• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which D&D edition do you *really* prefer?

1e for modules
2e for settinxg
3x for playing low level characters and options
4e for running as a dm

Fantasy punk, a modified cp2020, if I can ever find that sm and steal the rules.

Weg for star wars

Fasa for Aliens!

Elements of magic: revised for spells.

Ken Hoods skills and feats monk

Sean Reynolds lycanthropes via Blood of the Moon...

So I guess house ruled is my favorite!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

innerdude

Legend
Six months ago I would have said Pathfinder, hands down.

Now?

My gaming group would have to literally beg me on bended knees to run Pathfinder again over Fantasy Craft--assuming they can manage to talk me away from Savage Worlds in the first place.

I doubt I'll GM a true TSR / WotC D&D derivative for a long, long time. And barring the gaming community universally declaring 5e to be the greatest RPG of the decade, I'll probably skip it entirely.

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
Depends on my mood, the people I play with and the time of the day. :)

RC for the quick teaser game with non-RPGers. Most of the D&D paradigms are there, but few rules can get in the way of roleplaying.

1e in order to re-live the sense of wonder and weirdness and make clear how pampered PCs are nowadays.

2e in order to play with my children; I have lots of 2e books in German flying around.

4e in order to experience interesting show-piece combats with computer support and well defined interaction of rules elements.

4e because I just started in an online 4e game as a player! :)

3.x/PF? Not so much. But if a DM would invite me to a Pathfinder AP I'd jump to the occasion regardless of the system used.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I have to say I'm truly surprised at the amount of love for 2e in here - I thought it had become the edition that time forgot (well, except for the settings).

Lanefan

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
An extremely modified version of d20 Modern with elements of Star Wars Saga, set in a world of a blend of 2e/3e/4e flavor.

Orius

Legend
I have to say I'm truly surprised at the amount of love for 2e in here - I thought it had become the edition that time forgot (well, except for the settings).

Aren't the differences between 1e and 2e very minor though? I'm not terribly familiar with the 1e rules, but what I've seen of them aren't much different than what's in 2e. The two rule sets are pretty compatible with each other, and 2e's rules are usually thought to be better organized at least in the core books (though thd 1e DMG is still considered superior).

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
Aren't the differences between 1e and 2e very minor though? I'm not terribly familiar with the 1e rules, but what I've seen of them aren't much different than what's in 2e. The two rule sets are pretty compatible with each other, and 2e's rules are usually thought to be better organized at least in the core books (though thd 1e DMG is still considered superior).

That's my general take on it. There are over 100 rule changes, but many are fairly minor in the details. They are highly compatible.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
They're compatible enough that I never ran or participated in a pure 2Ed game- for its entire run, we hybridized it with AD&D.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads