D&D 5E What Is the Iconic Artwork Of 5E?

Sacrosanct

Legend
Most D&D players started with 5E, so I seriously doubt they would think of TSR art before they think of 5E art.
google most iconic D&D art and this is every 5th picture or so. So obviously a lot of people still know it even if they never played AD&D or BECMI

1686065107647.png

Parmandur

Book-Friend
google most iconic D&D art and this is every 5th picture or so. So obviously a lot of people still know it even if they never played AD&D or BECMI

View attachment 286951
And that's a great image. But the 5E PHB, DMG, and MM covers get reused for articles about D&D all the time, because people recognize them. I think st this point, early 5E is aestheticly iconic for most people, moreso than TSR by and large.

This is probably the best example of what I mentioned earlier about my favorite 5e bits being the "quieter" moments. It's a great piece.
That's kinda the weird thing about 5e art - the vast majority is good, high-quality and artisitic. But somehow it doesn't stand out.

I think perhaps it's because the art direction is too specific - most of the art look very similar, and while having a consistent vibe is a good thing 5e's art seems to blend together. The Syndrome Effect or something.

Having said all that - there are a few picks in the PHB and MM that I do really like, such as the hobgoblin and the elf wizard (in the blue dress) at the start of the magic section.

Remove ads