• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What are the biggest rules debates?

Firael

First Post
Practiced Spellcaster feat from Complete Arcane.

Req: Spellcraft 4 ranks.

Your caster level for the chosen spellcasting class increases by 4. This benefit can't increase your caster level higher than your Hit Dice. However, even if you can't benefit from the full bonus immediately, if you later gain Hit Dice in levels of nonspellcasting classes, you might be able to apply the rest of the bonus.
Example: ...

This feat does not affect your spells per day or spells known. It increases your caster level only, which would help you penetrate spell resistance and increase the duration and other effects of your spells.

My thought on the feat. Taking 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, so on level in wizard or warmage just got so much better! This feat has "NASTY" writen all over it.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Firael said:
Practiced Spellcaster feat from Complete Arcane.

Req: Spellcraft 4 ranks.

Your caster level for the chosen spellcasting class increases by 4. This benefit can't increase your caster level higher than your Hit Dice. However, even if you can't benefit from the full bonus immediately, if you later gain Hit Dice in levels of nonspellcasting classes, you might be able to apply the rest of the bonus.
Example: ...

This feat does not affect your spells per day or spells known. It increases your caster level only, which would help you penetrate spell resistance and increase the duration and other effects of your spells.

My thought on the feat. Taking 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, so on level in wizard or warmage just got so much better! This feat has "NASTY" writen all over it.

Where does the "rules debate" part come in?

Firael

First Post
Well my thought is that it applies to all effects. Meaning Fighter 4/Wizard 1 can cast his Magic Missile as if he was caster level 5.

But in one of my games the gm argued that although it increases the duration of spells like Mage's armor and the DC of Sleep and such, It will not increase the damage of spells, otherwise it would be too strong of a feat.

Okay easier:
Will a level 20 wizard cast his spells (and their respective damage rolls) like he was level 24 if he has Practiced Spellcaster feat?

Scion

First Post
Does he have at least 4 hd from something that doesnt boost his wizard casting level already? If so then sure, if not then no, the feat says so.

I have never heard of anyone saying that the caster level it grants doesnt count as a caster level.. that seems like a really weird ruling, maybe the dm was caught by surprise and felt the need to lash out at it for some reason ;)

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Firael said:
Well my thought is that it applies to all effects. Meaning Fighter 4/Wizard 1 can cast his Magic Missile as if he was caster level 5.

But in one of my games the gm argued that although it increases the duration of spells like Mage's armor and the DC of Sleep and such, It will not increase the damage of spells, otherwise it would be too strong of a feat.

Okay easier:
Will a level 20 wizard cast his spells (and their respective damage rolls) like he was level 24 if he has Practiced Spellcaster feat?

Is he a 24 HD creature?

If he was a Wiz5/Ftr5, he would cast his spells (and their respective damage rolls)at caster level 9. Magic Missile would give 5 missiles, fireballs would be 9 dice, Scorching Ray would give 2 rays, etc.

But he would still only be able to cast 3rd level spells.

FireLance

Legend
Firael said:
What Scion and Caliban said. Plus, caster level would not affect the DC of spells, although it would affect SR checks.

Practised Spellcaster does give a more of a mechanical advantage than most other feats, but it's because multiclassed spellcasters tend to be less powerful than pure-classed characters or non-spellcaster multiclass combinations and need more of a boost to catch up (note: this is another hotly-debated topic).

The 3.5e D&D system is generally set up so that it is easier to offset a weakness than to be better in something you are already good at. Consider Weapon Focus and Weapon Finesse, for example. To a character with low Strength and high Dexterity, Weapon Finesse gives a larger mechanical advantage than Weapon Focus.

FireLance said:
Practised Spellcaster does give a more of a mechanical advantage than most other feats, but it's because multiclassed spellcasters tend to be less powerful than pure-classed characters or non-spellcaster multiclass combinations and need more of a boost to catch up (note: this is another hotly-debated topic).

Or, as Hypersmurf (I think) put it:

Practiced Spellcaster

Prerequisites: You must suck.

Benefit: You suck less.

Remove ads