What world was the original Ravenloft 'supposed' to be set in?

Glyfair

Explorer
MerricB said:
Tomb mentions several places in Greyhawk it could be set.

Another example of the evolution of the adventure locations. "Could be set" implies that it's not actually a Greyhawk adventure, but an adventure that can be set in Greyhawk. The World of Greyhawk Fantasy Game Setting lists a single "canon" location in Greyhawk.

The early adventures were generic in location. As Gary began working on World of Greyhawk Fantasy Game Setting suggested locations were given. Once it was published (or close to being published) most adventures were explicitly set in Greyhawk. As FR gets closer to being published Greyhawk stops being the default setting assumption.

Mercule

Adventurer
MerricB said:
Most of the very early D&D modules were set in Greyhawk.

Ah, but "set in Greyhawk" had a different meaning back then. It was pretty much a way to have generic names without them being truly generic. Instead of having to "file the serial numbers off", Greyhawk modules were more like easy-peel labels.

Edit: I'd really like to see a generic world like that again.

Huw

First Post
Korgoth said:
They did do that with DoD... very strange. They didn't with I7 (Baltron's Beacon), but I don't have anything later than that in the I series.

I14 Swords of the Iron Legion is Forgotten Realms. It even has the Forgotten Realms logo.

Cthulhudrew

First Post
MerricB said:
I know the later printings of X1 have it... did the original printing? There are differences.

The original version (blue cover) is where the information was originally presented. That info was later reproduced in the second printing (orange cover) that accompanied the blue box Expert set. The original Expert set (Cook) also included some setting information on Karameikos that served as a companion piece to the Known World information in X1.

The only changes that I know of between versions were the cover, interior artwork, and some changed monsters in the module itself.

[EDIT- Also, interestingly enough, the original Jean Wells (orange cover) B3: Palace of the Silver Princess contains references to the Principalities of Glantri- including a map setting the module on the plateau to the west of that region- but all such references were removed from the 2nd/altered (green cover) printing of the module, which was then retroactively placed in Karameikos.]

Last edited:

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
green slime said:
That is only a suggestion raised in I10 itself. No mention of that is made in I6.

I'm pretty certain that I had a copy of I6 in which this was listed as the endgame scenario (post-Strahd encounter), though I could be mistaken. It's been almost a decade since I parted with my box of AD&D 1e modules, save for a handful of rare ones (I6 isn't especially rare, so I didn't keep it).

green slime

First Post
jdrakeh said:
I'm pretty certain that I had a copy of I6 in which this was listed as the endgame scenario (post-Strahd encounter), though I could be mistaken. It's been almost a decade since I parted with my box of AD&D 1e modules, save for a handful of rare ones (I6 isn't especially rare, so I didn't keep it).

Dang it. Now I have to go and dig it up to see who was right.... (me and my big right index finger...)

Klaus

First Post
green slime said:
Dang it. Now I have to go and dig it up to see who was right.... (me and my big right index finger...)
Just looked it up. No, no dream. The optional ending is the Sergei/Tatyana thing. Then the fog dissolves and "Barovia is free once more".

Remove ads