Winter Ceramic DM™: THE WINNER!

Sialia

First Post
mythago said:
There’s a sharp wit at work here, and the narrative style he’s adopted for Lidda is stylishly crafted.
"Adopted" is one word for it *cough*Yamara *cough*, but we'll call it a brilliant execution of form expressing function in the creation of his "iconic" voice.

Piratecat: I admit it. When I first realized it was a D&D parody, I made a very Mirabelle-like comment. (Hey, you don't suppose that Sialia...never mind.)
Would I do such a thing? Me?

I'm sure I don't even know what you're talking about.

So, is the bird still on, or do we swap it out?

I didn't see the eariler round it was in, so I do not know how it was used before.

I'm cool with leaving it in. Or, what the hey, we probably didn't need the twelve pages I spent setting it up anyway. I can let them go.

There's plenty left.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Wheee! Clay, thank you for making me sweat and worry and for inspiring me to do my best in order to win this one. It's a measure of my respect for you that I tried something new to me, because I knew nothing more traditional was going to be able to top your writing.

I've never written comedy before. The closest is probably some Paranoia modules done for the RPGA ten years ago. Doing this was a risk in that regard, because I wasn't sure I could carry it off.

The "rock slices" photo is what ultimately convinced me to use a fantasy motif. I had this image of a dwarf sitting around and licking the rock like each layer was a different flavor. That's funny - so make the whole thing funny? Sure. I'm nervous that anything fantasy-based that I write will come out sounding like a story hour, so I might as well disguise that with a little humor.

So I asked myself how to provide fantasy characters that anyone would care about. I had rejected the characters from the D&D movie when something clicked in my head. The iconics? Hmmm. Everyone knew them, they were funny and chock full of in-fighting, and they'd give me the chance to do in-jokes and a tiny bit of editorializing. I knew that I needed to make normal adventuring situations slightly absurd, and I wanted to avoid puns; I'm no Piers Anthony. I never even thought of Yamara when writing Lidda's voice, but I'm sure it influenced me subconsciously. Some times form really does define function.

So I tried to cobble together a valid plot with well-fitting pictures. The main plot came quickly: Devis wanting revenge on Gimble. I then worked to layer the thematic elements of the photos, trying to make them come into play more than once and trying to give them as much relevance as possible. Doing this gave me some wonderful jokes. That's where Vadania's dopey animal stchick came from; there was no other way to introduce an exotic animal like a pangolin if I hadn't paved the way with other inappropriate animal choices.

Making it funny and satirical wasn't quite as tough as I had feared, as I just tried to pick what I personally think is funny - with a quick prayer that other peoples' senses of humor would be close enough to agree. A lot of the humor comes from subtleties and throw-away lines, which I think works okay. My personal favorite? Working in Necromancer Games' slogan into Devis' pick-up routine. Most of the humor was added or altered during my editing.

I agree with Arwink that it could be a bit shorter; in specific, I'd trim Mialee's pangolin lecture and remove an accidental repeated-line typo uttered by the wizard from the coast. Thanks for having the wisdom to not reject it out-of-hand when you first saw the theme. :D

Incidentally:

There once was a halfling from Bree
Who’d only come up to your knee
He'd usually pout
When we rented him out
For a truly exceptional fee.

Last edited:

Sialia

First Post
Incidentally:

There once was a halfling from Bree
Who’d only come up to your knee
He'd usually pout
When we rented him out
For a truly exceptional fee.
Magnificent!

Really, the whole effort was superb. You musn't mind me snarking. I'm deeply in character at the moment, and some of the voices in my head are wiser and kinder than others.

You and Clay really did yourselves proud that round. I look forward to seeing your next entry.

But I will miss his.

Jozan of Pelor

First Post
I am pleased to see that my mere presence in an otherwise ho-hum story brought victory to the author. It simply goes to show how the Burning Light that is Pelor brings truth to the simple minded.

Of course, a little more of ME would have vastly improved the whole thing.

By the way, I must repeat: it is a belt buckle, not a cod piece.

Carry on! :)

Devis

First Post
Ah, yes. Always wanted to play a villain, myself, but one does get so typecast when one is a hero. I was really pleased when Piratecat called and offered the part. Gave me a chance to really stretch my wings, dramatically. It's so good to work with an artist of his caliber. And of course it was great to work with Lidda, Krusk, Mialee, all the gang again.

All in good fun, eh, Gumble? [Smiles broadly and then stands so that his cape flaps in Gimble's face for all the cast pictures.]

Maldur

First Post
and the odd thing is : its not even a grand finale!

The best is yet to come!!

:D

(Clay: No gencon this year for me :( I have another con appointment at the time(I think) :D)

Sialia

First Post
Well, the beast currently weighs in at 16 pages.

I have some hours left, I think. (When is this thing due--Monday evening?)

So the question is, do I use the time to flesh out the missing transitional bits, or trim down to some arbitrary word limit that the judges can bear?

I will, of course, trim fat whereever I find it, though it seems likely to me that the first stuff to get cut will be any of that extraneous visual description like height and build and costume and irrelevant set dressing. I trust you've all read the books and know what basic creatures are shaped like.

If anyone has specific comments about what kinds of things could have been cut from the first one without damaging it--apart from the profanity, which wouldn't have saved me more than a word or two-- feel free to either post it here or send me private email at mscurio@yahoocom

Thanks!

Remove ads