• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What alternate game systems are you trying out if you don't like 4e?

Ariosto

First Post
I'm sticking with Classic ("little black books") Traveller, because I have plenty for that. The Mongoose edition looks pretty similar, though.

The Green Adam

First Post
Funny...I don't think of them as alternate

To me, 4E is the newcomer/outsider/interloper and the alternate choice for people who are not enjoying some game already on the market. D&D 3.x was fine and dandy for a good many people and as such there was no need for them to change.

That said, and fantasy not being my thing, I would recommend the only fantasy rpg I've played in the past that I actually find interesting and truly different, Ars Magica. Other then that...

Mouse Guard and/or Burning Wheel
Old school games like Labyrinth Lord, Swords & Wizardry and OSRIC
Mutants & Masterminds' Warriors and Warlocks
Song of Fire and Ice RPG
Tunnels & Trolls
Exalted

I know about a dozen (or two) more but they may not be as readily available as those listed above.

@Wombat- Thanks for the opportunity for a shameless self-plug! Anyone interested in Star Trek gaming should check out my blog and some of the links. Live, long and prosper!

AD
Barking Alien

smootrk

First Post
Basic Fantasy Role-Playing Game (classic d&d clone) is my favorite... done some writing for the system. I would love to get a classic Star Frontiers Alpha Dawn game going.

old school for me

Drowbane

First Post
I've been meaning to try out some of that 3.5e, I've heard good things.

edit~

I'd played countless other fantasy RPGs back when 2e was still around. And by fantasy I mean GURPs (fantasy, illuminati, etc), Shadowrun, WoD, Robotech, Mechwarrior, CHAMPIONs, etc, etc.

Last edited:

Morpheus

Exploring Ptolus
Savage Worlds-Playing Rippers for now and I'm in the process of Savaging the Legacy of Fire adventure path which we will start this summer.

seskis281

First Post
To answer Thanee:

Maybe the OP doesn't like 4e and so wants to know about systems people play that are more on the "different" side from 4e and less on the "similar side".

For people who do like 4e, maybe start a thread of "What alternate game systems are you trying out if you DO like 4e?"

For myself: Pathfinder, looking into the old school movement more and more, and other more "one shot" games (at least for our group) like Paranoia and Og Unearthed.

Hee hee - I think the purpose of Thanee's post was to read "fantasy games" in a different, well, light.... or in the dark.... :D

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
We're playing with the final playtesting rules for Spellbound Kingdoms. If your group doesn't want to jump ship until Gen Con, it's definitely worth a look. You can download the Combat Primer for free right now to get a taste of combat. The full game has everything that 4e doesn't: rules for mass combat, running a kingdom, social encounters that support roleplay, research and advancement, economies and cultures that players can influence or create, engineering and black powder weapons, zeppelins, chases that are more than the movement part of combat rules, and a ton more.
I wanted to thank you for posting this. It looks to have some genuinely new and interesting mechanics, as well as an interesting setting. Hopefully you'll have some books at IPR at Gen Con: if so, you've got a sale.

--Steve

Remove ads