• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Waffles vs. Pancakes vs. French toast: Which is best?

Waffles vs. Pancakes vs. French toast: Which is best?

MGibster

Legend
Quoting myself to clarify: while chicken & waffles IS a common meal in black southern cuisine, it’s much more common EAST of the Mississippi than west of it. Part of that is because of the strength of Creole cuisine in Louisiana and Tex-Mex in Texas, etc.
Yeah, supposedly the dish originated back east when some musicians arrived at a diner after a gig too late for dinner but too early for breakfast. It's not a dish I associate with Southern culture though it's delicious. Truthfully, I've been disappointed in the chicken & waffle dishes I've had here in Arkansas. Mostly it's the chicken part that's not so good. We used to have a food truck that made a mean chicken & waffle dish, but they either went out of business or moved to another city.

Zardnaar

Legend
No and... yes, kind of.

Waffles come to the US via Europe - particularly France, Belgium, and the Netherlands.

Fried Chicken was already a West African dish before the slave trade, but once the southern planters had slave populations, it became a meat dish slaves had ready access to and so became something a staple. Then, like a lot of other West African preparations, it spread into general southern cooking - where Black Americans are still significantly concentrated. Migration north to support war industries helped spread Black cuisine in general across the rest of the US. So, yeah, in a way it's still a significant food for a lot of Black Americans like other foods their ancestors cooked and handed down as a culture across the generations.

Both waffles and fried chicken are widespread. You can get them virtually anywhere.

Just ordered waffles with fruit compote. American barmaid and waffles and bacon ate an option but tgat combo doest do it for me.

Ryujin

Legend
Quoting myself to clarify: while chicken & waffles IS a common meal in black southern cuisine, it’s much more common EAST of the Mississippi than west of it. Part of that is because of the strength of Creole cuisine in Louisiana and Tex-Mex in Texas, etc.

So while I’m a black southerner who has lived most of his life in the American south, all of that has been in Louisiana and Texas. Result: I didn’t have chicken & waffles until I was in my late 40s or early 50s when someone opened a Lolo’s Chicken & Waffles in the next county, so I did have to search for it the first time I had it. While both were nicely done and could stand alone without the other, the combination (as mentioned before) just didn’t hit home with me.

And unfortunately, the city it’s in has several nice restaurants all clustered together in its Old Downton area, nowhere near Lolo’s. So when we‘re over there- which is almost weekly- we almost never go to Lolo’s.
Didn't really do anything for me, either, on one of my visits to Birmingham, Alabama. Was more interested in the Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum at the time, at any rate.

Zardnaar

Legend
Didn't really do anything for me, either, on one of my visits to Birmingham, Alabama. Was more interested in the Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum at the time, at any rate.

One thing I'm jealous about for food lacking here is Southern cuisine, Mexican options and Caribbean.

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
There's a soul food restraunt at Jack Lomdon Square in Oakland, called The Home of Chicken & Waffles. Very nice restaurant, and they take their signature dish super seriously: good chicken fried well, great waffles, and generous doses of syrup and hot sauce.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I've been disappointed in the chicken & waffle dishes I've had here in Arkansas. Mostly it's the chicken part that's not so good.
It’s a pairing of two recipes that I’d call deceptively simple.

To do either properly, there’s a few simple rules that, if you follow them, you’re going to get good results, almost like clockwork. Those rules ARE flexible enough to permit some flexibility.

Wherein lieth the trap.

Because they’re so simple, there’s no place for the Cook to hide mistakes, inexperience or incompetence. If you mess up any of the steps, you can get terrible results.

And if you pair two such recipes into one serving, you need to get BOTH right, or BOTH will suffer. Your clientele will be asking to get one without the other. And if that’s not an option, they’ll stop coming.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads