WORST Comics Storyline

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Hot take incoming, put on your firesuits folks

The entirety of the interwoven Marvel Comics Universe, from FF#1 (1960) until today - including the Ultimates Line and all others remotely linked to the main MComU. Because no storyline ever actually completes. Overall it's a huge mess, and on balance the entire storyline is pretty average with some highlights along the way.

Followed closely by the Infinite Earths of DC - all of those issues and storylines from Action #1 (1938) until today. Maybe we can leave out the Vertigo and Wildstorm stuff - except all of it has been re-woven into the rest of the continuity too. And same comments as above - no storyline every actually completes. CF "Death" of Superman

Corporate mediated "creatives" to create IP that in turn can be used to sell movies and action figures; not to create great comic stories. By definition a good story has a strong ending. If your story never ends - well then you can't get a strong ending.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
I actually liked this, and it sort of made sense after yellow for fear and green for courage (is courage an emotion?). And iirc, it was introduced in a Free Comic Book Day freebie... at least that's where me and my sons encountered it first
My problem with is that they got the color for Avarice wrong. It should have been blue. Google Cobalt Blue Flash to see a great missed opportunity.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Hot take incoming, put on your firesuits folks

The entirety of the interwoven Marvel Comics Universe, from FF#1 (1960) until today - including the Ultimates Line and all others remotely linked to the main MComU. Because no storyline ever actually completes. Overall it's a huge mess, and on balance the entire storyline is pretty average with some highlights along the way.

Followed closely by the Infinite Earths of DC - all of those issues and storylines from Action #1 (1938) until today. Maybe we can leave out the Vertigo and Wildstorm stuff - except all of it has been re-woven into the rest of the continuity too. And same comments as above - no storyline every actually completes. CF "Death" of Superman

Corporate mediated "creatives" to create IP that in turn can be used to sell movies and action figures; not to create great comic stories. By definition a good story has a strong ending. If your story never ends - well then you can't get a strong ending.

Why yes.

But it also gave us

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
@Eyes of Nine You laugh, but it was not easy for that Avengers run I picked to dodge the aborted screw up Hank story right before it and the mess up Carol story right after ... ;-)

I'll give you the "emotional rainbow" part - that IS pretty stupid, but the overall Geoff Johns Green Lantern storyline was awesome.
Are you talking War of the Lanterns, Blackest Night or the storylines into 52 - or all of it?

It became somewhat pricey having to pick up all the various titles, especially since I was paying import costs

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Are you talking War of the Lanterns, Blackest Night or the storylines into 52 - or all of it?

It became somewhat pricey having to pick up all the various titles, especially since I was paying import costs

Well, I meant overall he wrote very good Green Lantern stories, but to be more specific: The earlier stories were best. Yes, War of the Lanterns and Blackest Night were good. He lost it a bit by New52, but then IMO, everyone lost it by New52.

Hmmm. This one will be an unpopular one, but I would have to put Crisis on Infinite Earths as the overall worst.

While CoIE was certainly epic, and lived up to its tagline, the legacy which it left is one of ruin. Since CoIE, we’ve had Millennium, Zero Hour, Identity Crisis, Infinite Crisis, Final Crisis, New 52, Rebirth, Heroes in Crisis, and Doomsday Clock. I have likely forgotten a few.

The point is that the DC line was made smaller, and continuity reboots have become both far more frequent and a means of resetting continuity and making superheroes more “relevant.”

I am of the opinion that CoIE has had long lasting impacts and influence on DC comics, and superhero comics as a whole, which will continue to reverberate until it is undone.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Hmmm. This one will be an unpopular one, but I would have to put Crisis on Infinite Earths as the overall worst.

While CoIE was certainly epic, and lived up to its tagline, the legacy which it left is one of ruin. Since CoIE, we’ve had Millennium, Zero Hour, Identity Crisis, Infinite Crisis, Final Crisis, New 52, Rebirth, Heroes in Crisis, and Doomsday Clock. I have likely forgotten a few.

The point is that the DC line was made smaller, and continuity reboots have become both far more frequent and a means of resetting continuity and making superheroes more “relevant.”

I am of the opinion that CoIE has had long lasting impacts and influence on DC comics, and superhero comics as a whole, which will continue to reverberate until it is undone.
I mean, the damage was already there after decades of laxidasical approaches to continuity. Someone sooner or later was going to try to fix it, at least Crisis on Infinite Earths is solid on it's own terms.

Remove ads