Wizards of the Coast Employees Walk Out Over Hasbro's 'Tone-Deaf' Response to Overturning of Roe v. Wade

Status
Not open for further replies.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
If you want to be angry about any recent changes to laws, get angry at the people who are actually changing the law. WotC is, to the best of my knowledge, not that company. Direct your efforts at the people who are your actual enemies, not the people who support you but don't do it hard enough.

WotC employees should care about this. We should all be having discussions with our employers about this. But unless you work for a company that spends money lobbying in Congress, your employer is not the root cause of the problem. Don't let the people who are the real problem distract you with infighting instead of taking part in real and meaningful political opposition.
The thing is after citizens united corporations are considered people in U.S. politics. People with huge influence and deep deep pockets. Enlisting them as allies in your fight is very effective.

HaroldTheHobbit

Adventurer
As a Swedish person leaning strong to the left, I choose not to ban myself by using the words that this matter deserv. Let's just say that I'm happy that some people in the US are willing to risk their jobs for stuff that really, really matter.

Here I deleted a couple of paragraphs with my sad thoughts over what the US is doing to itself and it's people. But nothing good will come from me putting that in this forum. Just take care of yourselves US gamers and stay safe.

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I wish those employee's well and that they walk away forever. You are paid to create content to entertain. Entertain me with content not your beliefs. I am on neither side of the debate.
I don't know what you do for a living. Plumber? Postal worker? Whatever it is please refrain from ever commenting on anything in public but that exact topic from now on. You're not being paid to express views.

Obnoxious, isn't it? Please do not use this forum in an attempt to silence people with whom you disagree, whether that's a game designer, an actor, or anybody else you personally feel should remain silent on all topics other than their day job.

Threads like this are useful, I think, in figuring out where we all stand. Because I also think certain fundamental beliefs are important context for all kind of other topics, even something as comparatively trivial as RPGs and the RPG industry.

As for Hasbro, I'd be really surprised if they make a statement condemning Dobbs or offering travel expenses for abortions. This segment/article from about a week ago is surprisingly relevant now--and highlights, imo, the fact that companies can claim they have a social mission or want to promote social good, but what happens when that means being specific, and taking risks? Hasbro leans on the generic version of that. How long can they or any other company do so?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Okay Im neither American nor a Woman but what did Hasbro do?

Have they cut health benefits or is it a protest because Hasbro has made No Response at all?
I'm not sure, but it seems that the employees want Hasbro/WotC to pay for something that isn't the responsibility of the company to pay for. Especially in light of California(and I expect New York and maybe a few others to follow suit) offering to pay the costs for women who need to travel to get an abortion.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Threads like this are useful, I think, in figuring out where we all stand. Because I also think certain fundamental beliefs are important context for all kind of other topics, even something as comparatively trivial as RPGs and the RPG industry.

As for Hasbro, I'd be really surprised if they make a statement condemning Dobbs or offering travel expenses for abortions. This segment/article from about a week ago is surprisingly relevant now--and highlights, imo, the fact that companies can claim they have a social mission or want to promote social good, but what happens when that means being specific, and taking risks? Hasbro leans on the generic version of that. How long can they or any other company do so?

I'm actually wondering how much of Hasbro's leadership will still have their jobs a year from now, at this point. WoTC is the primary income source right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads