WORST Comics Storyline

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Sorry, he brought up bad comics and apparently I have some strong feelings on the subject :)

I went back and added one, the one with the destruction of Hank Pym's soul. I couldn't even bring myself to look up the issue number.

For Cap-Hydra, I get the creative team at the time being mad we won't trust them -- but at some point it would be nice if the advertising would stop treating us like idiots who don't know it will all almost certainly be changed back soon if they really are to be trusted, and they should also blame their excremental predecessors who in a few cases did break things for not giving them blind trust.
That's basically what stopped me from reading comics, all the retcons. I was an avid reader up through the '90s and it became clear they were just going to keep recycling stories and rebooting the universe every 5-10 years so it felt like an utter waste of money to buy comics. I'll still drop in on occasion for a graphic novel or two, but I'm not wasting my time on single-issues floppies anymore.

And the summer blockbuster crossover events. Holy crap that's annoying. Start the story in the popular comics and put the high points in the low selling books to boost their sales. Thanks but no thanks.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Sorry, he brought up bad comics and apparently I have some strong feelings on the subject :)

I went back and added one, the one with the destruction of Hank Pym's soul. I couldn't even bring myself to look up the issue number.

For Cap-Hydra, I get the creative team at the time being mad we won't trust them -- but at some point it would be nice if the advertising would stop treating us like idiots who don't know it will all almost certainly be changed back soon if they really are to be trusted, and they should also blame their excremental predecessors who in a few cases did break things as a reason for us not giving them blind trust.
Ad Campaign - He's really, really, really is a Hydra agent and was all along.

Actual Comics - No he's not, and he wasn't.
Yeah, I mean, it was pretty obvious thst Hydra-Cap wouldn't stick...but thst maybe made it worse for me? Like, it was the straw thst broke the camels back so that I didn't care what happened in the comics anymore.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
The death of Superman with subsequent "inheritors" characters, followed by his resurrection. It cheapened everything that followed. It's not the first time that he came back from the dead. I can clearly remember that in the 100 page "DC Super Specials" they killed him in Kandor and then the moment that his body was removed from the city he came back to life, because he couldn't be dead in the world where he was invulnerable or some such weak hand-wave, but it was all over in one story and didn't string everyone along as "he's really gone forever."

I worked at a comic shop part time in grad school, and I want to say the boss was charging $25 a copy for it the day it came out - and I think we sold out. I wonder how many people opened the bags to read it and felt bad about opening it and how many kept them shut and felt bad they didn't get to read it.

The worst part for me was just how stupid I thought Doomsday was. being a marvel fan it was pretty clear that since it wasn't Uncle Ben or Mar-Vell that he would be back soon anyway (the biggest surprise was how long they held off).

While it's not on the level of many other terrible stories, the one that got the most reaction out of me on a personal level... It was when Marvel tried to replace mutants with inhumans. Part of this was them jumping ahead a few months, and then spending half a year talking about what a monster Cyclops was in those jumped-over months and how what he had just done was worse than Hitler, from every other character, mostly other mutants.

And the culmination of this story ('Death of X') was showing what actually happened that made everyone act like this (which none of the writers knew the details of, they just knew it was 'the worst thing ever', and wrote accordingly)... And what it was? Was that Cyclops tried to stop a literal poison cloud from genociding mutants. I guess the poison cloud being made of inhuman terrigen mists gives it more rights than, I don't know, all of mutantdom?

I just gave up after that.

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I worked at a comic shop part time in grad school, and I want to say the boss was charging $25 a copy for it the day it came out - and I think we sold out. I wonder how many people opened the bags to read it and felt bad about opening it and how many kept them shut and felt bad they didn't get to read it.

The worst part for me was just how stupid I thought Doomsday was. being a marvel fan it was pretty clear that since it wasn't Uncle Ben or Mar-Vell that he would be back soon anyway (the biggest surprise was how long they held off).
Well, if they kept it pristine, looks like it would be worth about $59 today. Better off parking money in the bank.

I remember that event making the evening news when I was 8...'93 was kind of slow, I guess?

overgeeked

B/X Known World

That's why I bought two. Opened one and left the other sealed.

I worked full-time in a comic shop in the late '90s. New comic day was the best. I still have Diamond boxes from previous moves. Those things are the perfect size and sturdy as hell.

Zubatcarteira

Now you're infected by the Musical Doodle
Those books are far better than they had a right to be. What do you find so bad about them?
Been a while, but it was mostly how people reacted to Superman's actions in the beginning. Completely reasonable things like getting the villains out of the cardboard prison that is Arkham, telling nations to stop wars, wiping out the giant army of mindless demons about to kill countless people, acting as if that means he's going off the deep end.

Batman was totally metagaming, and from what I recall it was mostly his actions really pushing Clark to do bad things, like helping the U.S government kidnap his parents, and being mad at him for killing the genocidal clown. All while Harley Quinn gets off pretty much scot free while she's just as guilty for the millions of deaths, iirc. Was pretty maddening to read.

MarkB

Legend
Spider-man, the latter stages of the Clone Saga. Not only the near-constant flip-flops as to which was the real Peter Parker, but the incredible convolutions they went through in order to undo every single bit of character and plot development they'd accomplished and reset everything back to the pre-existing status quo.

Remove ads