• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which edition would best fit my playing style?

What edition of D&D would best fit my playing style?

• OD&D (or a clone thereof)

Votes: 24 19.0%
  • AD&D 1E (or a clone thereof)

Votes: 15 11.9%
  • AD&D 2E (or a clone thereof)

Votes: 13 10.3%
  • D&D 3.0E

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • D&D 3.5E

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • D&D 4E

Votes: 34 27.0%
  • Microlight D20 (M20)

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 24 19.0%

JeffB

Legend
It's a joke. The author is pretty clear on this and isn't pretending to have actual written the first RPG.

It is an intentional "what-if" thought-experiment - look here for a full explanation. It does not intend in any way to rewrite the real history of gaming, but rather to explore how things could have been if D&D would have started as an Ancient World game rather than a Tolkienesque/medieval one.

It is also full of tongue-in-cheek humor concerning our hobby - up to and including fake fan-wars and a spoof of "Dark Dungeons"... :D

But regardless of this, it seems like a very good game all by itself.

Thanks for the clarification :) I did not realize that it was intended to be a "what if" scenario. And yes, it does look like a neat game.

Calico_Jack73

First Post
Personally I'd go with Palladium FRPG. There is very little if anything in the books that you'd need to reference during a game. It doesn't pretend to be balanced... play the class and race that you want, just don't bitch that the Wolfen Knight is more powerful than your Goblin Vagabond. The alignment system is much preferable to the D&D system and the experience system grants awards to using skills and having ideas whether or not you are actually successful with them. By Palladium's RAW there aren't many modifications that need to be taken into account during combat which speed things up and allow for GM rulings.

Obryn

Hero
I'm going to buck the trend here. Personally, I'd definitely encourage you to look at OSRIC, C&C, and 4e.

With that said, I'd like to encourage you to look at Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, 2e.

1) I like to play fast, rules-light, with as little book referencing during gameplay as possible, and with some level of improvisation. I like simple game mechanics that I could easily learn by heart and thus avoid excessive page-thumbing during the game.
Yes, absolutely. You will seldom need to reference the book, except maybe during prep time to figure out what the heck a certain Trait is.

2) I like to best utilize my prep time, which is becoming more and more limited as I grow up.
Prep is pretty simple, I'd say, but there are literally dozens of free adventures available online.

3) I usually DM for a relatively small group of 1-3 players.
It'll work fine for this.

4) I usually play Core-centric games with minimal use of additional books.
You can get a very satisfying WFRP game with the core book and Old World Bestiary. Everything else is expansion. I've bought a lot of them, and if I were to recommend other books, they'd be Tome of Salvation, Tome of Corruption, and ... the magic book, whatever it's called. :) Still, none of these are anywhere near essential.

5) My settings usually have a low-to-moderate magic level.
Heck yeah. Magic is dangerous. Magic items exist, but are very, very rare. And, many are tainted by Chaos!

6) I like to use magic, character powers, and monster powers both in and out of combat. Me and my players also like cool "non-combat" spells/powers that could be used in creative ways both outside and in combat.
Oh, absolutely. By definition, most skills and traits have non-combat applications. Spells, too, if you happen to have a caster around.

7) I don't mind some boardgame elements in my games, as well as moderately complex combat (up to and including some use counters/minis), but I don't think I'll go to an extreme in this part of the game (that is, I don't think I'll like using extremely detailed tactical gameplay).
It's as board-gamey as you want to make it. You can run combats with minis & grids, or you can run combats just in mind-space with few difficulties.

8) I'm not very concerned with game balance, as long as I could create (or even eyeball) more or less fair encounters. I (and my players) also prefer to let the characters grow organically rather than be planned ahead. There is also an element of "casual gaming" (read: bothersome RL constrains) that means that we'll be unlikely to reach truly high levels of rule mastery.
You're fine here. It's easy to figure out how tough something is by looking at its Weapon Skill, damage, toughness armor, and wounds.

9) I like varied, weird and interesting classes, races and monsters. I don't mind really weird ones. I also like to have some freedom in race/class combinations.
Weird and interesting classes? How's Rat Catchers, Vagabonds, Troll Slayers, Hedge Wizards, Grave Robbers, etc. strike you? Seriously, there's 30+ Basic Careers, and a similar number of Advanced Careers.

On the other hand, there's only 4 races, unless you go insane and run a Skaven or Chaos campaign. The combinations are pretty freeform, though.

10) I like a certain degree of world-building, but in D&D it doesn't have to be a very accurate simulation of reality.
Well, WFRP2 has the Empire, which is pretty darn comprehensive. IMHO, it's quite tied to the setting's default assumptions, which may turn you off. I've never been interested in trying to re-skin the setting, so I can't say how tough it'd seem...

11) I'm slowly moving from using die rolls for various dungeon activities (i.e. searching for traps/secrets, dealing with puzzles etc) towards a more narrative style of DMing.
There's skills for investigation, and it's less free-form than 1e/2e. Still, you should do just fine with narrative exploration.

12) I like both dungeons, wilderness exploration, and social/political role-playing.
Yes, yes, yes. WFRP2 is actually very well-suited to low-combat games, with its robust skill & talent system.

-O

Shades of Green

First Post
4E is off my list for the time being due to cost considerations. With GURPS I have my problems (and its seems a bit rules-heavy to me), but thanks for suggesting it anyway.

I'm leaning towards 2E or BFRPG, but I'm still open to other possibilities.

So far, the possible options seem to me (not in order of preference):

1) D&D 2E (for which I already have the core-books) with a few house-rules and with the Book of Humanoids.

2) BFRPG, which is similar to 1E/2E but with some 3E-inspired streamlining; ordering it from LULU in hardcopy isn't that expensive and it shows promise.

3) Mazes and Minotaurs, though this would work best with a Greek, Roman (or a fantasy version of bronze/iron age Canaan) rather than with traditional fantasy. The downside of this means that I'll have to print it by myself (which isn't THAT expensive but IS time-consuming).

4) Savage Worlds. I'm not very familiar with that system but I'll read the free "test drive" PDF soon enough. It is also pretty cheap.

5) Castles & Crusades, with which I'm not familiar; many people seemed to think that this fits me best so this is an option. This is also a bit expensive but if I could get the Boxed Set from Troll Lord Games, this will only cost me half of what 4E would.

6) OSRIC, which is another clone of AD&D 1E; I don't know if I could get it printed by LULU, otherwise it'll mean printing it myself.

7) Labyrinth Lord, another OD&D/1E clone available from LULU, a little bit more expensive than BFRPG but also an option.

8) FUDGE, which is a very cute RPG toolkit. Its main downside is the need to build your actual system out of its "building blocks".

9) Warhammer Fantasy RPG with which I'm not familiar at all, but was recommended to me. It is quite expensive (39.95$ for the corebook not including shipping).

Any more input would be very welcome!

EDIT: A little clarification - when I said I want a low-to-moderate magic level I meant that I want less dominant magic than in 3.xE, and no "Christmas tree effect"/"Everything's Magical and got powers". I still want a heroic fantasy game with considerable magic, just not a world over-saturated with magic (as is implied by 3E). If I wanted a truly low-magic gritty game I'd use a fantasy adaptation of the Mongoose Traveller SRD/OGL rules, which in fact I did put some work into.

Last edited:

Thanee

First Post

Allister

First Post
EDIT: A little clarification - when I said I want a low-to-moderate magic level I meant that I want less dominant magic than in 3.xE, and no "Christmas tree effect"/"Everything's Magical and got powers". I still want a heroic fantasy game with considerable magic, just not a world over-saturated with magic (as is implied by 3E). If I wanted a truly low-magic gritty game I'd use a fantasy adaptation of the Mongoose Traveller SRD/OGL rules, which in fact I did put some work into.

This I don't know is possible.

You want a game with considerable magic yet the players don't have either "the Xmas tree effect" OR "Everyone's got powers"?

jenskot

First Post
I would say Savage Worlds or Castles & Crusades. 4E could also do it if you streamline combat. Maybe end combats soon after creatures are bloodied. And let players interpert their powers in creative non combat ways outside of combat. The warlord could use his powers to give players bonuses to social situations rather than pluses to hit for example.

Aus_Snow

First Post
This I don't know is possible.

You want a game with considerable magic yet the players don't have either "the Xmas tree effect" OR "Everyone's got powers"?
Sounds pretty simple to me: Not every character type (e.g., class) has access to 'powers' or whatever, magic items are not a dime a dozen (or required for 'effective' / 'balanced' characters), and some character types (e.g., classes) provide the ability to use powerful magic / significant 'powers'.

AllisterH

First Post
Sounds pretty simple to me: Not every character type (e.g., class) has access to 'powers' or whatever, magic items are not a dime a dozen (or required for 'effective' / 'balanced' characters), and some character types (e.g., classes) provide the ability to use powerful magic / significant 'powers'.

Then no version of D&D suits the OP IMO.

Strip a 20th level martial class in 1e/2e/3e of his gear and see how "effective" he is. I think people might be forgetting how gear dependent even a 1e/2e fighter was...

Hell, the 10th level version probably could stomp the 20th level version into the ground...

No version of D&D I know of has a class that didn't have powers but also forego magic items.

Shades of Green

First Post
Yes, that is what I've meant. Thank for clearing up my thoughts! :)

Last edited:

Remove ads