• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is THE standard of hex grids?

bugnutz

First Post
Hex size

I play primarily Hero System which uses 1" hexes as its base. However, we often use hero clix or other such clix miniatures which have a slightly larger base and it usually ends up getting pretty jumbled up.

So I could see 1.25" accommodating these types of miniatures much better. Any larger than that and the table space required to get a good number of hexes on the table could be problematic. I think 1.5" would be too big.

But we have always made due with the 1" hexes and that size would work for us the majority of the time.

Thanks. Looking forward to the hex product.

Longtooth Studios

First Post
Hammering out the kinks. Want everything to be right when we turn them loose.

I think we will stick with the 1.25. Would that just ruin it for anyone? List reasons why.

Our reasoning is that we are focused on making them as versatile as possible. We want them to appeal to war gamers as well as role players.

On the side I would keep the option open for customization, but for primary production, I think that the 1.25 would hit more than it misses.

underthumb

First Post

I think we will stick with the 1.25. Would that just ruin it for anyone? List reasons why.

Bummer, 1.25 is a no-go for me. (I hope the customization option isn't too pricey.) I have miniature bases for GURPS that are basically made up of multiple 1" hexes, and I need them to align precisely to the grid, or things get sloppy.

sjmiller

Explorer

Our reasoning is that we are focused on making them as versatile as possible. We want them to appeal to war gamers as well as role players.

On the side I would keep the option open for customization, but for primary production, I think that the 1.25 would hit more than it misses.
For me and my group 1.5" hexes is a complete miss for every game we play, both RPG and wargame. Everything we play that uses a hex grid uses 1" hexes. All our miniatures are based for 1" hexes. All the scenery is based on 1" hexes. For us, a map board that uses 1.5" hexes would be completely useless.

Darn, I was hoping to get some of these. If you do 1" hexes, we are in, otherwise, I think it is a pass.

Catskinner

Villager

The exact size is critical for people who buy miniatures. I'm a RPGer, rarely a wargamer, and most of the RPG groups I've been in over the last decade have either made their own markers, or used such a wide assortment that having larger hexes is an improvement.

Catskinner

Villager
Anyone using hex for RPG, or is this mostly just for wargamers?
I'm play & run RPGs. My group has largely switched to a networkable graphics program for its game maps, but I prefer the dry erase variety. Computer maps are great when you plan out a "dungeon" in advance, but I'm running a character driven plotline. There are no guarantees of where the characters will go, and 99% of what they are doing is outdoors. Generating a wide variety of wilderness maps is much on the fly, the old fashioned way.

Catskinner

Villager
Transparent Tiles

Have you considered making the tiles from a transparent material?
Some factors:

• Durability: while likely more resistant to gross physical damage, scratches become an issue.
  • Convenience: drawing on paper with regular markers/crayons is easier, and over the long run cheaper, then dry erase markers.
  • Background Variation: for the hardcore, green paper for outdoor, blue for water, and so forth. When I was doing this with my roll-up hex map, I had folders of cut out scenery for terrain, which I would lay on the background, then thrown down the map; very nice.
  • Layers: used in conjunction with your other tiles, clear tiles could make multi-level battles more convenient.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads