• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Word of Mearls: Official Player races will not get Oversized Weapons. Forked Thread

How do you feel about this?

frankthedm

First Post
Forked from: Playing Minotaurs

mearls said:
The Monster Manual racial descriptions were never intended to be the canonical mechanics for those races. As the MM itself states, those stats are for DMs to create NPCs. You can use them as PCs, but a DM allows them at his own peril.

Thus, you'll see things like giving monsters oversized weapons and not giving them to official PC races. As others have pointed out, oversized weapons in PC hands are simply too good. It makes those races strictly better with weapons. If a PC race somehow gets it, expect it to be errata'd as soon as I see it.

Last edited:

Shroomy

Adventurer
Its a good idea. Personally, I think that the ability to wield over-sized weapons should be reserved for certain paragon paths, epic destinies, or higher tier feats. It definitely should not be available to standard heroic tier characters.

Vael

Legend
Sounds like a good idea. Bugbears and Minotaurs have been mainstays of weapon-based builds because of the over-sized bonus.

Positive, with the caveat that it applies to the rules as they currently exist.

If someone can come up with a way to model oversized weapons for PCs that makes them cool, but not as uber as they are now, I'd be happy to see PCs able to get that. (Someone in the other thread had a pretty solid idea of just granting small fixed bonuses that I wouldn't mind seeing playtested.)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads