• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

why orc pc?

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Satori said:
This is why people hate Drow PCs.

-The Drow are one of those "Taboo" races...like Mind Flayers.

I like taboos. They make those pretty bell-like noises when they break! :]

They are buried hundreds of miles below the earth, indoctrinated to be as evil as possible, kept under the perpetual thumb of an extremely evil Demon Queen (now with God status)

Now? Where have you been the last - what's it, 10 years? :p

and given stats that make them nearly unplayable.

That nearly is as near as Florida to Moscow :p Played several. They weren't unplayable. They were perfectly able to pull their own weight.

He took a purposefully (in my opinion) unplayable race

Probably. Not any more, though. And he should be considered a saint for it. I'd say that a lot of the freedom that D&D grants you now is because of this case of a previously bad-guy only race appearing as a hero and becoming a great success.

ignored DnD stats

I wouldn't say ignored. Didn't treat the rules as the Holy Bible and making use of artistic license. Which is good and desirable.

In fact, he did such a good job that Drizzt is the poster boy for angsty, EMO, cry baby, tragically noble teenagers that happen to play DnD.

Or just for those who want their fighters to be more than "hulk smash thing".

The character is/was great. Something new. A welcome change from Str 18/00 Restdoesntmatter D&D fighter type that kills but doesn't speak because he's a fighter not a talker stereotype.

Now, the problem is that said "Drizzt Fanboys" can't seem to leave the archetype alone and come up with something original.

I'm still not buying this. The situation is likely being blown up way out of proportion. People make it sound like 90% of drow PCs out there are Drizzt Clones. I'd say they're less than 5%.

Redeemed Orc/Devil/YuanTi/Demon? Just as much evil, less statistical/geographical headache!

Oh no...it HAS to be a redeemed Dark Elf.

Of course!

Orcs are stupid, and many people are likely tired of the stupid killing machine stereotype.

Devils and Demons usually involve starting ECLs that put them way out of the average campaign's scope. Playable demons start at level 12 (succubus. I'm ignoring the Dretch because they're not exactly player character material, even though they have a level adjustment). Same level for bearded devils.

Yuan-ti could be an alternative, I give you that.

In other words, imagine an author who created a book based on a "Mineral Warrior Half-Demon Half-Dragon Vampiric Swan Princess"...the concept is so far out that it works in a novel...

...but not so much in a game with rules.

Yeah right. A LA +2 drow that is still very much like a human (and thus not too alien in mindset) is the very same as a LA +10 or something critter with half a dozen templates. :p

rossik

Explorer
Satori said:
He took a purposefully (in my opinion) unplayable race, ignored DnD stats, and made him sound really REALLY cool...

...in the "I'm an angsty teenager with a really cool appearance and all sorts of poor me tragedy...but I'm invincible, so high school bullies leave me alone."

In fact, he did such a good job that Drizzt is the poster boy for angsty, EMO, cry baby, tragically noble teenagers that happen to play DnD.

i agree in a certain way...

i think that 3ed edition ilustration have done the "In fact, he did such a good job that Drizzt is the poster boy for angsty, EMO, cry baby, tragically noble teenagers that happen to play DnD." part of your text.

remember the cover book of "the legacy", for instance?
there and in other covers drizzt look old, ugly, with a hair that looks a little like Fran from "The Nanny"....

why would u wanna be like that?;)

but the "manga-like" one..thats the one that tickle the fancy (...dont know if this is the right expression :\ "

pallandrome

First Post
My current favorite character IS an Orc PC. A cheerfully 4-color, Lawful Good Sorcerer/Dragon Disciple. He's really a people person.

EDIT: I also have plans for a Lawful Neutral Drow businessman. Adventuring for greater profit margins! He'll be perfectly polite, because even though these surface dwellers don't understant his cultures eccentricities, a good world traveller tries not to upset the locals too much. He'll also send gold home each month to his Matriarch like a good family-drow should.

Last edited:

Satori

First Post
Kae'Yoss said:
I like taboos. They make those pretty bell-like noises when they break! :]

-Sure, now a days NOTHING is sacred, like that Lawful Good Mind Flayer they have in "Book of Exalted Cheese". Drow are extremely common now, with dozens of source books...and nearly all races are playable, with built in PC stats in their MM write-up. This wasn't always the case, though, and I believe it has turned 3.x into a "Monster Mash", where the "Unusual" is now becoming the "Norm".

Now? Where have you been the last - what's it, 10 years? :p

-? I don't follow.

That nearly is as near as Florida to Moscow :p Played several. They weren't unplayable. They were perfectly able to pull their own weight.

-Hmm...I'm afraid I'd have disagree with you there. Currently, Drow are ECL +2...which puts then as nearly unplayable by "Normal Group" standards. You can't be a melee class, because your HP/BAB will suck something awful...you can't be a caster because you'll be 2 levels behind in spells...the best you could do is play a skill monkey, hope the unbalanced stats make up for 2 levels, and try not to get hit in combat. Now, this doesn't take into effect the numerous house rules most games install to make Drow playable (Lesser Drow, etc...). I'm not talking about that, but taking Drow straight from the box.

Probably. Not any more, though. And he should be considered a saint for it. I'd say that a lot of the freedom that D&D grants you now is because of this case of a previously bad-guy only race appearing as a hero and becoming a great success.

-Oh, I agree that Drizzt was a fantastic character. I loved reading his books when I was an angsty teenager (I also loved Vampire: The Masquerade...big shock, right?). I even went through a phase of Drow Fanboyism that I'm still trying to make amends for. As I grow older, though, I realize that the more fulfilling characters are "Ordinary" races that become "Extra-Ordinary" through background, roleplaying, and quirks.

I wouldn't say ignored. Didn't treat the rules as the Holy Bible and making use of artistic license. Which is good and desirable.

-Correct. Now, keep in mind that most DnD players DO use the rules as the "Holy Bible". I mean...you play a game, you follow the rules that make the game work. Hence, translating Drizzt "Uber-wuber-ness" to a Rules Environment doesn't always work, and creates an extremely frustrating situation when player expectations aren't met ("What? You mean I can't be as cool as Drizzt?"). While a lot of us House Rule the hell out of DnD (as is our right), our games are still governed by the basic format of DnD guidelines.

Or just for those who want their fighters to be more than "hulk smash thing".

The character is/was great. Something new. A welcome change from Str 18/00 Restdoesntmatter D&D fighter type that kills but doesn't speak because he's a fighter not a talker stereotype.

-Absolutely. He's yet another "Finesse over Brawn" archetype that makes us all want to play high dex, low str swashbucklers and dance around the battlefield with a rapier. I absolutely LOVE this archetype...and most people do as well. The fact that Tome of Battle made this archetype stand toe to toe with your stereotypical Half Orc Barbarian makes many of us wiggle like a Drizzt Fanboy when another Drow Sourcebook is released. But that is another thread...

...my point is that the "Finesse over Brawn" archetype isn't that unusual. You can find it in a lot of characters and a lot of novels. Drizzt IS a "Finesse over Brawn" archetype...but he isn't SOLELY that model...he just happens to fit into that model as well. Drizzt is "Unplayable Race X trying to a Good Guy", which is frustrating to many DMs who don't want the headache of statting out something like a "Lawful Good Half-Demon Grimlock Paladin".

I'm still not buying this. The situation is likely being blown up way out of proportion. People make it sound like 90% of drow PCs out there are Drizzt Clones. I'd say they're less than 5%.

-Naah, I'll concede this point. I've run into, oh, 3 Drizzt clones in my experience (not including myself about a decade ago). In fact, I even let them play Dark Elves...and one played a Dark Elf Ranger that dual wielded "Cutlasses"...HARDLY a scimitar, right? ;p I make a big stink about Drizzt on internet forums, but in all honesty I don't really care how someone finds DnD enjoyable. It's more a "personae" I adopt (The Drow Hating Snob), but in reality I don't think any race is taboo as long as a player wants to try it. In fact, I've statted up a Mud Man for a 2E game. Now THAT was a weird character.

Now a days, though, if I run a campaign...Drow aren't allowed unless it makes sense. Of course, it seems like I'm always trying to start a "War of the Spider Queen" campaign, so...

Of course!

Orcs are stupid, and many people are likely tired of the stupid killing machine stereotype.

Devils and Demons usually involve starting ECLs that put them way out of the average campaign's scope. Playable demons start at level 12 (succubus. I'm ignoring the Dretch because they're not exactly player character material, even though they have a level adjustment). Same level for bearded devils.

Yuan-ti could be an alternative, I give you that.

-Now we're on to something here. Your first line ("Orcs are stupid...") tells me everything I need to know about this mind set, and why it might frustrate some people.

First off, Drow are EVIL...yet players make them GOOD when it suits their purposes. Yet, an Orc is STUPID...and players aren't willing to make them SMART when it suits their purposes?

YOU AREN'T LIMITED BY YOUR RACE!! This sort of limited creativity is what drives so many DMs crazy. You don't need a black skinned, red eyed, white haired race to make your character unique! Polarized concepts are not only really annoying (Redeemed Devil, Evil Angel, etc...), but lack the nuances of creativity you can achieve with a more mainstream example (Vicious Halfling, Cold Blooded Gnome, Kind Hearted Orc).

Yeah right. A LA +2 drow that is still very much like a human (and thus not too alien in mindset) is the very same as a LA +10 or something critter with half a dozen templates. :p

-Again, this is where we disagree. A Drow is NOT a really cool looking human...a mainstream Drow is the equivalent of a Bondage Obsessed, Sadistic, Psychopathic Serial Killer than a mainstream human every will be. If you want some insight on how Drow SHOULD be portrayed, I suggest reading Mongoose Publishing's "The Quintessential Drow" and Green Ronin's "Plot and Poison: A Guidebook to Drow".

As an example, Drow within those books do things like force an adventurer to watch his wife get slaughtered in an arena...then animate the wife as a ghoul to devour the adventurer's best friend.

In other words, they make PERFECT bad guys...pretty, evil elves that do awful, disgusting things that make their untimely demise all the more satisfying.

Responses in RED

Satori

First Post
pallandrome said:
EDIT: I also have plans for a Lawful Neutral Drow businessman. Adventuring for greater profit margins! He'll be perfectly polite, because even though these surface dwellers don't understant his cultures eccentricities, a good world traveller tries not to upset the locals too much. He'll also send gold home each month to his Matriarch like a good family-drow should.

I like the idea of a Lawful Evil Drow Businessman who seems perfectly polite and cordial, but signs you up for contracts like "Interest Only Loans".

"Now you're stuck with high interest premiums for the rest of your life! MUHAHAHAHAHA!"

I think I just felt a new NPC form in my head...

RFisher

Explorer
rossik said:
i mean, why "yes" for orc pc and "no" for drow pc?

By default it's "no" for both, because neither typically exist in my worlds. Orcs are more likely to exist than drow, so that would be a reason if I did say "yes" to orc & "no" to drow.

arent both "evil"?

Not necessarily.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
By all the Dark Powers, please use the quote tag properly.

Satori said:
Sure, now a days NOTHING is sacred, like that Lawful Good Mind Flayer they have in "Book of Exalted Cheese".

Is it Cheese because they show a LG mind flayer, or did you just throw that in and you think it's generally Cheese? The book was talking about redeemed creatures, and an Illithid, being one of Wizards Very Special Critters (which they consider so D&D that they don't even put them into the SRD), is a great example for something really evil. They could also have gone with Beholder, sure.

And I'd say that guy is sacred. The point is, they wanted to show that in a world where everything is possible, everything is possible. I applaud that. "You can't do/have that" is a thing of the past and doesn't belong into modern D&D.

Drow are extremely common now, with dozens of source books...and nearly all races are playable, with built in PC stats in their MM write-up.

Wouldn't say "extremely common", but they went way beyond the one single good drow it all started with.

This wasn't always the case, though, and I believe it has turned 3.x into a "Monster Mash", where the "Unusual" is now becoming the "Norm".

I believe it turned D&D into something much better than it was. Note that the books never say that you should allow everything (and also note that monsters as races often don't work out so well, and it's probably done on purpose to discourage floods of monster PCs).

It's all about your gaming group. The unusual has not become the norm in ours, and I doubt it ever will be. Sure, there are the occasional monsters among our characters, and tomorrow, I'm starting a short campaign where weird, way-out-there characters are not only supported, but encouraged, but I call that campaign "The Playground of Madness" for a reason. The one after that will be all standard races again.

I don't follow.

Lolth hasn't exactly become a goddess a couple of hours ago. Asmodeus's ascension is pretty new (it will only really come into effect in several months), but Lolth has been a deity for quite some time now.

-Hmm...I'm afraid I'd have disagree with you there. Currently, Drow are ECL +2...which puts then as nearly unplayable by "Normal Group" standards. You can't be a melee class, because your HP/BAB will suck something awful...you can't be a caster because you'll be 2 levels behind in spells...the best you could do is play a skill monkey, hope the unbalanced stats make up for 2 levels, and try not to get hit in combat. Now, this doesn't take into effect the numerous house rules most games install to make Drow playable (Lesser Drow, etc...). I'm not talking about that, but taking Drow straight from the box.

Let me see: I played a drow favoured soul, and I have to agree: That was bad. The fact that favoured souls lag behind one level made it only worse.

I played a couple of drow rogues. The first one died pretty quickly, but that was because the DM rolled like a bastard and couldn't fudge that roll because someone who visited stared behind the screen. Oh, and I had bad rolls all around too. I failed my search check for the trap, the trap got past my SR, I failed my reflex save, and the cone of cold froze him solid despite boots of the winterlands (which give cold resistance 5). The latter did quite well.

I also recently played a drow swordsage. It rocked.

-Oh, I agree that Drizzt was a fantastic character. I loved reading his books when I was an angsty teenager (I also loved Vampire: The Masquerade...big shock, right?).

I read (many of) them after I turned 20 (and no longer a teenager), and I was never angsty. I still liked them.

As I grow older, though, I realize that the more fulfilling characters are "Ordinary" races that become "Extra-Ordinary" through background, roleplaying, and quirks.

I have to disagree there. A drow character can be just as fulfilling as a "normal" elf. Also, what you're describe fits Drizzt, too: His Background is extraordinary (not evil, but managed to survive for a time in evil drow society, and made his escape), the "roleplaying" was fine, and he had his quirks.

Plus, I wouldn't call a drow something extraordinary. Neither in regards to power (or powers), nor in regards to occurance.

Correct. Now, keep in mind that most DnD players DO use the rules as the "Holy Bible".

Absolutely not. Otherwise house rules (the equivalent of "I like the Bible, but the part about not stealing doesn't sit well with me. In my Sermons, that will be 'thou shalt not steal unless the other guy won't miss it'!") would not exist.

I mean...you play a game, you follow the rules that make the game work. Hence, translating Drizzt "Uber-wuber-ness" to a Rules Environment doesn't always work

Not always, no. But most of the time. Just give him, say, 16 character levels and the right feats and stuff and he's quite über compared to your average orc.

and creates an extremely frustrating situation when player expectations aren't met ("What? You mean I can't be as cool as Drizzt?").

Never heard that. What I did hear was: "What, that 'legendary' Drizzit guy's only level 16? I'm a level 20 character now, I'll go and kick his butt." often enough. Compared to your average sell-sword or low-level character, Drizzt seems like the unstoppable force of destruction or something, but in the big picture of D&D, it's small potatoes. I always wondered why people complain if Drizzt wastes three dozen orcs without breaking a sweat. D&D characters can usually manage that before they turn 10th level.

he just happens to fit into that model as well. Drizzt is "Unplayable Race X trying to a Good Guy"

Who says drow are unplayable?

which is frustrating to many DMs who don't want the headache of statting out something like a "Lawful Good Half-Demon Grimlock Paladin".

Since when do DMs stat out the players' characters?

And creating a half-demon grimlock paladin is a headache? I can whip that up in like 5 minutes. About 1 minute longer than a regular grimlock paladin. Maybe I'm just that good.

Now we're on to something here. Your first line ("Orcs are stupid...") tells me everything I need to know about this mind set, and why it might frustrate some people.

First off, Drow are EVIL...yet players make them GOOD when it suits their purposes.

They're usually (neutral) evil. That's far away from always evil. It means that half of them are NE. Of course, another 30 per cent or so are likely CE and LE, respectively, and another 10-15% are among the neutrals. That means 5-10 out of a hundred drow are good. They might be an exception rather than the rule, but it's a long shot from the unique/one-in-a-million non-CE demon. Plus, in the Realms, they even have a CG goddess.

So yes, it's not quite ordinary for a drow to be good, but heroes are from extraordinary stock. I'd also say that most good drow would become adventurers roaming the world (away from their home cities), while few evil drow ever become adventurers and stay most (or even all) of their lives within a mile form the place of their birth. That means that most drow adventurers are likely to be good rather then evil.

Yet, an Orc is STUPID...and players aren't willing to make them SMART when it suits their purposes?

Willing, maybe. But it's not easy, because orcs aren't "the book says they're usually stupid" stupid, but "the book says all orcs get -2 on int, wis and cha" stupid. Sure, many like the "smart orc" concept, but not everyone is willing to play such a character because it isn't nearly as effective as a similar concept done with a race that doesn't get that penalty, or even gets a bonus on it.

YOU AREN'T LIMITED BY YOUR RACE!!

YES YOU ARE!! :p A first-level orc can only have Int 16, and even that means wasting lots and lots of points on it (points that will be missed in other stats you might need for your concept, because most concepts that require a good int are also partial to decent wis or cha, and those get a penalty, too). Any half-decent int score will cost you dearly.

As I said: Many players don't want to play a sub-par character. I'm not saying that they're pure power gamers, because it's not power gaming to just want a character that can pull its weight.

This sort of limited creativity is what drives so many DMs crazy. You don't need a black skinned, red eyed, white haired race to make your character unique!

No, but it doesn't hurt, either.

Polarized concepts are not only really annoying (Redeemed Devil, Evil Angel, etc...)

Non-evil drow aren't a polarised concept, unless you have a very narrow definition about what a drow should be capable of.

Of all the drow (or half-drow) I've seen or played in the past, none were "redeemed evildoers" or "exemplars of light". There were good-aligned ones among them, who weren't making a big deal about how all their race was evil and they weren't or anything. Some were neutral - not pathological bloodthirsty homicidal maniacs, but not paladin-like either. Some were evil. In fact, I played one who was a pbhm. Had a great time with that character. One of the most fun parts was his low bluff score.

but lack the nuances of creativity you can achieve with a more mainstream example (Vicious Halfling, Cold Blooded Gnome, Kind Hearted Orc).

That's just an excuse. Of course you can achieve the same nuances of creativity. There might be some people who will only go as far as "I know, I'll make a fallen angel", but not everyone is like that.

And for the record, non-evil drow isn't any more polarised than cold blooded gnome, vicious halfling or kind hearted orc. All these races are humanoids without any alignment restrictions hard-wired into their traits.

Again, this is where we disagree. A Drow is NOT a really cool looking human...a mainstream Drow is the equivalent of a Bondage Obsessed, Sadistic, Psychopathic Serial Killer than a mainstream human every will be.

That's just because there's no mainstream human. Other than that, drow aren't any more capable of sadism or anything like that than a human. Drow don't have an alien mindset that is utterly incomprehensible to a human or anything. They're both humanoids.

If you want some insight on how Drow SHOULD be portrayed

I don't need any insight on how someone else things they should be portrayed. I know exactly well how they should be portrayed.

As an example, Drow within those books do things like force an adventurer to watch his wife get slaughtered in an arena...then animate the wife as a ghoul to devour the adventurer's best friend.

Nothing a human wouldn't do, too. Sure, not every human would do that, but then again, not every drow would do that, either.

But you gave me a great incentive to stay away from these books. If they can't get past the "drow should be treated as outsiders as far as alignment is considered", they're worthless.

Remove ads