• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Whirtlestaff's Wizards' Academy Revisited, OOC01

Leif

Adventurer
Scotley said:
Whoa, sorry, transfering the data into excel from the book was a mistake. Excel saw the numbers in the book 1-1/2 not as 1 and 1/2, but 1 minus 1/2 or .5. I'll have to fix the table to match the book. Should have checked it.
As to the rule, while it is in a 'non-core' book that particular usage has fallen into common practice and I didn't even consider what book it was originally found in as I calculated the numbers. Anyway, in future I shall exercise more care in securing permission for rules use.
"Common usage?" By whose standards? This is the first I've ever heard of the rule. I don't think you could have known about it for too awfully long, or else you would have told me about it before, right? Damn, son, keeping secrets from your co-DM? Shame on you.

Anyway, when you get the table fixed, email it to me, please? I'll look for UA this evening after work, but I'm not entirely sure that I'll be able to find it. I think I remember seeing it available at Books-A-Million the last time I was there.......<shrug> I needed a reason to spend some money for DnD this week, anyway.

Scotley

Hero
Leif said:
Everyone needs to adjust his character -- New rule is that all pcs get MAX hp for all hit dice.

Whoo Hoo! Thank you sir!

The fractional bonuses table above has now been corrected so that it matches the progression in the book. Sorry for the confusion.

Scotley

Hero
renau1g said:
My thoughts exactly, I didn't want to clutter the IC, but I didn't want to just say ok Scotley I'll just grab a couple of your characters spells.

By all means Tylara will share, but don't start picking yet. That list she has now represents a post full party sharing in a previous running of the character. I plan to have the correct and sadly much shorter version of her spell book up tonight. I don't plan on changing the memorized spells, so they should all be in the new book if you want to give those a look-see.

Leif

Adventurer
Scotley said:
Whoo Hoo! Thank you sir!

The fractional bonuses table above has now been corrected so that it matches the progression in the book. Sorry for the confusion.

Don't thank me yet, it just means that the monsters will do lots more damage! :]

And I was downloading the table, thinking that I would need to change it once I did so, but by the time I dowloaded it, you had already made the correction.

Scotley

Hero
Leif said:
Don't thank me yet, it just means that the monsters will do lots more damage! :]

And I was downloading the table, thinking that I would need to change it once I did so, but by the time I dowloaded it, you had already made the correction.

I hope not too many more. I only got like 5 extra Hit Points out of the deal!

Leif

Adventurer
Scotley said:
I hope not too many more. I only got like 5 extra Hit Points out of the deal!
Heyy, something else that this change will affect: Now, there's no reason to take your level of druid as First level, since ALL levels get max hp now. But I guess it will affect skills some. Don't druids get a few more points than wizards? So you'd still be better off taking the druid level as 1st level for the increased skill points.

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
I've never heard of the fractional bonus table either, but I'm perfectly willing to give it a try if that suits our esteemed DM - it really doesn't make sense that taking a level in a class better suited to combat would penalize one's BAB . . . unless of course you were ruling that spreading your talents and practice across multiple classes in some instances caused you to be less effective in both.

Even so, I say bring on the fractions!

Leif

Adventurer
Mowgli said:
I've never heard of the fractional bonus table either, but I'm perfectly willing to give it a try if that suits our esteemed DM - it really doesn't make sense that taking a level in a class better suited to combat would penalize one's BAB . . . unless of course you were ruling that spreading your talents and practice across multiple classes in some instances caused you to be less effective in both.
Even so, I say bring on the fractions!
Okay, that's two votes for the change, none against, and one neutral (me).

And NO, I'm not ruling in the way that you describe. Characters are not Peanut Butter: they can't be spread too thin in that way.

Scotley

Hero
Leif said:
Heyy, something else that this change will affect: Now, there's no reason to take your level of druid as First level, since ALL levels get max hp now. But I guess it will affect skills some. Don't druids get a few more points than wizards? So you'd still be better off taking the druid level as 1st level for the increased skill points.

Yes, there is some benefit in skill points (8) for making Druid the first level. More importantly, I thought it would make the most logical sense in Tylara's history as you'll see when I get it re-written. It was harder to explain why she would leave her wizardly studies, go play in the wood for a while and come back to wizardry. I'm going to play off the Druid thing as more of a teen rebelion against the parents who are both wizards. In the end of course she was much more suited to Wizardry than nature worship, so she ended up at Whirtlestaffs.

Remove ads