• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What did you (or would you!) name your kids, and why?

Ferret

Explorer
I like the name James, just because. But also I was going to be called that before my cousin got it as a middle name. And I like Imogen as a girls name, just because I like it. I don't have many other ideas, but there are a lot of nice sounding names out there.

drothgery

First Post
I always figured in the unlikely event I had a son, he'd get stuck with Alan as a middle name, because it's my father's, and mine. And because he'd be stuck with Rothgery, so at least simple and straightforward first or middle name seems like a good idea.

D.Shaffer said:
If I ever had girls, I wanted to name em Brittany, Eleanor, and Jeanette. Partially become I'm cruel, but also because I always liked those names. And yes, I know where I got them from.
Now that you've said that I'm never going to forgive my parents for not naming me Alvin, and my two brothers Simon and Theodore, respectively.

(My current favorites: XY => Felix; XX => Clara.)

awayfarer

First Post
I haven't thought a great deal about names for potential children. I've always though Odessa sounds nice.

I firmly plan to have one of my kids have the middle name "Danger". Just so they can say that Danger is their middle name. I will fight for this one if necessary. :D

reanjr

First Post
No kids, but my shortlist includes:

Richard
Erik
Lorelai
Tatyana
Elizabeth
Annabelle
Luther

I strongly believe in not using names where there could be any confusion over gender. I also think biblicals are waaay overused in America and so I won't use those either.

Richard is my name. I also think it's a strong name that has been with us for centuries and isn't going anywhere.

Eric is my middle name, but I prefer the spelling Erik since I think C is a useless letter that should be removed from the alphabet for clarity.

I like the nickname Anna, which leads me to Tatyana and Annabelle. Generally I prefer girl's names that trade off between consonant and vowel, but Tatyana forces the voice into what I find to be a pleasent rhythm which I have always liked. Annabelle to me evokes a very happy and girlish feeling.

I have always found Lorelai to be a beautiful name and affixing it with my last name of Remer flows very well, forming alliteration with the R's and keeping the consonant/vowel flow.

I like Elizabeth as a very strong woman's name. It's hard to say the name without consciously enunciating properly. There's no mumbling this one.

Luther is after Martin Luther, who I feel is one of the greatest men throughout all history. And the name sounds great too. It's well-known but no one actually names their kid this, so it becomes memorable but not strange.

reanjr

First Post
comrade raoul said:
Now that you've said that I'm never going to forgive my parents for not naming me Alvin, and my two brothers Simon and Theodore, respectively.

(My current favorites: XY => Felix; XX => Clara.)

That would be fantastic. One might worry about the tease factor, though.

Treebore

First Post
reanjr said:
No kids, but my shortlist includes:

Richard
Erik
Lorelai
Tatyana
Elizabeth
Annabelle
Luther

I strongly believe in not using names where there could be any confusion over gender. I also think biblicals are waaay overused in America and so I won't use those either.

Richard is my name. I also think it's a strong name that has been with us for centuries and isn't going anywhere.

Eric is my middle name, but I prefer the spelling Erik since I think C is a useless letter that should be removed from the alphabet for clarity.

I like the nickname Anna, which leads me to Tatyana and Annabelle. Generally I prefer girl's names that trade off between consonant and vowel, but Tatyana forces the voice into what I find to be a pleasent rhythm which I have always liked. Annabelle to me evokes a very happy and girlish feeling.

I have always found Lorelai to be a beautiful name and affixing it with my last name of Remer flows very well, forming alliteration with the R's and keeping the consonant/vowel flow.

I like Elizabeth as a very strong woman's name. It's hard to say the name without consciously enunciating properly. There's no mumbling this one.

Luther is after Martin Luther, who I feel is one of the greatest men throughout all history. And the name sounds great too. It's well-known but no one actually names their kid this, so it becomes memorable but not strange.

Our adopted daughter is name Anastasiya, we call her Anna for short. Yes, she is Russian, and she hates being compared to the movie version "Anastasia", because everyone (well, most) tried to call her by Anastasia instead of Anastasiya.

Frukathka said:
I was and Still am a big fan of Sliders and Red Dwarf. I'd love to have three sons and three daughters, that is after I get hitched. So with respect to Sliders, I want to name one of my boys Quinn. And with respect to Red Dwarf I'd love to name the other sonm Lister. On top of that I was named after my father, and would love to carry on this tradition and name another son after myself. Not sure if the third to inheret the name would be the II or the III.

Would you give him the nickname Q-Ball too? I like the name Quinn, partly because of Sliders. However my wife shot that name down. Said it reminds her of Doctor Quinn: Medicine Woman. :(

Olaf the Stout

Ferret

Explorer
Treebore said:
Our adopted daughter is name Anastasiya, we call her Anna for short. Yes, she is Russian, and she hates being compared to the movie version "Anastasia", because everyone (well, most) tried to call her by Anastasia instead of Anastasiya.

My girlfriends is called Stacey, and she likes the name Anastasia though.

Remove ads