• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Witch Girls Adventures

Channelm

First Post
Two suggestions on your main page.

As a parent of a 14 year old girl..
- 'Girl' may not be the right thing to call her if you want her respect {sometimes.. you know how it is... :-S }
- I might be interested in pitching this to her if there was more than the core book. The first 'real' module isn't scheduled until Sept 2009?
- Whats the 'Wicked Edition'? She is sure to ask...

Just my >2 cents :)

Thank you for the help
-Faq page broke during an update, its fixed
-The core rule book is more than rules. Its also a source book/campaign book and monster manual starting adventure and more.

-I'll add more info on the wicked edition. So you know its the same core rule book ith diffrent illustrations, diffrent comic and more wicked text and so on. You can only buy it on the website or at conventions.

The first ssue of 13 magazine should also be ready by the end of june and the witch girls tales comic contains more game info.

Dausuul

Legend
Quick note - the white lettering on the starry-beige background at the top of the site is very hard to read. Not nearly enough contrast, and the combination of fancy lettering with busy background is painful.

Further comments once I've looked around a bit...

Edit: Okay, further comments. The artistic style works well for the game. Concept seems reasonably cool. The game itself seems a bit number-crunchy - at least what I can tell from glancing over the character creation stuff. I'm not going to get into the question of "What do women want in a game?", but I will say that the target audience for a game about playing witches at a magical academy is probably not going to be all that excited about the number-crunching, optimizing, abstract-mathematics-for-its-own-sake side of RPGs.

I assume Wicked Edition characters are compatible with regular ones?

Last edited:

Channelm

First Post
but I will say that the target audience for a game about playing witches at a magical academy is probably not going to be all that excited about the number-crunching, optimizing, abstract-mathematics-for-its-own-sake side of RPGs

number crunchy?
not as much as you think if you look it over in detail.
you never really have to add anything higher than 24.
and the rolls are based on a set difficulty number. or highest roll.

ArghMark

First Post
Actually I have a 10 year old niece that I plan to introduce into the hobby. I've briefly had a look; this game seems like it might interest her. I'm thinking I might run it and my wife play.
Unfortunately I don't have any other young female relatives who would be interested.

The Grackle

First Post
The artwork is great.
lucindapage1large.jpg

Starfox

Hero
I think RPGs is something that men and women, or girls and boys for that matter, can do together. But I also see a very strong case for letting girls start in groups of their own. It is easier for them to "take up space" with only other girls around; to go in their own direction and not just be "good little girls". This builds confidence they can then use in mixed games. After having learnt the basics and gained some confidence, RPGs can be a social venue where women prosper and compete well with men, no problem whatsoever. But for a girl to start acting out in a mixed group can be hard - especially if the group starts out with a typically male teen or pre-teen macho violent theme.

Mixed groups are often very fun to play with. In my personal experience, the women of mixed groups, after gaining some confidence, like to play around with pretty male-ish concepts. They are often quite violent and direct in their approach. Male players, on the other hand, often show more malleable and social sides of themselves as they gain confidence. While this is just my personal experience, I think it is a very good thing and lets people develop sides of themselves they might not normally do.

Loonook

First Post
Why do we need a game specifically marketing to girls? Math is too hard?

This just seems a very... self-serving sort of game. I have no issue with a setting or developing something for a market... but it just seems kind of condescending to say that a game should be made specifically for girls.

Hell, plenty of interesting easy-to-learn games for kids... and some real great ones (like Little Fears) which could be used with kids pretty readily.

Slainte,

-Loonook.

This just seems a very... self-serving sort of game. I have no issue with a setting or developing something for a market... but it just seems kind of condescending to say that a game should be made specifically for girls.

I fail to see anything condecending about it. Seems smart to me. Items have been aimed at girls for ages, and yes some kids would say something like " Girls can't play this or you wouldn't understand this is guy stuff"

Seems to me an RPG aimed at girls might just do it's job- bring more girls into the hobby. That can't be a bad thing

Channelm

First Post
I think RPGs is something that men and women, or girls and boys for that matter, can do together. But I also see a very strong case for letting girls start in groups of their own. It is easier for them to "take up space" with only other girls around; to go in their own direction and not just be "good little girls". This builds confidence they can then use in mixed games. After having learnt the basics and gained some confidence, RPGs can be a social venue where women prosper and compete well with men, no problem whatsoever. But for a girl to start acting out in a mixed group can be hard - especially if the group starts out with a typically male teen or pre-teen macho violent theme.

We've had a lot of all girl groups in playtesting/demos. We've had mom's and daughters play, sisters and we've had a few guys play (Mostly at cons).

The dynamic of all girls is totally diffrent. As a Director (GM) it allows not only my players to expand themselves but it allows me to expand as a person telling a story.

Girls/ladies in groups of all or mostly girls/ladies tend to want a lot more story, a lot more drama. yes they get into fights but they think their way out a lot more too. They are also (from my experince) really good at co-telling the story through their Star (character.)

To the point, what we want from this to give girls a chance to grow into the hobby, understand it and love it as we love it and at our demos I'm seeing that.

Channelm

First Post
Actually I have a 10 year old niece that I plan to introduce into the hobby. I've briefly had a look; this game seems like it might interest her. I'm thinking I might run it and my wife play.
Unfortunately I don't have any other young female relatives who would be interested.

Hola Mark.

2 can be a great game but why not do what others have doine for demos. make it a slumber party game with witch based snacks, crafts and then the game.

With younger kids there are a lot of ways to get more kids involved because you can link it to other events.

Remove ads