Wizards In Winter - High-Level Thread (DM: Son of Meepo, Judge: TwoHeadsBarking)

JoeNotCharles

First Post
Tarkus is tossed off his feet by the careening ship, and rolls painfully onto the deck. He tries to crawl back to the mast but, disoriented and facing the wrong way, ends up crouching unprotected in the center of the deck. He kneels defenselessly there, head bowed into the wind, clutching his holy symbol in numb fingers and muttering prayers over and over.

In answer, the winds briefly abate and both he and his allies feel a well of strength and succour. Defenseless he may look, but Juna is watching over him and his friends.

[sblock=Actions]
Start of turn: Acrobatics to keep my feet: fail. Fall prone an slide 2 squares, uh, I think that's east - right into the mast. Well, it doesn't matter where I slide, I can crawl to where I want to be anyway and I won't go over the side.
Move: crawl to N14
Standard: Healer's Mercy: Cyr and Earth each spend a healing surge and regain an extra 10 and 14 hp, respectively
Minor: Healing Word on myself: spend a healing surge and regain an extra 10 hp, and gain a +2 power bonus to all defenses against the next attack made against me before EONT
[/sblock]

[sblock=L4W Tarkus the Crusader]
Init: +1 Speed: 5 Perception:17 Insight: 21
AC: 19 Fort: 16 Ref: 15 Will: 20
HP: 29/46 Surges: 8/9 Surge Value: 11 AP: 0
Str:13 Con:14 Dex:8 Int:13 Wis:19 Cha:15

+2 to all defenses against first attack on me before EONT

Powers:
Gaze of Defiance
Astral Seal
Sacred Flame
Second Wind
Exacting Utterance
Astral Flare
Channel Divinity: Divine Fortune
Channel Divinity: Healer's Mercy
Healing Word
Healing Word
Moment of Glory
Sundered Fortune
Bless
Rune of Mending
Symbol of Resilience +2
Hero's Chainmail +1
Ornament of Alertness +1
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Son of Meepo

First Post
Despite being pelted by the storm, the crew heroically works to keep the ship afloat.

GM: Acrobatics DC is now 10/6

The air elemental moves over the center of the ship. It lets out a blast of air that pelts Tarkus. Kauldron is able to roll out of the way of the gust.

[sblock=Air Elemental]Start of Turn: Air Elemental becomes invisible until it attacks.
Move: N15 Elevation 5
Standard: Rampant Storm - Close blast 3 (enemies in the blast);
Attack: +13 vs. Reflex (Kauldron, Tarkus)
Hit: 3d8 + 5 damage, and the target is dazed until the end of the air elemental’s next turn if it could not see the elemental before the attack.
Rampant Storm (3d8+5=21, 1d20+13+2=16, 1d20+13+2=34) (MISS, HIT)[/sblock]

One aboleth continues to flee, the other grabbed by Dox's garotte, tries to summon a disruptive blast of psychic energy, Dox however tightens his grip and soon the Aboleth stops thrashing.

[sblock=Aboleth]Aboleth 1
Start of Turn:
5 fire damage.
Double Move: Swim further away
End of Turn: Saving Throw (1d20=11)

Aboleth 2
Start of Turn:
5 fire damage.
OA:1d8+8=13, 1d20+13+2=33 (HIT)[/sblock]

The abishai slowly recover from their wounds as they circle the ship, blasting the deck with thunder. Tarkus finally succumbs to the punishment, but a quick prayer by Brenwar gives the cleric just enough strength to continue.

GM: I'm not going to be overly literal with Brenwar's trigger. I had Brenwar use Shield of Devotion even though Tarkus dropped to exactly 0 hp, not below, since you are dying just the same at 0.

[sblock=Abishai]Abishai 1
Start of Turn:
Regenerate 5
Move: N24 Elevation 12
Standard: Thunderbolt - Area burst 2 within 10 (N17; Brenwar, Cyr)
Attack: +10 vs Reflex
Hit: 2d6+5 thunder damage.
Thunderbolt (2d6+5=11, 1d20+10=14, 1d20+10=24) (MISS, HIT)

Abishai 2
Start of Turn:
Regenerate 5
Move: I13 Elevation 12
Standard: Thunderbolt - Area burst 2 within 10 (M14; Kauldron, Tarkus)
Thunderbolt (2d6+5=8, 1d20+10=14, 1d20+10+2=29) (MISS, HIT)

Brenwar: Immediate Reaction - Shield of Devotion

Abishai 3
Move: S9 Elevation 12
Standard: Thunderbolt - Area burst 2 within 10 (P11; Earth, Martelai)
Thunderbolt (2d6+5=13, 1d20+10=24, 1d20+10=16) (HIT, MISS)[/sblock]

GM: You're turn.

MAP

Last edited:

Cyr shoots out another of his all around blasts, this time catching only abishai hovering over the ship and even that was barely a hit. His knowledge enchanced that minimum damage, but it required his full concentration. Luckily at the last moment he remembered small bit from his previous lives, targeting in the direction of ships roll so the ray goes lower then he would normally put it.

[sblock=Actions]
Acrobatics (1d20+2=22) - what a way to waste a 20 :(

Standard: Hand of Radiance vs Ref (SA1; SA2; Air); radiant damage (1d20+12=13, 1d20+12=19, 1d20+12=16, 1d4+7=8) - SA2 takes 12 radiant

Free: Use Memory of Thousand Lifetimes (1d6=5) to hit SA1 too

Move: P19
[/sblock]

[sblock=Cyr Stats]
Deva Invoker Scholar 6
IMMEDIATES:
* Interrupt: Miraculous Fortune (damage reduced by 5, one ally get +1 power bonus to attack) - trigger: surprise attack by non-necrotic attack or critical hit
* Reaction: Preserver's rebuke

Initiative +10; Senses Passive Insight 23, Passive Perception 24
HP 33/42, Bloodied 21, Surge Value 10+1, Surges 6/7
AC 22; Fortitude 16, Reflex 20, Will 22

(+1 TO ALL DEFENSES vs. BLOODIED ENEMIES)
Resist 8 radiant; Resist 8 necrotic

Feats:
* Battle Intuition - +2 to initiative, use Wisdom modifier instead of Dexterity
* Superior Implement (Accurate Staff)
* Coordinated Explosion - +1 to hit with blast and burst attacks if ally is in the area
* Superior Will

0/1 AP
Saving Throws:

Speed 5

Vanguard's Lightning
Hand of Radiance

Blades of Astral Fires
Second Wind
Memory of Thousand Lifetimes
Rebuke Undead
Preserver's Rebuke
Miraculous Fortune
Falling Leaves
Demand Justice
Use Vulnerability

Silent Malediction
Searing Orb

Staff of the warmage (daily free enlarge spell)
Clearsense powder (consumable minor)
Iron Skin Belt (daily minor): gain DR 5 TENT

[/sblock]

Last edited:

JoeNotCharles

First Post
Although dazed, Tarkus manages to sketch an odd symbol, taught to him by a dwarven runesmith he served with once, into the churning air above his head. Magic courses through the rune, revitalizing him, and all his companions feel a rush of strength through their arms.

[sblock=Actions]
Minor: Rune of Mending on myself: I spend 1 HS and regain an extra 1d6+2 hp, and all allies within 5 squares gain a +2 to all damage rolls until the end of my next turn
[/sblock]

[sblock=L4W Tarkus the Crusader]
Init: +1 Speed: 5 Perception:17 Insight: 21
AC: 19 Fort: 16 Ref: 15 Will: 20
HP: 24/46 Surges: 7/9 Surge Value: 11 AP: 0
Str:13 Con:14 Dex:8 Int:13 Wis:19 Cha:15

Powers:
Gaze of Defiance
Astral Seal
Sacred Flame
Second Wind
Exacting Utterance
Astral Flare
Channel Divinity: Divine Fortune
Channel Divinity: Healer's Mercy
Healing Word
Healing Word
Moment of Glory
Sundered Fortune
Bless
Rune of Mending
Symbol of Resilience +2
Hero's Chainmail +1
Ornament of Alertness +1
[/sblock]

Last edited:

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Dox efficiently untangles himself from the tentacled aberration and calls up in his soft voice, A rope would be appreciated. The last is cut off suddenly...
OOC: Ready to attempt to climb if a rope appears.

Edit: And.... then start to sink.

Last edited:

Son of Meepo

First Post
Dox efficiently untangles himself from the tentacled aberration and calls up in his soft voice, A rope would be appreciated.
OOC: Ready to attempt to climb if a rope appears.

GM: @stonegod You need to take a move action to make the DC 20 Athletics check to tread water or else you automatically sink at the end of your turn. Since you are readying an action. Your turn is ending in the water, thus you need to make the DC 16 Endurance check or take damage and be slowed.

EDIT: Since you are trying to tread water, and not move, failing by less than 5 does nothing adverse, so effectively you only need to hit a 15 to stay afloat.

Remove ads