Why 5E may be the last edition of D&D

cmad1977

Hero
Have you seen the the rage about the whitewashing accusations from the Ghost in the Shell movies? The vitriol spewed at people who hated on Ghostbusters? Any comedian who made a racially "insentive" joke (but didn't say the n-word) or a mildly sexist joke? The incident that got the Roseanne reboot cancelled? Show dark-skinned people as the antagonists with any light-skinned people in a protagonist role and you invite seething hatred. Same with a woman (unless the protagonist is also a woman, then it is fine).

Personally, I'd rather they didn't have any drow in the D&D movie, mainly because I am not a fan of the race at all. Doesn't help all the Drizzt clones and edgelords basically ruined the race for me.

Woefully inaccurate.

D1Tremere

Adventurer
I'm extremely late on this conversation but I find at least in my area (Southern Vermont) DnD is the weakest it has been since the late eighties. Why Play DnD when you have computers, TV or phones.

DnD as we know it is ending. Or at least evolving into something new.

DnD editions ended with 3.5 for me and Pathfinder for the area I live in. NO ONE did 4th and few do 5th (none that I know but an occasional book does get sold or stolen.

Where I am from (Louisville, Ky) D&D is experiencing a golden era. We have organized adventure leagues and pick up one-shots at bars and clubs, along with conventions and gaming stores. A lot of new and young players are getting into 5E, watching streams of D&D on twitch, and organizing their own games. This seems to be centered around 5E, Critical Role (and other streams), and a move towards more narrative based campaigns. My anecdotal experience mirrors WotCs own statistics that show a growing player base under 30, and a split between those over 30 and those below with regards to how they use the material and what they want out of the game.
With technology becoming a bigger player at the table, and subscription based pricing for services like D&D Beyond or Fantasy Grounds, I see any new additions as likely coming in the form of digital updates and options.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
I'm extremely late on this conversation but I find at least in my area (Southern Vermont) DnD is the weakest it has been since the late eighties. Why Play DnD when you have computers, TV or phones.

DnD as we know it is ending. Or at least evolving into something new.

DnD editions ended with 3.5 for me and Pathfinder for the area I live in. NO ONE did 4th and few do 5th (none that I know but an occasional book does get sold or stolen.

Fortunately, yours is not the common experience and, instead, D&D is thriving.

I have tried PbP here several times, both as player and GM and it just never seems to work.

Besides, as a DM, I like that look players give when they realize how much trouble they are in.

Staffan

Legend
The obvious way to deal with D&D on screen:

1. TV series, not movie.
2. Don't base it on novels.
3. Ensemble cast.
4. Get John Rogers to do it.

Zardnaar

Legend
Fortunately, yours is not the common experience and, instead, D&D is thriving.

D&D/RPGs to me seem very regional. Some places have active D&D out of all proportion to their size, other place people don't even know what it is.

Lake Geneva for example is really tiny when D&D was born (its still small). It was more noticeable in the 4E days as some places were all 3.5/PF/4E.

I found 5E material at EB games the other week.

Remove ads