• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E When do you think the revised fighter will be released?

CapnZapp

Legend
What the others said. On the other hand, I wouldn’t be surprised if we end up seeing an expansion of the maneuver list — similar to how the Warlockks invocations have been looked at in UA — over time (the list of EK spells expanding over time as the Wizard spell list grows larger) and more new feats that the Fighter’s list of ASIs can better take advantage of.
That's entirely possible.

But now we're talking expansion, not revision 😊

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

CapnZapp

Legend
As people have noted, the Fighter isn't "weak" by most definitions. What are the issues that you were having with it?

Often when people are finding Fighters weak, it turns out that their group's playstyle involves only a few, big fights a day. That sequence is going to push the power of the long-rest classes like most spellcasters up, and push the short-rest-based classes like Fighter down.
In the single-digit levels, Fighters easily hold their own compared to casters (my personal experience can only attest to Warlocks, Bards, Clerics but I would be surprised if this was different with Wizards and Druids).

In fact, just recently our Wizard died and was replaced by a Barbarian. At level 4 that's a huge difference. Long term, of course, it might not be so good...

And I have rather powergaming players.

In short, the old D&D adage is still true. Wizards need their stupid meatshield friends just as much as always... ☺

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
Reply to OP.

Fighters don't need a revision.
The guy playing as an Eldritch Knight in the main DM's campaign might not have hit the hardest (he never took any of the SCAG cantrips), but he was practically unhittable . . . To the point where he eventually stopped wearing armor because he wanted a challenge.
When the DM openly declares to the party that he's not even gonna try to take a swipe at your character except on a natural 20 because that's the only time he'll be able to land a hit on you, you know you've got a powerful character.

Stalker0

Legend
I think the Champion Fighter might be weak but the Battlemaster looks solid. That said, I do think the paladin is really really good in comparison. They just have the whole package, good offense, good defense, great saves, charisma for roleplaying, can heal themselves well, have their own horse whenever they need it. The paladin is a much more self-sufficient class than the fighter.

The last two Septembers have had a "revised ranger", and it doesn't look like the "official" version will come out until sometime after XGtE, so in the best case scenario, in which the December UA is "we have added the revised ranger to the basic rules", that would mean "revising" took a couple of years. So even if the fighter is up for revision (which is a big if), there is no reason to believe an "official" revised fighter would be available before 2020.

Remove ads