When a man plays a woman

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
So I'm a cis-norm male, and I realized that all the D&D characters I've ever played were also cis-norm male. And in roleplaying games, you have this unique opportunity to play a person completely different from you in so many ways, but in this way I've been unable to step outside this one characteristic. I've never personally been interested in playing a female character. Not because I didn't think it would be interesting or fun, but because I didn't think I could really pull it off. And this also got me thinking about other people I've gamed with. In my experience when men play as women, they play up the seductress part (perhaps part of the male fantasy of how women should be?), or have some sexual trauma in their character's history that defines them as man hating violence mongers. In a sense, the aspect of playing female becomes an incredibly central aspect of the character who is more cartoon than a flesh-out character. Perhaps this is my own bias coming out, but this is one of the reasons that I never wanted to run a female character, because I didn't really feel I could avoid this pitfall.

On the other hand, I can totally understand a person (regardless of gender or gender identity) playing a male character, since it allows them to explore issues of power, status, and all sorts of other things that don't inherently connect with being male, but is one of the privileges of being male. Additionally, being a therapist and working with adolescents, I can see people playing cross gender as a way to explore their own gender identity.

These were just some thoughts I was having in response to one of my players proposing the character they were thinking of running. Has anyone here had an experience of playing someone of a different gender identity? What was it like and how did you play that character?

ccs

41st lv DM
I'm the DM. I have to play all types of characters....

That said, I currently play two female characters as PCs:

1) A 12 year old 1/2ling warlock girl - mostly I just try & remember what my buddies daughter was like at that age & do that. Just backed up by some magic and a psuedo-dragon.....
The hardest part is talking in rapid run on sentences that include excess details. :)
She's a warlock because I just really wanted to see how this class played in 5e. The personality/aproach to playing her really came when I promoted her from plot device NPC in my own game to PC in the shops Strahd adventure.

2) (in PF) A manipulative female tiefling divination wizard. This one's even easier to play. She's just a (more) evil version of an Ex....
At least in the game her horns and tail are obvious & there's spells that'll reveal her true alignment.
She was created specifically to mess with another players Paladin. Mission acomplished.

Last edited:

Roseweave

Explorer
Did anyone else internally read the thread title to the tune of this?

[video=youtube;Y8raabzZNqw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8raabzZNqw[/video]

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
I'm the DM. I have to play all types of characters....

This is a good point. But I feel there is a difference between an NPC played by the DM and the PCs. NPCs are tools for the purpose of moving the story along. Many won't get the same kind of screen time or development as the characters do. NPCs don't really have to be fleshed out or have depth. And even when they do, the spotlight really isn't on them.

Did anyone else internally read the thread title to the tune of this?

I'm glad someone picked that up! ^_^ Completely intentional.

Remathilis

Legend
I've not played many female PCs to any great length, but recently in my last few games, I've had:

* A male play a female not as a sex-object, but as a fine, capable woman. Aside from occasional references to liking certain clothes or jewelry, he played her pretty evenly and rarely made issue of her gender.
* a female play a male character who was a himbo (8 int and wis) and was narcessistic, smug, and a complete dufus. She played him up like he was a "player" but clearly had no game.

Neither seemed out of place nor awkward. As a DM, I've had dozens of female NPCs (some party members, some villains) and nobody questions that either.

I've also had straight players play gay/bisexual PCs (male and female) and gay players play straight, fwiw.

Teflon Billy

Explorer
Generally as a DM I don't allow it, largely from experiences early on in my time in the hobby. When I started really delving into RPG's (in my early 20's) any time a guy played a woman, it was a countdown til he started attempting to trade sexual favors (which, admittedly came at no cost and unlimited supply) for setting benefits. Paired with the other (less common) "guy is attempting to work out his sexual issues" instance; I mostly just denied any request for cross gender rp (well, m to f anyway)

There have been exceptions, but this is my general rule and I've never really regretted it.

Roseweave

Explorer
So I'm a cis-norm male, and I realized that all the D&D characters I've ever played were also cis-norm male. And in roleplaying games, you have this unique opportunity to play a person completely different from you in so many ways, but in this way I've been unable to step outside this one characteristic. I've never personally been interested in playing a female character. Not because I didn't think it would be interesting or fun, but because I didn't think I could really pull it off. And this also got me thinking about other people I've gamed with. In my experience when men play as women, they play up the seductress part (perhaps part of the male fantasy of how women should be?), or have some sexual trauma in their character's history that defines them as man hating violence mongers. In a sense, the aspect of playing female becomes an incredibly central aspect of the character who is more cartoon than a flesh-out character. Perhaps this is my own bias coming out, but this is one of the reasons that I never wanted to run a female character, because I didn't really feel I could avoid this pitfall.

On the other hand, I can totally understand a person (regardless of gender or gender identity) playing a male character, since it allows them to explore issues of power, status, and all sorts of other things that don't inherently connect with being male, but is one of the privileges of being male. Additionally, being a therapist and working with adolescents, I can see people playing cross gender as a way to explore their own gender identity.

These were just some thoughts I was having in response to one of my players proposing the character they were thinking of running. Has anyone here had an experience of playing someone of a different gender identity? What was it like and how did you play that character?

Trans woman player here.

Character I currently play is female. Last character in last campaign was a dude(while I still identified as trans, but not as openly so - mostly I just had an idea for a character I wanted to run with). My next character will be female too, though maybe trans(which will largely be incidental, other than having an excuse for why she can drop her voice as part of disguises, lol) and a little more genderqueer than myself.

What's interesting is the character I currently play is sort of a mix of exaggerated feminine tropes - she's a Courtesan, Diva-ish type but also Disney Princess-ish. Basically she's more of a drag queen than I ever could be, lol. It'd be pretty hard and potentially insulting for a (cis het) guy to play a character like that. Some of the lewd jokes(while I try to keep it to a minimum most of the time, as it's not that sort of game) would be particularly jarring for someone who's not a woman(and has no experience of sex work/sex worker culture - as a brief stint as a camgirl and having experienced some pretty nasty slutshaming as a result, along with engaging in a lot of SW activism, I am in a place where certain words are a bit more mine to reclaim). I suppose you could get into the territory of "Is drag offensive?"(personally I don't regard it as such, depending, a lot of young white trans people don't know their history that well & there isn't always a clear separation) but I think that they're two very different forms of performance, that sort of stage entertainment relies heavily on a over the top persona whereas PCs while often comically exaggerated in some ways tend to be more intimate and complex as they need to function in a variety of different situations with different people.

Ellie was never really a seductress type as such, though since she's supposed to be a Leanan Sídhe(mechanically Eladrin with a lot of charm & enabling magic) a degree of that is inherent to the character. I play the Courtesan thing as an extension of that rather than the other way around though, she's sort of the quirky fairy that whisks you away to another world, has that inherent kind of excitable charisma and works outward from that, as opposed to being traditionally seductive(though I do imagine a lot of her outfits being pretty cleavage-heavy) so just relies on people finding her fascinating or attractive and cute as she is. She has slept with a number of NPCs, but got incredibly nervous around a character she was actually interested in(it worked out in the end, thanks GM!).

I think stuff like that can help diffuse a stereotype. Make a character that isn't straightforward, and even if they embody a trope or some tropes find a way to have them play off each other, or throw in some endearing(or not so endearing) character flaws.

As for the exploring one's identity thing - interestingly enough my current character saw me all the way through transition more or less(from first actually helpful therapist apt. to being 3 years on HRT) so that was an interesting experience, but I was already pretty sure of who I was. What was sucky is that back in my old college there used to be a ban on dudes playing lesbians. Their reasoning was that, basically when dudes do that they just play them like dudes(they probably added something offensively cisnormative like "with :):):):)"). I can on one level sort of understand this issue, but it's strange they never considered the pitfalls mentioned by the OP. It also sucked for me as someone who identified as - guess what a - a woman largely attracted to other women.

Venley

First Post
Female here. About a quarter of my characters over nearly 40 years have been male. They range from stereotypes to well-remembered personalities that feature in our group's stories decades later. I find it easier to portray intellectual or artistic men than really macho guys (the latter tend to come out very stereotyped).

As for my players (we rotate GMs), all are male. One rarely plays women but does a great job of leader-types when he does. One was a young student when I met him and he refused to play women but after chatting with him over several months, he has rarely played other than women since ... ok but not well. The other two of my main players split genders about 50/50 and both represent either gender very realistically. Others who play more rarely with us tend to play fewer women. The only others who stand out as not playing women at all over the years were gay or Muslim.

In games where we are playing so many different species, it always surprises me that some people get hung up on the issue of a different gender.

Venley

First Post
Generally as a DM I don't allow it, largely from experiences early on in my time in the hobby. When I started really delving into RPG's (in my early 20's) any time a guy played a woman, it was a countdown til he started attempting to trade sexual favors (which, admittedly came at no cost and unlimited supply) for setting benefits. Paired with the other (less common) "guy is attempting to work out his sexual issues" instance; I mostly just denied any request for cross gender rp (well, m to f anyway)

There have been exceptions, but this is my general rule and I've never really regretted it.

This surprises me.
Plus, to me it is the player's choice to make, not the GMs. Perhaps I just have nice mature friends to game with.

Roseweave

Explorer

With my character I used her Courtesan-ing(and general Bard-ing I guess) as an explanation for where random items came from, which sometimes just so happened to be plot relevant. She had a "Warddrobe of Holding"(bag of holding that could initially only hold) even at first level that suddenly made more sense when that aspect of her was revealed.

I actually never created the character as a Courtesan outright, just with some influence from the sort of imagery associated, but there was a point where the GM mentioned gifts she was receiving from "patrons" and it sort of clicked, lol. You kind of have to be careful with me I guess because I'll take things and make something out of the possibly unintended implications. A lot of stuff about the character made suddenly sense to me though so I'm glad the GM let me went down that route even if he wasn't necessarily 100% comfortable with it at the time. It filled some holes(pardon the pun) in her somewhat convoluted backstory and made her an interesting mirror for her philandering father(who's nature we discovered soon after).

There's a recurring NPC in the game who's more of a stereotypically "slutty" sort, and having my character in the game sort of helps balance out any negative implications of that character(and yeah, they did end up doing stuff), not that she's the best role model either necessarily but still.

I've not played many female PCs to any great length, but recently in my last few games, I've had:

* A male play a female not as a sex-object, but as a fine, capable woman. Aside from occasional references to liking certain clothes or jewelry, he played her pretty evenly and rarely made issue of her gender.
* a female play a male character who was a himbo (8 int and wis) and was narcessistic, smug, and a complete dufus. She played him up like he was a "player" but clearly had no game.

Neither seemed out of place nor awkward. As a DM, I've had dozens of female NPCs (some party members, some villains) and nobody questions that either.

I've also had straight players play gay/bisexual PCs (male and female) and gay players play straight, fwiw.

We have a guy in our group who habitually plays female characters and though a lot of his influence coming from anime & manga which can veer into dodgy territory we generally trust him to do it well and he does. He plays the more gruffer strong female character as opposed to my archetypically feminine one. He wanted to play a bi/lesbian character in the next game(I think he was actually initially influenced by Asami from the Legend of Korra) and honestly I'm pretty cool with it. He's not the biggest social justice head or anything but he's pretty un-edgy and avoids crap stereotypes.

Last leader character in the last campaign(where i played a male Tiefling Paladin) was also played a guy who often plays female characters, and did it well. Though again erred a little bit on the side of doing a more archetypically "masculine" female character for want of a much better word. Which I don't really have a problem with so much, unlike those GMs. I'm not the goddamn gender police, lol.

Last edited:

Remove ads