D&D 5E When did you last buy a WotC D&D5e product? (not a third party or DM Guild)

When did you last buy a WotC D&D5e product? (not a third party or DM Guild)

The Soloist

Adventurer
It seems so much longer for me because I used to purchase everything D&D. Now I'm spending so much more on 3PP, Pathfinder, Free League, etc.
It's not just that I haven't purchased a WotC book in a calendar year - it's that in previous eras I might've purchased 6 or more books in the same timespan.
Same. In the 1980s 100% of my RPG budget went to TSR. In the 1990s they got 70%. During the 2000s 50%. For the 2010s went down again to 40% and in the 2020s went from 30% to 0%.

Now 60% is in Free League and the rest to Green Ronin, Mongoose and Talsorian.

JEB

Legend
Planescape was my last purchase, since I didn't detect any significant backlash from established fans of the setting. Skipped the Phandelver remake. Not really that enthusiastic about any of the upcoming products, but will continue to buy 5E products on a case-by-case basis until the new core rules come out, at which point I will likely be done. (My attitude has shifted quite a bit in this regard since 2020, when I would have been considered a "whale" who happily bought every 5E book and then some.)

Zardnaar

Legend
Planescape was my last purchase, since I didn't detect any significant backlash from established fans of the setting. Skipped the Phandelver remake. Not really that enthusiastic about any of the upcoming products, but will continue to buy 5E products on a case-by-case basis until the new core rules come out, at which point I will likely be done. (My attitude has shifted quite a bit in this regard since 2020, when I would have been considered a "whale" who happily bought every 5E book and then some.)

I was a whale until about 2021. Post Tasha basically.

The most recent release I purchased was the Planescape set, but since then I've picked up Bigby's Glory of the Giants as I finally found a copy in store after months of looking. The Bigby's book really impressed me, I wasn't expecting it to be as good as it was.

Jasperak

Adventurer
I bought the core rule books when they came out from my FLGS. I also bought the first two starter box-sets, but not sure when those came out. Although today I bought the Dragonlance board game from Ollie's Discount for $9.99. Does that count?

The Soloist

Adventurer
I bought the core rule books when they came out from my FLGS. I also bought the first two starter box-sets, but not sure when those came out. Although today I bought the Dragonlance board game from Ollie's Discount for $9.99. Does that count?
Not sure. That price is very low. WoTC probably lost money but gained space in their warehouse.

Last edited:

delericho

Legend
5e was the revised "Starter Set", late last year. About a minute ago - I've just spotted that Amazon UK have the new Phandelver book at 39% off, which is low enough for me to give it a go.

I've bought a number of 2nd Ed "Spelljammer" and "Dark Sun" PDFs this year.

I'm not boycotting them, but I have no current plans to buy any 5e books. The revised core books are a 'maybe', but at this point probably not. (If they made them available in PDF, they'd be an auto-buy, but they're not doing that. Which is entirely their prerogative, but other electronic formats are of no use to me.) I do plan to buy up the rest of the "Dark Sun" line in PDF.

Last edited:

I bought Monsters of the Multiverse this year, but I haven't really used it, so slightly regret it.

I was planning on buying Planescape but the amazing combo of wildly expensive + not actually having much in it (like, not even Bariaurs? Come on...) put me off.

Up until 2021 I'd bought almost every sourcebook (just skipping the Rick & Morty and Penny Arcade ones), but since then it's been like, it's not that the concepts/themes for most of the books are bad, but the way they've executed them, I don't want them. The exception re: concepts/themes was the Dragon and Giant books, I didn't inherently like those and the execution didn't change that. Settings have been downhill in quality and price/value since Theros. VRGtR, Spelljammer, and Planescape all suffered from just not enough actual "setting books" content, with VRGtR trying to do too much with too little space, Spelljammer just failing profoundly at being a setting book at all, and Planescape less bad but still missing stuff that seems like it would both be basic and very easy to do. Strixhaven and Dragonlance were adventures with a bit of setting on the side - and not even good as adventures (I can tell from critical reviews that Dragonlance would wind me and my main group up - again a pity, I was intending to get and run it).

I don't generally buy adventures, but WotC managed to really do an amazing job by screwing up the two times recently I was seriously considering it due to laziness - Dragonlance and The Shattered Obelisk.

The last time I bought an rp book, it was the 3.5 PHB. I find, with digital resources and the fact that I don’t often DM, I don’t need to buy any of the materials. I just borrow a book, make a character and then don’t need copies of books (physical or digital). So that puts me in the ‘never’ category, I think.

Remove ads