Which franchise of three or more works has the highest ratio of hits to misses?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I love the Alien franchise, but its batting average is not great. What geek franchise has the best track record overall (independent of how high the highs are or how low the lows are)?

Yora

Legend
Alien is a strong contender. 2 great movies and who knows how much junk.

Terminator too, but I think that one does not have as many movies and spin-offs as Alien.

Alien is a strong contender. 2 great movies and who knows how much junk.

Terminator too, but I think that one does not have as many movies and spin-offs as Alien.
I think this is the wrong direction for OP's question. They're looking for best track record.

Honestly I don't know any movie series with 3+ where they cut themselves off after the good stuff. Almost all of them just can't stop themselves from adding more and more until the good-bad is at least under water.

For books, I would posit Chronicles of Prydain and Hitchhiker's Guide series -- both 5 book runs with at least 3 that were excellent and none that were truly bad.

Among long-runners, C. J. Cherryh's Foreigner series has a strong hit/miss ratio.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I love, love, love the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. The novels definitely take a dip with So Long and Thanks for All the Fish and really go downhill with Mostly Harmless, given that Adams actively resented having to write each book. But the overall quality of the franchise, including radio, books, Infocom game, stage plays, etc., is extremely high. That might be cheating since so much of it is just remixing the stories from the radio, though, even if each version adds new stuff.

MatthewJHanson

Registered Ninja
Publisher
Vorkosigan Saga
I think novel series will probably fair best, since many of them are 100% good.

I agree with Vorkosigan.

A few other series I can think of off the top of my head include:

Cosemere
Temeraire
Ancillary
Expanse

I'm sure there's a lot more novel series that are at 100%

Remove ads