• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

what would these Spellcraft DC's be for these spells?

TrueSpade

First Post
I thought of some cool spells, but their Spellcraft DC's are likely to be in the thousands. So I just wanted to toss some spells that I think would be awesome. What is a good ad hoc for "no save" ?

1: Summoning 1d10 Seraphim
2: Summoning 4d8 Amidah Templated Specters
3: Inflicting 5d20 Negative Levels (no save)
4: Summoning 6d8 Molydei
5: Throwing a 5000ft circumference, 10 mile blast radius, fireball. :D

Sekhmet

First Post
#5 About the same as a level 9 spell. See: Locate City Bomb.
#4 Summoning 6d8 (24) CR16 creatures, assuming this functions in all other ways as Summon Monster, would have a base of DC42 for one, and 2016 for 6d8. I'd set the DC at around 80.
#3 : I wouldn't set this any higher than DC 100. Negative Levels are far too easy to ignore at that level.
#2 DC311 for one, 9952 for 32. I'd never allow such a spell to be anything but a ritual, and would probably set the DC at ~5,000.

Nezkrul

First Post
"target" spells usually don't have "no save", "aimed" spells usually have "no save"; so I wouldn't allow "no save" on a spell that just lets you pick target(s) in range and it affects them; a ray or orb spell that requires a hit roll I would allow "no save" on. Ad hoc? +50 is what I would say would be appropriate.

TrueSpade

First Post
Yeah hahah all these spells are way past overpowered, but thats what happens when you and your players start discussing epic spells out of boredom hahaha.

As for the ad hoc. I think it really should depend on the spell. Like a no save against a spell that makes you dance probably isn't as bad as a spell that gives you negative levels. Though +50 does seem pretty high up.

The Amidah Templated Dread Wraiths was sort of asking for it hahaha. But I noticed there was no estimate for summoning 1d10 seraphim. Although I venture it probably would be way past even the 6d8 Molydeus summon.

TrueSpade

First Post
Seraphim are from the Immortals Handbook. You can probably find a pdf of it online somewhere, (but thats more trouble than you should go through lol).

Basically it was an angel with an aura 4 times stronger and its HD was d100's. :p It also had a bunch of other nifty abilities, but thinking of it now, summoning one would be next to impossible hahaha.

EDIT: http://www.scribd.com/doc/54738242/The-Immortals-Handbook-Epic-Bestiary-Volume-One-v1-5-EPI1000

You have to use the documents search feature to get to it, and press Ctrl and "+" so you can read it, but its the closest I could get to it.

Last edited:

Sekhmet

First Post
Seraphim are from the Immortals Handbook. You can probably find a pdf of it online somewhere, (but thats more trouble than you should go through lol).

Basically it was an angel with an aura 4 times stronger and its HD was d100's. :p It also had a bunch of other nifty abilities, but thinking of it now, summoning one would be next to impossible hahaha.

EDIT: The Immortals Handbook - Epic Bestiary - Volume One [v1.5] (EPI1000)

You have to use the documents search feature to get to it, and press Ctrl and "+" so you can read it, but its the closest I could get to it.

I'd set it about the same as Amidah Template'd Specters, or about 5,000.

SolitonMan

Explorer
Supporter
I was noodling around with epic spells a while back and statted up this one, may be useful in terms of the giant fireball.

Devastate: seed: destroy (DC 29); change target to area (+10); change area to 20-foot radius (+2); increase area to 1 mile radius (increase area 100% x 264) (+1056); standard action (+20); increase to d10 damage (+20); add 280 dice of damage (+560); mitigating factors: 400d6 backlash (-400); Spellcraft DC: 1297.

Devastate will cause 300d10 of disintegrate damage in a 1-mile radius from its point of origin. The range of the spell is 12000 feet, which is more than enough to ensure the caster is well beyond the area of effect.

The "character" I created this for is a deity, so the DC of 1297 was actually pretty reasonable considering where it could have gone.

Sekhmet

First Post
[MENTION=4679]Loren Pechtel[/MENTION] I think that he means the ball has a 5,000' circumference, and it explodes into a 10 mile radius.

Remove ads