Why modern movies suck - they teach us awful lessons

BookTenTiger

He / Him
Star Trek has always been leading the curve with representation. As for "Discovery" I wasn't put off by the representation, but rather thought it was subjectively bad and didn't feel like Star Trek to me. Anyone else? Fill yer boots. IDIC is fine with me and if "Sense8" didn't put me off (I enjoyed the hell out of it), then nothing that Star Trek does in the same vein is going to.

I think that "The Orville" did a better job with the idea, without defaulting to the crew bonking aliens.
What do you mean by this, that the representation was subjectively bad?

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
That is hilarious. :)

I like TOS also, the interplay of the characters was great. What I find interesting as well, is that it probably had some more of the realistic combat scenes, as most of the guys were at least drafted, like Nimoy. Such as when they get attacked, first thing they do is take cover, instead of standing tall and shooting back, which is today the standard for Hollywood programs.

Great point about the combat!

One of the things I love about TOS is the way that it has aged. Because it was filmed on, well, film (THANK YOU DESILU!), and because of the strange sparseness of most of the sets, it's gone past the point of looking "dated" and now looks strangely timeless, like every episode is a play in some dream-like fantasy-scape.

It really puts the story front & center.

Great point about the combat!

One of the things I love about TOS is the way that it has aged. Because it was filmed on, well, film (THANK YOU DESILU!), and because of the strange sparseness of most of the sets, it's gone past the point of looking "dated" and now looks strangely timeless, like every episode is a play in some dream-like fantasy-scape.

It really puts the story front & center.
This is one of the reasons I like old Shaw brothers movies shot on sets. Something like the one armed swordsman feels timeless and a little like a stage production as a result

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
He was an amazing villain in I, Claudius

SIR Patrick Stewart is good in everything, and only he could make adjusting your unitard Star Fleet uniform look debonair and authoritative.

Vd5Ozp.gif

Ryujin

Legend
That is hilarious. :)

I like TOS also, the interplay of the characters was great. What I find interesting as well, is that it probably had some more of the realistic combat scenes, as most of the guys were at least drafted, like Nimoy. Such as when they get attacked, first thing they do is take cover, instead of standing tall and shooting back, which is today the standard for Hollywood programs.
It was a bit of a shock to the system seeing Spock in reruns of "Combat!", in the late '60s :ROFLMAO:

Remove ads