• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which D&D edition do you *really* prefer?

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
They're compatible enough that I never ran or participated in a pure 2Ed game- for its entire run, we hybridized it with AD&D.

Ours were mostly hybridized as well considering we had 1e characters in it we didn't want (or really need) to covert, like a barbarian and a couple of rangers.

hemera

Explorer
Pathfinder for me, but 3.5 was good too. 4e is nice, but after playing Amethyst for awhile, and then looking over Ultramodern 4 I kind of thought to myself huh 4e is nice but it seems more geared for modernish things. At least that's what my group's take is.

Personally, I don't mind 4e that much, as at least I can be a bard and heal people without a stack of wands, or a paladin without being lawful good. But I still prefer Pathfinder for the ability to customize my character to my liking.

And it has a gunslinger class. ^.^

Ratskinner

Adventurer
Well this is a tough question.

I would say that the best all-out fun I had was running 2e. However, I couldn't stand to think about running it now without houseruling it to the point where its Castles & Crusades or something.

I also had a lot of fun with 3e. Unfortunately, after a while the mechanical weight and "homework" that went along with creating unique villains and critters began to grind me away.

4e fixed that, but went and locked the feel in pretty tightly, and I often DM offroad, so to speak. Very difficult to significantly houserule it, IMHO. That being said, I had plenty of fun running 4e until my group split up over it.

I honestly couldn't pick one. 2e has a great flexibility, but a bucket of weird mechanics. 3e had simple mechanics, but buckets of feats and spells and skill points to wade through for every stinking NPC. 4e had easy-peasy DMing, but kinda locked you in flavor/playstyle-wise.

So far, anyway, I've really liked what I've seen from 5e. So I'm very hopeful that it will actually be great for me. I find some of the comments on monsters worrying, and other encouraging. So there's still plenty of room for them to screw it up. :)

lutecius

Explorer
3.5 with Unearthed Arcana's "spellpoints" and "armor as damage reduction" optional rules and a bunch of minor tweaks (mostly to races, classes and campaign related stuff).

Nellisir

Hero
Somewhere between 2e and 3e. I houseruled huge amounts of 2e, and 3e was a relief, but eventually the mechanics became overwhelming. I wouldn't want to play either "out-of-the-box" now.

2e was undoubtably the high point in setting material, though, and I do miss that sort of material immensely.

Nyronus

First Post
Favorite of all time? The one I've been writing for months that combines the 5e flat math, 4e Heroic tone and rules concepts, 3e tactical minutia and simulation, and older edition hard metaphysics surrounding my own lore. :)

As for published... eh. I've played 2e, 3.5, and 4e, and, with the right (or wrong) DM each one has been pretty fun (or utterly boring). Every game is playable certainly, but I don't think I'd want to run 2e ever, and if I ever ran 3.5, I would definitely adopt a 4e school for monster preping, i.e., simplification and reflavoring, lest my head explode, and I would never want to try and run a high level game against a high-level Batman spellcaster. It would not be worth the effort.

I guess overall, my favorite edition is 4th. It gets a lot of flak, but its a surprisingly flexible system when, you know, you give it a chance, more or less until high paragon, and only really gets narrow in epic, where you basically have to throw absurd set-piece epic combats to challenge your team, all of whom are basically super-heroes.

Also: am I the only one who likes the 4e Points of Light lore? A lot of stuff has been said about 2e Realms and Planescape, but I am rather fond of PoLand. Its a great fantasy and horror setting ripe for adventure and conflict, and the Demonomicon pretty much cemented the 4e Abyss as a permanent fixture in my mind for both demonic lore and lovecraftian horror.

Last edited:

Also: am I the only one who likes the 4e Points of Light lore? A lot of stuff has been said about 2e Realms and Planescape, but I am rather fond of PoLand. Its a great fantasy and horror setting ripe for adventure and conflict, and the Demonomicon pretty much cemented the 4e Abyss as a permanent fixture in my mind for both demonic lore and lovecraftian horror.

I think Points of Light would be an excellent addition to 5e as a fully-fleshed out campaign setting. (Along with all the 2e beauties brought back into a unified cosmology.)

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
I love PoLand. Not specifically the Nentir Vale or any of the published details. But the whole heroes-in-a-wilderness-of-horror theme? Heck yeah! I pretty much based my homebrew on it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads