D&D 5E What Is the Iconic Artwork Of 5E?

Arnie_Wan_Kenobi

Aspiring Trickster Mentor
I was coming up with "nothing" from 5E that stands out like the Githyanki ( Fiend Folio ), the statue's gem eye (1E PHB), the party with the young green dragon (inside 2E PHB), or Lord Soth's ride, but I'll give that Strahd a vote for art remembered once we're on 7E.

@Uni-the-Unicorn!'s comment about what we know from when we come to the game being what sticks with us resonates. I started playing toward the end of 1E, start of 2E, and my list above certainly seems to echo that.

Horwath

Legend
1686120746284.png

always found Tasha's cover one of the best 5E artworks.

Evaniel

Filthy Casual (he/him)
I am really not a fan of Wayne Reynolds, specifically. His style is just not my jam, combined with the dungeonpunk thing not being appealing.
I get it, for sure, and 3.x's art style is probably my least favorite of the D&D editions overall.

Even though I don't play Pathfinder, I really like WAR's stuff in those books because of how well he captures movement and action. I love the old Elmore, Caldwell, etc. stuff, but it's very static. Even the so-called action shots look still and posed. When I look back at the Red Box cover art (which is still one of my favorites), I don't see movement, and I have a hard time figuring distances and proportions. By contrast, WAR's more comic-book style communicates it really well:
1686139105892.png

Obviously, I'm not trying to argue anyone into liking something they don't, but it took me a long time to name what it was I liked about WAR while still disliking the whole of 3.x's aesthetic.

All of that said, I haven't played PF enough to name anything I'd consider "iconic" from it.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I get it, for sure, and 3.x's art style is probably my least favorite of the D&D editions overall.

Even though I don't play Pathfinder, I really like WAR's stuff in those books because of how well he captures movement and action. I love the old Elmore, Caldwell, etc. stuff, but it's very static. Even the so-called action shots look still and posed. When I look back at the Red Box cover art (which is still one of my favorites), I don't see movement, and I have a hard time figuring distances and proportions. By contrast, WAR's more comic-book style communicates it really well:
View attachment 287031

Obviously, I'm not trying to argue anyone into liking something they don't, but it took me a long time to name what it was I liked about WAR while still disliking the whole of 3.x's aesthetic.

All of that said, I haven't played PF enough to name anything I'd consider "iconic" from it.
That's an interesting observation, and no doubt Reynolds is crazy talented. It just doesn't hit for me the way it seems to for some. A lot of it may have been less him, and more the art direction of the Aughts, but hard to seperate them since he was the premiere artist of the er

Voadam

Legend
She's come a long way since Temple of Elemental Evil.
Not a fan of the Fungal Stay Puft Marshmallow Woman?
1686261205781.png

Description: Zuggtmoy's natural form is bulbous. She resembles a puffball mushroom with a toadstool growing on top. Four elephantine legs with suckered bottoms support the spherical body. The globular torso is flattened at the bottom and bulges at its equator, so that the legs reach to a bit over 3-foot height, the body another 30 inches higher, but with a horizontal diameter of nearly five feet. The mushroom-stem neck is two feet long, capped by a head which appears to have squashed humanoid features. The eyes are round, black, and blank-looking.
Zuggtmoy can extrude a pair of three-foot long pseudopodial arms from either hemisphere of her body, at will. These growths can extend opposing digits if desired.
The body coloration is variable, as Zuggtmoy is able to change it to suit her surroundings, though she is typically of a pale grayish-white or brownish-white color, the head slightly darker. Color can be moss green, dull brown, red-orange, mottled purple, etc., ranging the whole spectrum of colors possible to fungi growths. Body texture and odor are likewise obviously fungoid. In all, Zuggtmoy is revolting to behold and disgusting to smell; blotchy patches of mold, smut, and blight cover her body. Her strength is great (19), and her gross weight is quite high, despite her fungoid nature-over 2,000 pounds.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Not a fan of the Fungal Stay Puft Marshmallow Woman?
View attachment 287159
Description: Zuggtmoy's natural form is bulbous. She resembles a puffball mushroom with a toadstool growing on top. Four elephantine legs with suckered bottoms support the spherical body. The globular torso is flattened at the bottom and bulges at its equator, so that the legs reach to a bit over 3-foot height, the body another 30 inches higher, but with a horizontal diameter of nearly five feet. The mushroom-stem neck is two feet long, capped by a head which appears to have squashed humanoid features. The eyes are round, black, and blank-looking.
Zuggtmoy can extrude a pair of three-foot long pseudopodial arms from either hemisphere of her body, at will. These growths can extend opposing digits if desired.
The body coloration is variable, as Zuggtmoy is able to change it to suit her surroundings, though she is typically of a pale grayish-white or brownish-white color, the head slightly darker. Color can be moss green, dull brown, red-orange, mottled purple, etc., ranging the whole spectrum of colors possible to fungi growths. Body texture and odor are likewise obviously fungoid. In all, Zuggtmoy is revolting to behold and disgusting to smell; blotchy patches of mold, smut, and blight cover her body. Her strength is great (19), and her gross weight is quite high, despite her fungoid nature-over 2,000 pounds.
I didn't have a problem with it, but she's gotten a major glowup since then.

Remove ads