• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What Specifically is Wrong with the FAQ?

Imagicka

Explorer
Greetings...

Something has bewildered me lately, and it's been the occational comment that entries in the FAQ are wrong/bad/incorrect/misleading/whatever.

Now, granted, I haven't gone over the FAQ with a fine tooth maraset. Only because I read the first FAQ when it came out... and I've never had a disagreement that required me to look it up in the FAQ. (usually because I made a ruling on the spot that my players felt was honest and fair)

So, let me ask the folks out there...
What specifically is your particular issue with FAQ entries?

I would like to know what issue and arguements are.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
The FAQ sometimes tries to clarify contentious issues that have opposed camps both claiming RAW support for their positions. No matter which side the FAQ supports in this regard, the other camp's members will often be so invested in their interpretations of the RAW that they will dis the FAQ.
I think we've seen that with the metamagic rod issue and two-weapon fighting recently. I'm sure I could think of more given a few minutes.

As for me, I like the FAQ most of the time because it gives me an idea how the designers look at playing the game and its rules, which may be different from how the rules come across when put down on paper (particularly if put down on paper in an ambiguous fashion). I still come to my own conclusions and house rule things the way I want them for the most part, but the FAQ lifts the curtain a little and I always like that.

Last edited:

Rhun

First Post
billd91 said:
As for me, I like the FAQ most of the time because it gives me an idea how the designers look at playing the game and its rules, which may be different from how the rules come across when put down on paper (particularly if put down on paper in an ambiguous fashion).

This is assuming, of course, that the FAQ are actually written by the designer. Which they aren't, unless you are simply considering Wizards to the designer.

The basic problem with the FAQ is that they are not the RAW.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Rhun said:
This is assuming, of course, that the FAQ are actually written by the designer. Which they aren't, unless you are simply considering Wizards to the designer.
In point of fact, the FAQ is written by the designers. Both Skip Williams (the previous author) and Andy Collins (the current author) are designers. Although the FAQ doesn't explicitly say who's answering the questions, the person answering them is the Sage.

Thanee

First Post
What I do not quite like about the FAQ is, that it is half-FAQ, half-errata. They should seperate these two better.

The FAQ should only clarify. Actual changes to the rules should go into the errata.

But apart from this and a handful of really bad rulings (i.e. the new metamagic rods ruling), the FAQ is definitely a good thing. :)

Bye
Thanee

Ranger REG

Explorer
borc killer said:
Really? Cool. I had no idea he was doing that know... i wondered why the FAQ starting making more sense...
Apparently, not everyone agree with the successor of the Sage Advice. Personally, the Sage should not be one person but a panel group.

Last edited:

Ranger REG

Explorer
Thanee said:
What I do not quite like about the FAQ is, that it is half-FAQ, half-errata. They should seperate these two better.
They should, but in practice, WotC haven't done much to update the errata regularly. For them, it's one of those "we'll get to it when we're not busy" tasks.

Instead, they just take the printed Sage Advice column and stuck it into the FAQ in the appropriate sections.

moritheil

First Post
What's wrong is that it spawns not one, but two contentious threads in the rules forum, thereby causing heated exchanges to take place while people ignore the other rules threads. ;)

Remove ads