When a man plays a woman

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
@Roseweave, you were asked to stick to gaming and refrain from real world politics and - specifically, the term "SJW" was identified as an obvious clue. You chose to do none of those three things. Please do not post in this thread again. We are serious when we say that politics have no place on this website.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Incidentally, without getting into the accuracy of what he posted, Anon Adderlan is correct in that facts always supersede feelings in importance. Your lived experiences mean nothing. Neither do mine.
Well, yes they do, as those experiences are - in fact - facts. It's a fact, for example, that I played in a D&D game last night; and while meaningless to you as you weren't involved in any way, my lived experience of playing in that game is still an actual fact and doesn't really need a peer-reviewed study to prove it. :)

Now how I *feel* about how that game went or what happened within it is a different question, but likely easy enough to extrapolate from the following fact: my number one character died. Again.

Which is more important to you? In fairness probably neither hold any importance to you at all, which I'd fully understand; but relatively speaking I'd guess the facts of the gameplay and the PC death.
Which is more important to me? The feelings generated by those events. And, were I to for some reason post that game's story on here, those feelings would doubtless show through.

What I'm getting at (badly, I suspect) is that lived experiences *are* facts, and in many-but-by-no-means-all cases it's not that hard to extrapolate what feelings might result. As RP-ers we probably do this all the time when using our character backgrounds to justify or explain why our character's personality is what it is.

Lan-"pushing up the daisies"-efan

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
[MENTION=6806914]Roseweave[/MENTION] Glad to see you're open about your hypocrisy, at least. "An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind." The "bullies" being harassed are often innocent of any of their supposed crimes (such as the latest controversy around tweets remembering Carrie Fisher), and even if they were bigots, attempting to bring your own brand of vigilante justice to them through social media and the like only proves that you don't want equality, just your turn as the oppressor so you can meet out your preferred brand of 'justice'.

Incidentally, without getting into the accuracy of what he posted, Anon Adderlan is correct in that facts always supersede feelings in importance. Your lived experiences mean nothing. Neither do mine. Not unless they're being presented as a comprehensive (and preferably peer-reviewed) study. This is why you erase the experiences of the people he has linked to supporting his position, and vice-versa, because you're just slinging anecdotes at each other fruitlessly.

I would lastly like to agree with dropbear that this is insane. Not because of the question itself per se, but because it so aptly highlights the poisonous depths that identity politics has dominated discussions in recent years. Play what you want, you don't need a doctorate in sociology to vindicate your decisions.

Also please do not post in this thread again. The term "identity politics" is a big flag that you're talking about politics instead of gaming.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

The group I'm in one younger player made a bunch of really obnoxious pussy jokes earlier on since I played a female weretiger. I told him my character considered these comments to be in character and was tired of it, and if she heard them again she'd gut him. I don't hear pussy jokes anymore.

I play a hot-tempered, vengeful female gunslinger in a weird west setting. We had captured a pair of murdering train robbers and were trying to intimidate them into telling us where the rest of the money was hidden. I said tell us where the money is or I would blow their balls off. One of them suggested I should get down on my knees then. Yeah, that was the wrong thing to say. I pointed my revolver at his groin and fired and my PC is a crack shot. He falls on the ground screaming. The rest of my posse (all male PCs) stare at me in horror, one is so horrified his PC runs away because he can't watch anymore (lol). The partner of the castrated train robber immediately starts blubbering please don't do that to me and tells us where the money is hidden. Problem solved!

The GM running this scenario and portraying the murdering train robbers was female. And I was a man playing a female gunslinger.

Last edited:

ArchfiendBobbie

First Post
I make a simple character profile and then ask myself, "what's the first mental image that crops up with this?" And that's how I describe my character.

Well, except for the times it's a character race totally unplayable in the game. Then I have to go for the second image. A cyborg ferret is unlikely to be accepted in DnD.

Other than that, I play them as people according to their personality make-up. Occasionally toss in a major quirk that gets mentioned a lot if it fits them. Otherwise... people are people.

Remove ads