What do you use for a character sheet?

What do you use for a character sheet?

• Photocopies/printouts of the sheet in the PHB.

Votes: 41 15.1%
  • One of the alternate character sheets WotC has one their site.

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • The sheets from one of the Deluxe Character sheet packs (or copies of them).

Votes: 26 9.6%
  • A character sheet I downloaded from the internet.

Votes: 113 41.7%
  • A character sheet I designed and printed out.

Votes: 76 28.0%
  • The output of a character generator program (etools, PCGen, etc).

Votes: 54 19.9%
  • A normal sheet of paper.

Votes: 52 19.2%
  • Other (please describe).

Votes: 24 8.9%

Zakath429

First Post
I have to agree, I like EMA's character sheets for the spell list, but I am still looking for a good character sheet with a larger section for equipment (with locations for equipment).

Maldin

First Post
I still play 2E, and use my own class-specific sheets I designed years ago. Everything on 2 sides of a page, including new stats and the all-important character sketch! They've always gotten rave reviews (if you're a 2E player) and are available on my website at http://melkot.com/mechanics.html

Denis, aka "Maldin"
==================================
Maldin's Greyhawk http://melkot.com
Check out the ton of edition-independent material on my website!

Corsair

First Post
I've started getting into the habit of writing up my characters in note pad. As the vast majority of your character doesn't change level to level, I just keep all stats, skills, feats, and special abilities on page 1. page 2 is equipment and money, which I cross off and add stuff to in pencil. page 2 gets re-printed every couple weeks. page 1 gets re-printed when I level.

Spellcasters get a set of spell lists printed out which I found at the end of some freakishly large character sheet pdf (forgot which one...), but I have a seperate custom sheet for spells memorized. (Sorcerers get a simpler custom sheet)

Nareau

Explorer
Notepad.exe

Each session, I copy the contents of last session's character into a new document using the following schema Character Name - Class/Level (Date).txt

I then track HP, GP, equipment, etc in that document. I can literally tell my DM the date, villian, and circumstance under which each piece of treasure was acquired.

I've tried some more advanced solutions, but I find that none of them do everything well. Either the learning curve is too steep, or they don't show enough information, or they're too inflexible to handle our houserules.

Spider

gamecat

Explorer
Either a little green notebook where i keep my characters, lined paper, or a long ol' word document character sheet.

Staffan

Legend
Mark CMG said:
I hope you don't mind a short critique of the sheet included.

It has the same problem as many other sheets: too little space for feats/special abilities (if Klaus' sheet had more room for those, I would probably use that one). Only 10 short lines for feats (a 10th level human fighter has that many, and you might want to write a short explanation of the feat next to it) and 5 long lines for "features/traits". Meanwhile, it has three boxes for stats for companions/mounts/cohorts, something quite few characters have (and definitely not three of them).

I would rather see that space used for special abilities and/or feats, and have a separate less-detailed sheet (possibly taking up only half a page) for an animal companion, mount or familiar, or a full character sheet for a cohort.

Remove ads