Windows 8?

sabrinathecat

Explorer
So, after 2 weeks (on and off) of trying to get this machine up and working, or working around the idiocy of the interface design, I've a few thoughts.

1: about 1/2 to 3/4 of the information on how to solve the bad design and annoying elements is written for the wrong version, or incomplete, or otherwise ineffective and worse than useless (you waste time trying to find what the person is talking about, only to discover it is for the wrong OS).

2: whatever the agenda was, they lost the plot.

3: while there is always some grumbling about various changes to the OS, and tools moving, and such like, the results of this new version are disastrously, soul-destroyingly, stupifyingly bizzare and disjointed that there can only be pain and frustration.

4: The default setting for almost everything is "hide it." Which means for almost every program, you have to hunt online to find the information for each program (usually different for each company) to find out how to unhide all the tools and menus needed to make the software functional.

5: the built in mail system is so torqued out of reality--you can't minimize it and work on other programs as you could with absolutely anything else. Instead, you have to either alt 4 or alt+tab to turn the program off or toggle to another program. What was the thinking here? Seriously? Who thought this was a good idea?

6: locating standard tools is ludicrous bordering on impossible--unless you stumble on it by accident while looking for something else. I am totally baffled as to how anyone could think this was a good idea, or in any way intuitive.

Windows 8: an abomination so vile it nearly drove me to Mac--and I HATE Mac.

Ultimate suggestion: get Windows 7, or wait for 9 or 10, or 15, or 2020.

Mallus

Legend
I recently made the switch from Windows 7 laptop to new Macbook Pro... however, I'm thinking of putting Windows 8 on it via Bootcamp. For, umm, productivity purposes. Yeah, that's it! Totally not for PC gaming...

Anyone have experience running Windows 8 on a Mac?

(I'm not really in a rush. I'm interested in doing more PC gaming mainly because Steam has actual sales. Where they lower prices significantly. Well, that and the indie development scene. There won't be any must-play AAA titles for me until the next Dragon Age comes out.)

Remove ads