We saw a Star War! Last Jedi spoiler thread

reelo

Hero
Reelo-Just curious since this is your trilogy. Is it better? What makes it better?

My trilogy had an impact for 40 years. Realistically is Rey the next Vader? Vader is considered one of the top10 most iconic villians of all time. Is there anything iconic in this movie or the previous movie

In empire when vader says hes lukes father the star wars community went crazy (well as a younger kid I felt it did). so far what was your crazy moment

My expectation were
Luke would die-based on age of actor.
other major actors would die also due to age or basically unwilling to do more (Ford)
to be honest i'm pleasantly surprised chewie has big role in movies but I'm now very worried about the fate of 2 droids
I expected new heroes to rise and to have new love for these. I've done these for new books where the author killed of hero and replaced with a new 1

I do feel like sequels/remakes like jaws +1, terminator 3+, Alien 3+ seem to be chasing the magic of what made the first 2 good but maybe that's me. I feel like Post empire has been doing the same thing. However the formula seemed to have worked for other franchises such as Toy Story
Ah, but don't get me wrong: I'm nearing 40, I grew up with the OT, I've seen the PT on opening day each time, I've read my share of EU before it became Legends...

It's just that now, being a dad of 2 boys, I've made peace with the fact that the late-70, early-80s charm of the OT will never be recaptured. Make it too similar visually, like R1, and some people will complain. Make it different, like the PT, some people will complain. Make it similar story-wise, like TFA, some people will complain. There's no pleasing everybody.

Had Luke been any different than what he was in TLJ, coming in guns blazing, he would have outshined the new cast. Don't deny it, we all wanted it. But we didn't need it. RJ wiped the slate clean for things to come.

As I said, the OT will continue to be what it is, the films to come will (have to) be their own thing.
I've made peace with that fact.

Sent from my [device_name] using EN World mobile app

hawkeyefan

Legend
I don't think I'm buying the part where Ben tells Rey that her parents were nobodies. If its true, I'm way cool with that. It goes with the theme of the movie--that of letting go of the past, embracing the new, as the story continues, evolves.

But, Ben said that her parents sold her into slavery, didn't he?

Rey wasn't a slave. She was alone, with a lot of freedom, and sold her salvage to Unkar Plutt (who she was supposedly sold to). It's clear in TFA that Plutt is not Rey's master.

I wouldn't be surprised if Abrams, in Episode IX, doesn't flip it again in a big reveal where we learn something BIG about Rey's parents.

I was very happy with the reveal that they were nobody special. I thought that was great. If it turns out, however, that there is more to it and Kylo Ren was lying, I'd probably be fine with that, too, depending on what they decide to do with her lineage. I would prefer they not somehow tie her to the Skywalkers because it just seems like a stretch. But I'm open to the idea, despite liking this film's take on it.

If I recall correctly, the guy who was originally going to direct episode IX before Abrams returned commented about her lineage as having a huge impact on the story. But who knows?

I've read that Rian Johnson has been put in creative charge of the next trilogy, Episodes X, Xl, and XII. I've also read that Rian wants to stop numbering the episodes, so that Abram's Episode IX will be the last numbered one. From then on out, the films will just have titles, like Rogue One.

I believe that he's been given a separate trilogy of films....not necessarily the following episodes in the ongoing saga. So whatever he comes up with will be its own thing. HOwever, I don't know if they will continue with the ongoing saga in the form of episodes X, XI, and XII. We'll see.

Ah, but don't get me wrong: I'm nearing 40, I grew up with the OT, I've seen the PT on opening day each time, I've read my share of EU before it became Legends...

It's just that now, being a dad of 2 boys, I've made peace with the fact that the late-70, early-80s charm of the OT will never be recaptured. Make it too similar visually, like R1, and some people will complain. Make it different, like the PT, some people will complain. Make it similar story-wise, like TFA, some people will complain. There's no pleasing everybody.

Had Luke been any different than what he was in TLJ, coming in guns blazing, he would have outshined the new cast. Don't deny it, we all wanted it. But we didn't need it. RJ wiped the slate clean for things to come.

As I said, the OT will continue to be what it is, the films to come will (have to) be their own thing.
I've made peace with that fact.

Sent from my [device_name] using EN World mobile app

I think that having kids certainly drives home the fact that these movies are for them, rather than for us. At least that's the way I look at it. How can I not like these movies when my 3 year old daughter loves Rey to death the same way I did Luke at her age?

To me, that's more Star Wars than anything.

pukunui

Legend
I think that having kids certainly drives home the fact that these movies are for them, rather than for us. At least that's the way I look at it. How can I not like these movies when my 3 year old daughter loves Rey to death the same way I did Luke at her age?
This. I have three daughters, and for them, Rey is just the best. They also appreciated how TLJ has so many more women in it: Paige and Rose Tico, Tallie (the a-wing pilot), Lt Connix (Carrie's daughter's character), Admiral Holdo, and so on.

Of course, they also love Leia, Padmé, Ahsoka, Sabine Wren, etc etc.

Last edited:

tomBitonti

Adventurer
Okay, you missed some things set up in TFA. The Resistance isn't the New Republic, for one. It's a separate thing formed by Leia to fight against the 1st Order. The New Republic doesn't condone this effort, but there are enough supporters that secretly fund it.

Pretty sure all of that is set up in TFA. So, yeah, if you conflate the two I'm sure you're confused.

I just went and read up on the details and yeah, I was very off on what I thought the Resistance was all about. I presume that was all provided by TFA, but the details had completely fallen away since I saw it.

Narratively, then, why should we care so much about the Resistance? It seems quite a contrivance that the old players end up still being at the center of things.

Thx!
TomB

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Had Luke been any different than what he was in TLJ, coming in guns blazing, he would have outshined the new cast. Don't deny it, we all wanted it. But we didn't need it.
Luke was well-positioned to be in these movies what Yoda was in Empire: the guy who is going to prepare the new hero to do all the hard work.
The currently-inexplicable implosion of his original training effort (the members seem to have become the Knights of Ren - or dead - instead of Jedi) would have given him also a strong sympathy with ghost-Obi-wan's statement "I thought I could be just as good as Yoda. I was wrong."

Luke already has shown that he can come up with clever and subtle plans, for instance getting all his allies - who are being pursued by Darth Vader at the time - into Jabba's palace without alerting Jabba that anything might be wrong. He also came up with a plan to turn Vader instead of fighting him. (Execution of which was more yank-your-chains than pull-his-heartstrings, admittedly.)

Luke is tough and determined, too. He makes an instant decision to abandon Tattooine, and sticks with it even when his path is hard - he loses his mentor and has to figure out this Force thing by himself. He gets his hand cut off but is back up like nothing happened within days (yes, miracles of modern medicine, too) - and he is willing to fight again the guy who did it to him. He lets himself get captured by a ruthless and remorseless enemy on the vague notion that One Certain Important Figure will hear of it and personally intervene.

It would be reasonable that Luke, after the destruction of his Jedi Academy, would go to ground for a while. Then let the Force draw him to a prospective student, and effectively adopt the Sith Rule of Two. Yoda trained him without drawing Dark Side users down on both of them, so the possibilities for success look better. And, given enough time, Luke could send out a steady trickle of capable Jedi, each of whom can train their own apprentices, &c.

In short, Luke should have been working quietly and behind the scenes to set the stage to protect the New Republic he helped found, and towards the First Order's demise - likely in cooperation with Leia's public efforts.

I find it VERY hard to accept that the same guy who showed determination and increasing depth of thought through three movies would just decide to give up, crawl into a hole, and pull the entrance down on himself, when something went REALLY wrong.

Last edited:

epithet

Explorer
I find it VERY hard to accept that the same guy who showed determination and depth of thought through three movies would just decide to give up, crawl into a hole, and pull the entrance down on himself, when something went REALLY wrong.

You and me both, amigo.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Luke should have been what Yoda was in Empire: the guy who is going to prepare the new hero to do all the hard work.
The currently-inexplicable implosion of his original training effort (the members seem to have become the Knights of Ren - or dead - instead of Jedi) would have given him also a strong sympathy with ghost-Obi-wan's statement "I thought I could be just as good as Yoda. I was wrong."

Luke already has shown that he can come up with clever and subtle plans, for instance getting all his allies into Jabba's palace without alerting Jabba that anything might be wrong. He also came up with a plan to turn Vader instead of fighting him. (Execution of which was more yank-your-chains than pull-his-heartstrings, admittedly.)

Luke is tough and determined, too. He makes an instant decision to abandon Tattooine, and sticks with it even when his path is hard - he loses his mentor and has to figure out this Force thing by himself. He gets his hand cut off but is back up like nothing happened within days (yes, miracles of modern medicine, too) - and he is willing to fight again the guy who did it to him. He is willing to get captured by a ruthless and remorseless enemy on the vague notion that one certain Important Figure will hear of it and personally intervene.

It would be reasonable that Luke, after the destruction of his Jedi Academy, would go to ground for a while. Then let the Force draw him to a prospective student, and effectively adopt the Sith Rule of Two. Yoda trained him without drawing Dark Side users down on both of them, so the possibilities for success look better. And, given enough time, Luke could send out a steady trickle of capable Jedi, each of whom can train their own apprentices, &c.

In short, Luke should have been working quietly and behind the scenes to set the stage to protect the New Republic he helped found, and towards the First Order's demise - likely in cooperation with Leia's public efforts.

I find it VERY hard to accept that the same guy who showed determination and depth of thought through three movies would just decide to give up, crawl into a hole, and pull the entrance down on himself, when something went REALLY wrong.

Wow. You brought all of THAT into TLJ? I can see why you hated it -- it clearly wasn't the movie you imagined.

Remove ads