• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Will the WOTC Gametable return or is it dead forever?

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
I'm trying to say that I don't think you have any idea what your talking about.

I thought of a lot of ways I'd Like to respond to this. Instead, I decided I'd just let you respond to it, in your own words.

... I've been paying WAY TO MUCH attention to your posts. I'm getting very tired of your belittling and condescending attitude as well. It is rude, unneeded and unproductive.

Have a nice day.:)

Last edited:

darjr

I crit!
I thought of a lot of ways I'd Like to respond to this. Instead, I decided I'd just let you respond to it, in your own words.

Have a nice day.:)

justanobody? You did that one to your self. You've been carrying that chip on your shoulder this whole time?

Anyways, it still remains that writing software is a hard business. One of the most successful and powerful companies in the world has a difficult time meeting their own goals.

I think you've agreed with that in at least one post edit or another, but you return to this idea that it's as simple as not lying. It isn't. Innocent, honest, hardworking folks fail at delivering software all the time through no fault of their own.

I was never keen on 4E. I told myself I'd wait a year and by then the virtual tabletop would be up and running. That's what interested me. I'd be able to run regular D&D games with players around the world whenever I wanted, via an official D&D medium no less.

Today, nothing about 4E impresses me. I meet people all the time who dislike 4E. Some never tried it, some did and didn't like it. However you cut it, there's a heck of a lot of D&D players out there who don't like 4E. If I had to guess, it's probably in the 35-40% range. That's a lot.

With the debacle that has been WotC online services, and now the looming cancellation of the virtual tabletop, I have no interest in getting into 4E.

I'm sticking with 3.5 but even then I anticipate my enjoyment of D&D diminishing as the already small group of D&D players shrinks as they slowly convert to 4E or quit altogether. I'll likely be in the latter camp. Which is a shame since I've been gaming for 20+ years but with the way the game is going I'm almost ready to move on.

fba827

Adventurer
The game table is mentioned here, with links to screen shots...
D&DI on boingboing

the wording of it makes it seem like something still in progress (rather than a dead project)

Edit: Okay, never mind. the post on WotC's main page leading to the article just appeared so I thought it was new, but it is taking you to an article from last year (Feb 2008).

Last edited:

The Ghost

Explorer
Anyways, it still remains that writing software is a hard business. One of the most successful and powerful companies in the world has a difficult time meeting their own goals.

Certainly. It is pretty much a known fact. And that is what makes it troubling that WotC management and marketing went ahead with the advertising of the features as being available at the release of 4e. They could have saved themselves a lot of these headaches by initialy labeling these products as "coming soon" or "in the near future" or even not advertise them at all until they were ready to beta test them. Instead, they used these tools to help sell people on 4e. For some of us, that is the reason we bought in. It would be like Sony selling me an HDTV only I would have to wait seven months to get the HD part. Sure, I could still watch TV over that time but I didn't get what I paid for.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
justanobody? You did that one to your self. You've been carrying that chip on your shoulder this whole time?

I think you've agreed with that in at least one post edit or another, but you return to this idea that it's as simple as not lying. It isn't. Innocent, honest, hardworking folks fail at delivering software all the time through no fault of their own.

I'm not going to carry on this argument any longer. You and I obviously have very different ideas when it comes to this. We are just going to have to accept that our standards are very different (well, I'll accept it, whether you do is up to you).

However, there is one thing I very much want to clear up.

I don't know where you got an idea that I'm justanobody, but I suggest you actually check my profile. I don't alt troll. I don't obfuscate, lie or hide. I have but one profile on here and this is it. You have made a significant mistake with regards to this. If you want confirmation on that, please contact me through my profile and we can discuss this further.

I easily found that quote by looking at your profile (give it a try) and clicking a link to a post that MustrumRudcully gave you experience for. It wasn't exactly dificult to find, but it was fortuitous for me. Interesting how things like that can come back to haunt people though.

Good day to you. I hope you continue to enjoy the thread, but you'll do so without me.

lkj

Hero
D&DI on boingboing

the wording of it makes it seem like something still in progress (rather than a dead project)

Edit: Okay, never mind. the post on WotC's main page leading to the article just appeared so I thought it was new, but it is taking you to an article from last year (Feb 2008).

Yeah. That's wierd. Like a news item from the same day last year got automatically posted. Guessing it was a mistake.

aD

JackSmithIV

First Post
justanobody? ....

:eek: What!? Where? :eek:

I don't know where you got an idea that I'm justanobody, but I suggest you actually check my profile...

Oh, alright.

Wow, man, don't scare me that way.

D&DI on boingboing

Ouch. I actually showed up to post this, but it appears you've not only beat me to it, but pointed out a fatal error. This looks like a big mistake. HOWEVER...

I think it is indeed a sign that they intend to continue with the Game Table project. This might sound simple of me, but you'd think that if they were scrapping such a big project, there's be some kind of memo around with the gist of "All Wizards employees: don't talk about the Game Table. Sensative subject, best not to address it now". It almost feels like their way of saying that it's still coming without saying that it's still coming, if you catch my drift.

Shemeska

Adventurer
Yeah, if tonight's update is a link to screens of Game Table and company, it seems clear that these are not dead projects.

If 'dildo' can briefly show up as a word of the day on Hasbro's official Scrabble site, then a year old link can easily slip past any review and show up as new news on WotC.

Remove ads