• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E What was Paizo thinking? 3.75 the 4E clone?

bording

Explorer
I don't believe anyone has had to pay yet. They didn't have to pay until after they signed the NDA and had a chance to look at the GSL. Once they see the terms, then they can decide to pay.

Jack99

Adventurer
JediSoth said:
As I recall, Paizo did pay the $5,000 for the sneak-peek GSL, but WotC is 3 months late releasing it to the early adopters.

No-one has paid the 5k. It has been stated again and again by Mona and co.

dmccoy1693

Adventurer
Shadewyn said:
That would be choice B ... continue to support 3.5E material. Which is NOT what they are doing.

Paizo is doing choice C ... not convert to 4E and then also not continue with 3.5E and instead push to the Pathfinder system.

The market for 3.5E remaining folks I agree is larger than just Pathfinder.

I beg to differ. Pathfinder RPG is going to be using an altered version of the 3.5 rulesset with back compatability. While there will be differences, the alpha test is probably the most radical changed the game will see, they want to see just how much the fanbase wants something different. i.e. If the fanbase likes a SAGA-ized skill system, they wouldn't find out unless they presented it to the testers. There appears to be widespread dislike of it so they have already stated they are making changes to it. But they won't be able to find out exactly how different/similar to 3.5 they want the rules unless they give it a test, and that is what the Alpha test is doing.

But back compatability is a major design goal. And frankly, I trust Paizo to see it done.

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
Epic
bording said:
I don't believe anyone has had to pay yet. They didn't have to pay until after they signed the NDA and had a chance to look at the GSL. Once they see the terms, then they can decide to pay.

My misunderstanding then. I had not seen those statements again and again...but then, I generally shy away from 4E threads.

Sorry about that.

Shadewyn

First Post
Rauol_Duke said:
Well, I am certainly glad that Lisa, Erik and Co. have a better sense for their business than you do.

Hmmm ... Major corporations with market research and various buisiness professionals on this board (I am a financial analyst by trade) ... or a small time group of creative writers with very limited resources.

I do belive sir that there are some VERY exciting opportunities in Floridian swamp land that I would like to discuss with you if you have the time. :)

If you think that the fact that one is "in a business" means knowing how to "run a business" then you are not aware that lots of business research today pegs the rate of small business failure at around 50% to 75% in the first 5 years due (go google the intrawebs, there is a lot of backup data on this)*.

Number one cause of small business failure in the first 5 years ...

Failure to understand their market.

Based on those odds alone unless you know of sheer BRILLANCE at Paizo in the corporate sence (they certainly have in in their writing) then the Vegas odds are that they made a bone head move.

However just like Vegas where people KNOW they will statisically fail and loose money, you can build an empire of glitz and glam on top of the shattered hopes and dreams of those who refuse to face reality.

*by the way I am quoting conservative failure rates. Some universities quote a nearly 90% failure rate, largely for shock value and most feel they incorporate things that are not true deaths.

Rauol_Duke

First Post
Shadewyn said:
Hmmm ... Major corporations with market research and various buisiness professionals on this board (I am a financial analyst by trade) ... or a small time group of creative writers with very limited resources.

I'm still confident that Paizo knows their business better than you, or any of the various busieness professional on this board, since they have grown their business in the past five years and have the market research, which I assume you do not, to back up their decisions. If you happen to have some of Paizo's sales figures and market research data, please share it with us, as I'm sure it would better contribute to this dialogue.

Shadewyn said:
I do belive sir that there are some VERY exciting opportunities in Floridian swamp land that I would like to discuss with you if you have the time. :)

No thanks, I'd rather support a small time group of creative writers with very limited resources. Try harder next time.

Wolfspider

Explorer
Rauol_Duke said:
Well, I am certainly glad that Lisa, Erik and Co. have a better sense for their business than you do.

Shadewyn said:

So, Shadewyn, are you saying here that you have the professional knowledge of a major coporation?

If not, then your response doesn't seem to make any sense.

Remove ads