• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why there won't be a "Player's Handbook II"

Players Handbook: The Grouptesting Strikes Back!

Players Handbook: The Grouptesting Strikes Back!

Sacrosanct

Legend
Makes sense. And since Mearls is opposed to recreating old products, we probably won't get "Unearthed Arcana" either.

Not that it matters. A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

? We have Unearthed Arcana right now. A new one just came out yesterday in fact.

sandvirm

First Post
I would be fine with a book titled Player's Handbook II or Unearthed Arcana. What I don't want is Volo's Guide to Adventuring. The reason I'm in favor of the first two and but not the third is that I don't want everything branded as Forgotten Realms.

I should clarify, they didn't say there would not be a book serving the purpose of a PHB II, only that they don't plan to use that kind of title.

They also tried to move away from ths in the DnD esentials line (4E).
The 2 books that contained races and classes in that line where called Heroes of the Fallen lands and Heroes of the forgotten kingdom.

Last edited by a moderator:

delericho

Legend
They also tried to move away from ths in the DnD esentials line (4E).
The 2 books that contained races and classes in that line where called Heroes of the Fallen lands and Heroes of the forgotten kingdom.

Yep. Unfortunately, they were so focused on avoiding one particular mistake, they dove straight into making another - specifically, trying to sell two books with largely duplicated content, each containing only half of the classes people 'needed'.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Volo's Guide to Exotic Adventurers

Since they've already co-opted a bunch of material from other settings into FR, it wouldn't surprise me to see class concepts from Darksun and the like as well. Volo's Guide to Monsters is a great book, and if they did a PHB2 in the same vein, I'd totally buy it in a heartbeat, even if I don't give 2 coppers about FR itself. It's not like I can't use any FR class/race into my generic game world easy as pie.

Yep. Unfortunately, they were so focused on avoiding one particular mistake, they dove straight into making another - specifically, trying to sell two books with largely duplicated content, each containing only half of the classes people 'needed'.

If there is going to be a book wth player options I might wasnt to see them based around a theme.
A example might be the book Sandstorm in 3.5 that had desert and arabian nights options fo all classes, and specific rules for running a desert campaign.

Remove ads

Remove ads