Wizards Digital Initiative Moving Forward

JVisgaitis

Explorer
Mercule said:
I have got to try a newer Mac. I haven't even seen OSX in person. I absolutely hated all the Mac OSes prior to OSX, but I've heard nothing but good about the latest.

The old OSs were terrible and used to crash all the time. I'd wait a bit though. The WWDC is just around the corner and there should be a lot of news on Leopard.

tensen

First Post
Psion said:
Um, the ad talks about programming multithreaded Win32 programs... that has nothing to do with what computer you have at home or at work.

I actually meet most of those requirements. I don't do much windows coding, though.

It is a director position. They get to claim experience based on what the actual developers do, not have to do it themselves.

At least thats what I've always seen other tech managers do.

Last edited:

The Requirements said:
Required: 5+ years programming experience on either computer games or web infrastructure (both preferred)
That's quite a swing. Computer games are generally raw hardware apps and web infrastructures don't even care about what the CPU is.
Required: 3+ years experience working with multi-threaded library on Win32 platform.
What does this have to do with online gaming? MAC folks are in for some disappointment I'll bet.
Preferred: 3+ years working with GNU tools such as automake and autoconf or 3+ years working with Microsoft Tools such as Visual Studio.NET.
I can count on my hands the number of people I know who use Microsoft Tools such as VS.NET who have even heard of, let alone used, automake or autoconf.
Preferred: 3+ years working with source control system such as CVS or Perforce
I'm shocked that MS SourceSafe isn't listed.
Preferred: 3+ years development experience working in a Linux environment
How many years have gone by? Won't this person have retired by now?

wedgeski

Adventurer
jmucchiello said:
That's quite a swing. Computer games are generally raw hardware apps and web infrastructures don't even care about what the CPU is.
There's quite a lot of crossover between the two platforms in these post-.NET days. But, my bet is they want someone with both and are just hedging their bets.
What does this have to do with online gaming? MAC folks are in for some disappointment I'll bet.
Um, quite a lot?
I can count on my hands the number of people I know who use Microsoft Tools such as VS.NET who have even heard of, let alone used, automake or autoconf.
I know six full time developers, and three contractors, who fit the bill. It all depends what circles you move in, I guess.
I'm shocked that MS SourceSafe isn't listed.
Having been forced to use it for 2 years, the word is *relief*, not shock. :)
How many years have gone by? Won't this person have retired by now?
Huh? My own employer splits its time equally between the Windows and Unix platforms.

This is a *very* dense set of requirements. I hope Wizards are prepared to pay this person a lot of money.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
JVisgaitis said:
I'm really glad I wasn't at that meeting or I would have went crazy. Good software support is so crucial and vital in this day and age and they are looking at it now? How in the Nine Hells can they be so short sighted? Especially when they are so well know for their marketing surveys and the pulse they have on the industry.

I think you're vastly overstating with the "crucial and vital" bit there. Software support is rarely vital for things that are not primarily done on a computer already. It has never been a priority for, say, print publishing. Or board gaming. Or most other hobby activities that don't already take place on the computer.

The thing is, software requires completely different skillsets and infrastructure than the other things Wizards does. Moving into that line of work represents an enormous capital outlay and significant financial risk - basically equivalent to opening a new startup company. It doens't matter how long-sighted you may be if the resources are not available.

Festivus

First Post
jmucchiello said:

Perhaps they plan to develop web applications served on Windows boxes using .net

Whatever it is, I hope it isn't expensive. I understand paying $15 a month for an MMORPG game, where you get glitz and graphics, but if it ends up something like what you can do now over IRC, OpenRPG, Fantasy Grounds, etc, I'll pass on it.

Remove ads