Votes: 24 19.7%
  • Age of Worms

Votes: 64 52.5%
  • Savage Tide

Votes: 34 27.9%

• Poll closed .

BlackMoria

First Post
The jury is still out for The Savage Tide. I really like what I see so far (I only have up to Here There Be Monsters) but the rest of the adventure path could go in a direction that may change that intial assessment.

Age of Worms gets my vote. I like the epic feel and imagery of it better than Shackled City.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Psion said:
They are doing some really cool stuff with Savage Tides, but my patience for demonic/godly bossfights as a capstone is wearing thin.
Psion said:
Just admit it, you wish they'd fight Orcus more than some nameless guy. ;) That or you just want to have more Scarred Lands fun. :p :)

Psion said:
I may revise my vote after I see how they handle the endgame for the series, but as of now, I'll say shackled city.

SC? You are truly weirder than I though Psion. But eh.

*will agree to reserve some judgment on ST after it ends*

Zombie pirates? I up that ante with Spawn of Kyuss any day.

Steel_Wind

Legend
Age of Worms is the best-detailed full campaign currently available for D&D. I've been running it for the past 16 months.

I ran my last session three days ago - and I can't wait to run it again.

My love for AoW does not mean I am not enjoying reading Savage Tide or that I do not appreciate some really cool things it tries to do. I got the player's guide at Gencon and that's a really neat product too. The support in the pages of Dragon (as they did for AoW) is really great.

Still, the overall plot arc does not grab me the same way AoW did. I think that can be chalked up to flavor. YMMV.

Plus, Whispering Cairn is one of the finest introductory adventures ever published in Dungeon.

As for Shackled City...it's a fine campaign, but it lacks the polish and all the extras and expanded support that AoW got and that Savage Tide is now receiving. It's a good product - but AoW and Savage Tide are better products.

The entire Adventure Path publishing concept is an evolutionary process where the editing staff at Dungeon has incrementally improved and corrected many of the mistakes they made with Shackled City.

Whether Savage Tide ends up better than AoW remains to be seen, but I don't think there is any question that AoW is a better product than Shackled City. That assessment is not one based upon flavor - but upon the objective quality of the writing, planning and the value provided in all of the extras that come with AoW - and are not present in Shackled City.

Last edited:

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Steel,

Agreed the over-all plot of AoW is more to my liking than ST. Doesn't mean I'm not cheering for the overall demise of
Demogorgon
since it will mean my favorite
demon prince
might just step up to it.

At least I hope so! :)

Agamon

Adventurer
Having played the 1st 3 adventures in SC, DMed the 1st 4 in AoW, and played the 1st 2 in ST, I'm not sure if my opinion counts for much, but I think AoW is a bit better then ST, which is quite a bit better than SC.

Pants

First Post
Age of Worms, IMO, READS much better than Savage Tide, although, my opinion may change when ST is finished.

I'm not sure that I'll ever run AoW, but damn if parts of it don't make me really want to! An assault on a city of giants? A gladiatorial match? A fight against THE dracolich and one of the finest introductory adventures ever? Yeah, AoW grabbed me a lot more than ST has so far, but still, ST is very good.

Never really got into SC.

Pants said:
Age of Worms, IMO, READS much better than Savage Tide, although, my opinion may change when ST is finished.

Really? I didn't go too far into AoW--I'm still hoping to play in it some day--but comparing the parts of each that I've read, I've found ST more fun to read.

AoW inspired me to want to play in it. ST is inspiring me to want to run it. (For whatever that's worth.)

DragonLancer

Adventurer
I'm running Shackled City at the moment, but I think Age of Worms is the best of the three thus far. It reads a lot better and reads to me as one of those campaigns that will be talked about for years to come by those who played and survived it.

Pants

First Post
Mouseferatu said:
Really? I didn't go too far into AoW--I'm still hoping to play in it some day--but comparing the parts of each that I've read, I've found ST more fun to read.
Yeah, I dunno, "Whispering Cairn" was just a really cool module, dripping with hints of ancient history, hidden malevolence, and, overall, the promise of epic adventures to come.

"There is No Honor" I guess, just didn't grab me as much, though the zombie pirate part is great. I do like that it seems as if ST will have some recurring NPC's and (gasp) maybe even a recurring villain, but I really looked forward to reading AoW every month, but with ST I just feel like 'hey, a guaranteed cool adventure, what else does the issue have?'

Remove ads