• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which race do you HATE to play?

The most annoying race?

• Dwarves -- haven't we had enough of bad Scottish accents?

Votes: 31 9.9%
  • Elves -- these supercilious tree-huggers need to have their long lifespans shortened.

Votes: 59 18.9%
  • Gnomes -- they belong in my garden, not in my game.

Votes: 104 33.3%
  • Half-elves -- the worst of both worlds. And boring to boot.

Votes: 37 11.9%
  • Half-orcs -- their grunting grates. And the breath!

Votes: 40 12.8%
  • Halflings -- if we could just call them "Hobbits" they would be okay.

Votes: 33 10.6%
  • Humans -- I play one in real life, why play one in a game?

Votes: 8 2.6%

Ashanderai

Explorer
And what is the point of playing DnD if you don't get to live to be at least over 150 years old?

Human or not, my characters NEVER live that long; even the couple I got to retire. Cursed DMs have always gotta go out with a big bang that takes out everything.

Last edited:

Testament

First Post
Afrodyte said:
Regardless of what one may think of Disney, "Gargoyles" (at least, prior to the episodes featuring the Quarrymen) was quite decent and IMO managed to bring out what was inhuman about gargoyles (their more instinctive nature) while still making them human enough to relate to.

That's the best idea I've ever heard of. :) Hats off to this man.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
I voted elves. They bug me. They're just too perfect, always, no matter what. At least in Dark Sun and Eberron they're interesting, but as D&D stands, they're just plain obnoxious.

I really don't get all the gnome-hatred. I can stand mad inventor gnomes, more pastoral, Races of Stone gnomes, and Machiavelliean, Eberron gnomes. But why do some people hate them all with such passion? Because of Dragonlance's turning them into comic relief? Because many settings just take them for granted and not give them cultural identity? Because of tragic gardening accidents as children? I've even known a player who, rather than be reincarnated as a gnome, killed himself again. It's a bit disturbing how much hate the little anklebiters get.

Maybe it's because they can be called little anklebiters.

Demiurge out.

Alloran

First Post
I like gnomes. ::shrug:: besides. They're fun if you do it right. :D

The race I really don't like is Dwarves. I've seen too many bad sterotypes played that I don't really believe there's anything but out there. Besides, Lawful societies just don't sit right with me. But don't let the government know that. :uhoh:

~Alloran

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Do you think their is a correlation between Gnome Love and Elf hate?

(I just noted a tendency for it in the above discussion) and I know that personally I am a Gnome-loving, Elf-hater.

Gnome druids are the absolute greatest race to play
whereas Elfs bite the biggo!

Dark Jezter

First Post
Tonguez said:
Do you think their is a correlation between Gnome Love and Elf hate?

(I just noted a tendency for it in the above discussion) and I know that personally I am a Gnome-loving, Elf-hater.

Gnome druids are the absolute greatest race to play
whereas Elfs bite the biggo!

Interesting theory. I, too, am an elf-hating gnome-lover.

Last edited:

Scarbonac

Not An Evil Twin
I can't say that I hate any race; I've played humans, half-elves, half-orcs, kobolds, hobgoblins, elves (High, Grey and Wood), dwarves, halflings (1e-2e hobbity types), a tabaxi and a Mul, and they've all been enjoyable role-playing experiences.

Never played a gnome, though; I'd have played a Tinker except that they made them suck with a capital SUCK. What's the good of playing an inventor/gadgeteer character if most of your inventions catch fire and blow up (even underwater)?

Grishnak

First Post
I hate dwarves!! They really do suck, they've been given the world and still they hide away in the festering pits. Come on ye Balrog and kill the rest of the verminous runts and their bearded women!!!

Roman

First Post
Frukathka said:
I hate both Gnomes and Halflings with a passion. But if I had to choose just one it would be the Halflings. Neither have any place in my homebrew, and no amount of magic will change that.

Ha, ha, this is almost exactly the same with me. I too dislike Gnomes and Halflings and they do not exist in my homebrew, but I dislike Gnomes even more than Halflings.

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
I chose elves. I don't like Tolkienesque fantasy, and that's what standard D&D elves have always been about. Eberron's treatment is much more interesting, and I applaud the Eberron team for breaking away from the stereotypes.

My second choice would be halflings. I disliked them when they were hobbits and I dislike them now that they're faux-kender.

Yet ironically, I will be buying Races of the Wild. Meh.

I prefer to play humans, because I also despise using race as a crutch for personality.

Remove ads