• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What 1st ed AD&D Adventures are the Best? List them here!

Qualidar

First Post
TerraDave said:
What are the best, all time, classic adventures?

Well I'll vote for:

I6 Ravenloft
I4 Oasis of the White Palm
I3 Pharaoh
WG4 Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun
D3 Vault of the Drow
G1-2-3 Against the Giants
U1 Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh

In that order.

~Qualidar~

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Again, thanks for the nominations, and T Foster, thanks for the clarification.

They must have slipped it through the fine print of the license

EDIT: and Mouseferatu, I look foward to it!

Last edited:

fusangite

First Post
First off, I think it's a tragedy that you're excluding the great early D&D modules Keep On The Borderlands and The Lost City. In my opinion, B4, The Lost City is probably the most perfect representation of what old D&D was all about.

D1-2 Descent Into the Depths
G1-2-3 Against the Giants

I purchased the original edition in which copies of these adventures when they were bound separately.

D3 Vault of the Drow

The D/G series is pretty great -- a just the correct amount of plot overlaid on hours and hours of killing things and taking their stuff.

S2 White Plume Mountain

Although flavoured slightly differently, this is a great example of a nice, short AD&D feel adventure that has just the right amount of campiness for first edition.

I2 Tomb of the Lizard King

Aside from being a tad linear, this is, I think, the most underrated of all modules. It was simply a great adventure -- weird, interesting, combat heavy and easy to strip into an existing campaign as a one-off.

N1 Against the Cult of the Reptile God

These adventures are great in that they represent the first really successful attempts to get the dungeon above ground without losing its basic feel.

Last edited:

Kel

First Post
I6 (Ravenloft);
R1-R4 (Egg of the Phoenix series, although I only have it in the re-released I12 format);
T1 (Village of Hommlett).

For overall best module, I'd probably have to go with T1 (Village of Hommlett). It has everything a good low-level module should: a well-detailed town with lots of characters and NPCs for the DM to play with, a nearby mysterious dungeon with a great map and cool monsters/bad guys, intrigue and treachery in the town that is related to events in the dungeon and makes the town more than just a "rest stop" but a place for adventure in its own right. These are my requirements for the quintessential "good" module.

Speaking of which, I am going to start a thread re good low-level modules, for I am looking for one right now...

Steel_Wind

Legend
I6 Ravenloft
DL8 - Dragons of War (Tower of the High Clerist - best first edition map TSR ever did, bar none)
Dungeon #16 - Vesicant

Not asked, but...
OD&D: Tegal Manor

Sholari

First Post
These are the cream of the crop in my opinion:

A2 Secret of the Slavers Stockade
A4 In the Dungeons of the Slave Lords
B3 Palace of the Silver Princess
C1 Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan
I3 Pharaoh
I4 Oasis of the White Palm
I5 Lost Tomb of Martek
I6 Ravenloft
L2 Assassin's Knot
S4 Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth
DL1 Dragons of Despair
Dark Tower
U2 Danger at Dunwater
UK1 Beyond the Crystal Cave
UK3: The Sentinel
X2 Castle Amber

BWP

Explorer
TerraDave said:
They must have slipped it through the fine print of the license

No, JG had (first) one licence to produce OD&D adventures, and then later another to produce AD&D adventures. They didn't release all that many AD&D adventures, and of the ones they did release, Dark Tower was by far the best (judging by its reputation), but it was not "accidentally" labelled as being for AD&D or anything like that.

I'm awfully fond of "Against the Cult of the Reptile God" as it also compelled me to write adventures for the Orlane-Hochoch area.

L1 "Secret of Bone Hill" and L2 "Assassin's Knot" I also like a lot as they showed a beginning DM (Me!) how to structure adventuring areas and set up intrigue. Not that I had gotten around much to that in the last campaign I ran. :heh: *AHEM!*

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
fusangite said:
First off, I think it's a tragedy that you're excluding the great early D&D modules Keep On The Borderlands and The Lost City. In my opinion, B4, The Lost City is probably the most perfect representation of what old D&D was all about.

Thanks for the nominations. There is another thread for OD&D and B/ED&D, take a look

Remove ads