as in theory when Mary got pregnant... Waffle Day - Wikipedia

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Waffles yesterday fruit compote and yogurt.
They had chicken and bacon with maple syrup but not a fan.

20230618_100342.jpg

This is a tough one as I like all three, but assuming pancakes means American pancakes, and not crepes or some other horror, it's got to be pancakes. I remember discovering American pancakes when I went to the US when I was 10, and I've been obsessed with them ever since (but only get them like 1-2 times/year outside of the US).

For those of you who like to go out to have breakfast or brunch, which restaurant(s) produces your favorite pancake, waffle or French toast dish? :)

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, it would be the Red Spire Brunch House in Traverse City, MI and their Apple Cinnamon Streusel French Toast. I also happen to like First Watch's Lemon Ricotta Pancakes. ;)

MGibster

Legend
For those of you who like to go out to have breakfast or brunch, which restaurant(s) produces your favorite pancake, waffle or French toast dish?
I'm not a fan of a lot of their food, by The Cracker Barrel makes some pretty good pancakes. If you order blueberry pancakes, they even put real blueberries in the batter. Some places just give you blueberry syrup which is #%#%#%#.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
For those of you who like to go out to have breakfast or brunch, which restaurant(s) produces your favorite pancake, waffle or French toast dish? :)

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, it would be the Red Spire Brunch House in Traverse City, MI and their Apple Cinnamon Streusel French Toast. I also happen to like First Watch's Lemon Ricotta Pancakes. ;)
I dont generally like pancakes. I mean, they are fine, but never something I get excited about. Dont typically order them or ever make them. However, here in the Twin Cities Mickey's Dining Car has the best I have ever had.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I'm not a fan of a lot of their food, by The Cracker Barrel makes some pretty good pancakes. If you order blueberry pancakes, they even put real blueberries in the batter. Some places just give you blueberry syrup which is #%#%#%#.
I have never gone, in my recollection, to a place that gave you blueberry syrup and called that blueberry pancakes. And if they did, I’d never go back.
We‘ve got a number of pancake places locally. The best is Original Pancake House. They also make excellent hash browns.

Remove ads