• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What would you run if you didn't worry about stats?

Ry

Explorer
Crothian said:
If people are altering their games because stats get to complex, I think fear works. There could be other reasons, but I choose to pick that one. Would you have perfered I use the term lazy? :cool:

Thanks you Crothian. That was both insightful and helpful.

Shadowsmith

Explorer
Cedric said:
The game is a LOT of fun, but requires a very skilled group to be really successful. It helps to have read the books (at least the GM "must" know the books), but having 1-2 players who haven't read the books is fine.

The game really, really, really needs imaginative players.

FWIW, if your game can survive the Character Creation Stat Auction...it'll likely be a successful Amber game that the players totally get hooked into.

Cedric
I've been running Amber games off and on since it was published. Heck, I ran my first campaign set in the Amber 'universe' in the late 1980s using Lords of Creation. The players didn't learn about Amber for over a year real world time.

Currently I am running an Amber Diceless game for my wife and three of our friends. Dang is it hard to get some people out of the D&D mindset! I find it easiest to skip the auction and let people make their characters with my help. Once characters are finished I announced who was first rank in each attribute.

If you're interested some information regarding the game can be found here.

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
Aeric said:
Oh, man! I would totally love to play in that game! And I will be using the term "mechaneers" at the next opportunity! :D

I'd love to play in it even more than I'd love to run it, provided the tropes were maintained, but unfortunately I'd have to run it... and I don't have the guts to try. :( I could possibly pull off the mecha side in Silhouette Core, but as much as I love SilCore, it doesn't do superheroic mortals well, IMO. Especially vs. vehicle-scale opponents. M&M or HERO, or d20 Modern with an appropriate suite of supplements, could certainly do it justice, but the work involved would itself be mecha-scale.

Anyway, I don't have the players for it locally.

Be my guest to use 'mechaneer,' but, please, please don't use it in anything for profit/publication. I think it's original - don't recall hearing it anywhere else - and it's slated to appear in some of my work, so... :\

Thanee

First Post
rycanada said:
Made me smile, Thanee :)

That's good. :) Even though it wasn't really meant as a joke. It only kinda sidestepped your question, I guess. ;)

rycanada said:
Just wondering; what adventures would you run if you weren't worried about stats? Imagine you didn't have to read stat blocks in advance, and could do it all off the top of your head.

I can, so... anything that seems cool and fun (in no particular order). :D

Bye
Thanee

diaglo said:
Assault on the Moathouse outside the Village of Hommlet.

20 players optimal

using the OD&D(1974) boxed set.

edit: this would be before the fall of the Temple of Elemental Evil. so that means before the Moathouse was destroyed the first time.
edit2: someone ran this recently. i'd love to do likewise.
You mean, you weren't supposed to? We turned it into our base of operations while foraying into the temple. Hired a few retainers to fix it up, etc. When we got out at name level, instant followers. :) (Hommlet was ill named after that.)

Crothian

First Post
rycanada said:
Thanks you Crothian. That was both insightful and helpful.

It was supposed to help out the discusion by having a statement people can disagree with and place their own reasons for this. If you read anything more into it then that, you've read to much.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
I have one gamer friend that isn't too much into buying books, but loves a plethora of campaign settings. So, whenever I visit him and we decide to game, which definetely a spur of the moment thing with him, we just grab some of his characters and play regardless of the lack of books. This happens once every two months.

Zweihänder

First Post
A team of ten 20th level PCs versus the entire population of the world. It would be easy, until they got to Tony Jaa. I think they would lose to him. After all, he's a level 80 Monk.

Remove ads