• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What would you run if you didn't worry about stats?

Ry

Explorer
Crothian, come on, that's a bit unfair. "Fear of stats" isn't what I was talking about - "Acceptance of how complex stats work affects gameplay" is more what I was getting at, and I think that's obvious to people replying here (even the joking ones).

Crothian

First Post
rycanada said:
Crothian, come on, that's a bit unfair. "Fear of stats" isn't what I was talking about - "Acceptance of how complex stats work affects gameplay" is more what I was getting at, and I think that's obvious to people replying here (even the joking ones).

If people are altering their games because stats get to complex, I think fear works. There could be other reasons, but I choose to pick that one. Would you have perfered I use the term lazy? :cool:

Crothian

First Post
Halivar said:
8^|
Someone get me a link! Stat!

It's been out of print for a while. I think it was published in 91 with a single suppliment, Shadow Knights, that came out in 93. It has become a bit on the rare side.

Henry

Autoexreginated
I'd run an epic battle between 6 20th level characters and 3 or 4 pit fiends or Balors. Just thinking about the numbers-juggling involved would be like balancing the books for a midsized business. :)

Cedric

First Post
Halivar said:
8^|
Someone get me a link! Stat!

It's been out of print since 2004, however you could likely find one in local game stores that have a good used section, in the used area of amazon.com or on ebay.

There is the Main Book and one Supplement of note (though there may be others).

The game is a LOT of fun, but requires a very skilled group to be really successful. It helps to have read the books (at least the GM "must" know the books), but having 1-2 players who haven't read the books is fine.

The game really, really, really needs imaginative players.

FWIW, if your game can survive the Character Creation Stat Auction...it'll likely be a successful Amber game that the players totally get hooked into.

Cedric

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
I would run a Xenogears-esque mecha & superpowers game, except with a steampunk/WW1 vibe, and I'd run it with HERO. It would have a military theme (large scale combat FTW!) involving dozens of mecha and characters capable of fighting them on foot in many encounters. Sometimes the PCs would fight in-mecha, sometimes out. In some adventures, they would switch from mecha to on foot several times during the course of the scenario, regularly splitting the party as one character infiltrated while others fended off opposing mechaneers, etc.

Frankly, if I didn't have to worry about generating stats and had a computer with a program capable of doing all the numbers work during play, I'd use HERO for everything.

As it stands, I mostly use Mutants & Masterminds for everything, but that particular concept really pushes the envelope of playability even with M&M.

Aeric

Explorer
MoogleEmpMog said:
I would run a Xenogears-esque mecha & superpowers game, except with a steampunk/WW1 vibe, and I'd run it with HERO. It would have a military theme (large scale combat FTW!) involving dozens of mecha and characters capable of fighting them on foot in many encounters. Sometimes the PCs would fight in-mecha, sometimes out. In some adventures, they would switch from mecha to on foot several times during the course of the scenario, regularly splitting the party as one character infiltrated while others fended off opposing mechaneers, etc.

Frankly, if I didn't have to worry about generating stats and had a computer with a program capable of doing all the numbers work during play, I'd use HERO for everything.

As it stands, I mostly use Mutants & Masterminds for everything, but that particular concept really pushes the envelope of playability even with M&M.

Oh, man! I would totally love to play in that game! And I will be using the term "mechaneers" at the next opportunity! :D

Remove ads