Wizards of the Coast Employees Walk Out Over Hasbro's 'Tone-Deaf' Response to Overturning of Roe v. Wade

Status
Not open for further replies.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Folks now like to shop with companies that share their values. Minimizing damage is something that is going to become more and more difficult for corps.
Yep. And not just "this company isn't actively setting the world on fire to get an extra 3% return for investors", but millennial and zoomers especially want to work for and buy from companies that are actively doing good.

I hold out hope that this trend intensifies, and eventually leads to a loss of near-monopoly in many industries, and a renaissance of small owner-operated businesses.
I'm not holding my breath, but I keep the flame of hope alive.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
So, I'm not sure how to talk about some of what is really interesting to me about this within the rules, so I'll have to stick to the internal politics of Hasbro, and companies like it.

As I said upthread, I wonder what the leadership of Hasbro will look like, this time next year. Wizards is already basically the dominant force in the Hasbro ecosystem, and is making investors a lot of money with multiple years of dramatic growth. If wizards reacts this strongly to how Hasbro's upper management handles something, to what degree will that leadership be pushed or even forced to adopt the attitudes of WoTC staff on important issues, and push harder toward fulfilling the promise of their supposed dedication to being a globally and social conscious company that is "doing good"? And if they don't fall in line with that quickly enough, will we see more top level jobs at Hasbro given over to current WotC staff?

Perhaps even more interesting to me, is the question of whether this will inspire staff at other entertainment companies to do the same sort of thing. IME, people have become noticeably more willing to leave a job for differences of values, especially in places where there are more jobs than candidates looking for them, but even in cases where that isn't true.

Combine that with a (hypothetically) successfull walkout by wotc staff, and we could be in for a very interesting next few years.

of course this also could crash and burn and make the next few years even worse than they were going to be, we won't know until we are in it.

Mirtek

Hero
As I've said before.

Corporations exist to maximize shareholder value...

Assuming the article is true, they did what they did (in their judgement) to minimize any "damage" to their bottom line.
Likewise 95% of any social responsibility and mission statements are solely for the very same reason.

Folks now like to shop with companies that share their values. Minimizing damage is something that is going to become more and more difficult for corps.
For those in the front row maybe. For those in the second and especially third line or beyond it probably will never matter.

You know who makes your car and expect them so show some values? Sure

But do you know who makes a certain screw that is used in your car? Do you know who makes the boxes that this company packs their screws in to send to your car manufacturer? I essentially work in the company that makes the material that those boxes are made of.

We're so far removed from the actual consumer you have likely never heard of us and likely never will. I doubt during my remaining professional career we'll ever have to issue any more than some 0815-image brochure with some nice pictures and a lot of empty words. Just because someone higher up in the value chain may eventually requires suppliers to have one of those so some box can be checked off and they can qualify for one more meaningless certification. And then everyone can continue daily business caring about working capital price passthroughs and EBITDA.

Last edited:

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I must have missed that. To google!

Wow. My wife tells me she did some math and we're probably going to get around $750. It won't be in time to help us move right now, but I'll take it.

This is why I am grateful to live in CA, warts and all.
It looks like my wife and I are in the same tier and will get the $750.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
It seems Polygon has an article on WotC employee's feelings about the company's response...

They note that at least 13 employees they spoke to were unaware of the "Wizards for Justice" account or post. This suggests to me that the thing's a bust, not necessarily because they disagree with it, but due to lack of reach in the notice.

Challenging moderation
I don't know what you do for a living. Plumber? Postal worker? Whatever it is please refrain from ever commenting on anything in public but that exact topic from now on. You're not being paid to express views.

Obnoxious, isn't it? Please do not use this forum in an attempt to silence people with whom you disagree, whether that's a game designer, an actor, or anybody else you personally feel should remain silent on all topics other than their day job.
Not Really. I am not trying to silence anyone on the forum. Just like then and now I accept the repurcussion of my freedom of speech and expect others to do so.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Not Really. I am not trying to silence anyone on the forum. Just like then and now I accept the repurcussion of my freedom of speech and expect others to do so.
Please do not respond to moderation in-thread, or post again in this thread.

Retreater

Legend
So it seems from the Polygon article that the internal memo says that Hasbro is adding travel benefits for healthcare. So they are taking care of their employees, and the gripe is mostly that the corporation hasn't made a political statement.
Personally, I'm satisfied with that move as a customer. It's more than most businesses I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads