• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What are the biggest rules debates?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Vigwyn the Unruly said:
Whew, that sure was a lot of fancy talk to get to this point. :p However, here is where you are wrong. He centainly did travel in a straight line, but it was a straight line directly toward X, not toward this square. The straight line directly toward this square has a different angle (go ahead, draw it and see), and would thus necessitate an earlier move to the bottom row.

He travelled along a straight line, and ended up in the centre of this square.

How could he do that, if the straight line he travelled along did not head directly toward the square?

-Hyp.

Vigwyn the Unruly

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
He travelled along a straight line, and ended up in the centre of this square.

How could he do that, if the straight line he travelled along did not head directly toward the square?

-Hyp.
Because he didn't end up in the center of this square. He occupies that square, and for the sake of game mechanics, he takes up the whole square, but the route he took was not one that would place him smack dab in the middle of the square. That's why it's not the most direct path.

Khaalis

Adventurer
2 that come to mind:

1. Ring of Sustenance vs. Vampiric hunger – does it work?
2. Should Divine Metamagic work with all “Turn/Rebuke” attempt types available to the cleric or Only Undead? If only undead... why?

Firael

First Post
Khaalis said:
2 that come to mind:
Khaalis said:
1. Ring of Sustenance vs. Vampiric hunger – does it work?
RAW possible, but the definition here is life-sustaining nourishment. Is a Vampire alive? You cannot sustain the life of a undead, you can sustain his "unlife".
Khaalis said:
2. Should Divine Metamagic work with all “Turn/Rebuke” attempt types available to the cleric or Only Undead? If only undead... why?
Hmm, I'd say with with all the types available. If you can rebuke them, why should'nt you be able to use the feats?

Veril

Explorer
Vigwyn the Unruly said:
Another excellent point, oh Wise One. :)

However, if Y went first, the most direct path from X to O is blocked.

I disagree with you. PHB p148, the stuff about measuring movement - a diagonal counts as 1.5 squares. So the closest square from which you can attack the opponent is the charge along the grid lines horizontally, with no diagonal movement.

The allowed squares from which X and Y can attack are precise.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Vigwyn the Unruly said:
Because he didn't end up in the center of this square.

Sure he did.

He occupies that square, and for the sake of game mechanics, he takes up the whole square...

So he's in the same place someone in the centre of the square would be?

... but the route he took was not one that would place him smack dab in the middle of the square. That's why it's not the most direct path.

The route he took did place him smack dab in the middle of the square. By definition, it's a route that would place him smack dab in the middle of the square.

-Hyp.

Khaalis

Adventurer
Firael said:
RAW possible, but the definition here is life-sustaining nourishment. Is a Vampire alive? You cannot sustain the life of a undead, you can sustain his "unlife".

What about a Half-Vampire (LM)? I cannot remember if the template changes them to Undead or if they retain their normal type.

Hmm, I'd say with with all the types available. If you can rebuke them, why should'nt you be able to use the feats?

I agree with this, but there are a LOT of arguments over this. I personnally see all Turn?Rebukes as being available. The wording of the feat is still assuming that the cleric only has access to Turn/Rebuke undead, as the others are very limited and not easily acquired.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Veril said:
I disagree with you. PHB p148, the stuff about measuring movement - a diagonal counts as 1.5 squares.

It says it might help to think of them that way... but what it says is that the first diagonal is 1 square, and the second is 2.

-Hyp.

glass

(he, him)
I'll have a go at a few of these.

Vurt said:
1) What AC bonus does a non-monk with high Wisdom gain from a monk's belt?
Just like a 5th level monk, as per the item description. What's the confusion?

2) Can you use flurry of blows while two-weapon fighting, and if so, how does it work?
As long as you are using monk weapons.

3) Does a monk fighting with a longspear threaten with his unarmed strike, and if so, how does it work?
Only if he takes the appropriate penalties for fighting with two weapons.

4) Can a monk take the Improved Natural Attack feat?
Only if he has an actual natural attack he can use to qualify for the feat.

glass.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads